Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O- Aki 2021

Shoudai has been training recently. "I faced Yutakayama for  about 10-15 bouts today," said the ever-bewildered Shoudai. "I guess my left elbow  (injured on day 1 of the joint keiko sessions) is healed now since I am able to do sumo with no problems," he said.  Last week, he went on to lift weights after doing sumo, but today he didn't, probably conscious of the fact that there is less than a week left till Aki starts. He won the yusho last Aki basho, but since then went kadoban twice and only managed double-digit wins once more. "I know deep inside I did not do well this past year. I suffered from injuries, but I somehow barely managed to keep my Ozeki rank. I'd like to not only try and keep my rank, but to move forward and attack as well from here on..  I lost too may bouts too easily. My hips are too high? If I keep thinking about that I can't concentrate on my own sumo.. I need to be able to do my one sumo, hopefully.  I don't want to get into situations where I get pushed to the edge.." he added. He was reprimanded by Kasugano Oyakata for slacking and talking too much at the joint keiko sessions. "Because of the virus, there is no chance to speak to rikishi from other heyas so I kind of let loose and my training was a bit loose as well. He saw right through me. He was just looking out for me as a fellow ex-college rikishi," he added. "It's my last basho in my twenties (soon to become 30 years old) so i want to do my best and get my kachikoshi calmly. I have hardly been able to get a kachikoshi lately, so I'll start from there. " he summed. The negative Shoudai reemerging?

202109060000477-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Mightyduck said:

I see what you did there......

Throwing shade on the next ozeki

;)

Oops-honest error. The next Yokozuna. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"I have been training daily and doing sumo. I don't know how many bouts as I have not been counting," said Takakeishou in a phone interview today.  "I'm doing what I can, and I just have to do what needs to be done.. I am cured (neck injury) . No injuries at this time. I am aiming for the yusho every single basho so I'm not thinking of my kadoban status. It's important to properly  give it my all. It's not like my neck injury is something new. I've been coping with that and doing my best. I intend to become strong doing what I usually do," he said. He started training around August 30th. Aren't you afraid to attack with your head, having that neck injury? "I need to be attacking with my head. I have been gradually doing that and polishing my oshi and tsuki as well. If I don't go all out, the fear may appear, but I have been properly going all out, so there was no anxiety," he added. "These last two months I have been maintaining a diet and doing stuff without the mawashi the best I can. The injury came from something I did, so I'm thinking a lot about what I did wrong and will attempt to fix it. I will be concentrating on myself (Terunofuji became Yokozuna. What about you??) and trying not to lose. My aim is to enter in perfect condition and go all out and gambarize!" he summed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Takakeisho really puts me in mind about that saying that courage is doing something knowing it might hurt. 

But discretion is the greater part of Valor, and he has shown that before when he fell to sekiwake intentionally to give his injuries more time to heal. Maybe he really is cured, but his (translated) words don't seem very confident. I think he might be worried about getting 10 wins in the current competitive climate, so he might be coming back before he could. 

Or, he really is cured and I'm reading too much into his words 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

But discretion is the greater part of Valor, and he has shown that before when he fell to sekiwake intentionally to give his injuries more time to heal. Maybe he really is cured, but his (translated) words don't seem very confident. I think he might be worried about getting 10 wins in the current competitive climate, so he might be coming back before he could. 

You missed out the bit where it was ex-Takamisugi who insisted he fight from sekiwake to let him heal fully rather than risk injuring himself again trying to go for 8 as kadoban ozeki. IIRC they had a nice storming row over it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Churaumi said:

Sure. I have the similar feeling that he is not quite confident with himself. We don't know how severe was his neck injury but it's a dangerous one. Believe he had MRI. Hope his decision to enter the basho was based on his doctor's advice, not on his own or his master's. 

41 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

Sure. I have the similar feeling that he is not quite confident with himself. We don't know how severe was his neck injury but it's a dangerous one. Believe he had MRI. Hope his decision to enter the basho was based on his doctor's advice, not on his own or his master's. 

I don't blame him at all for not dropping this time, assuming he can wrestle safely. He hasn't had the best couple years, and with Hakuho out, Shodai being Shodsi, and some middling sanyaku and joi, he's probably right to compete.

Doing stuff without the mawashi the best he can, rrriiiiiight....

(Sorry, the images stuck in my head ever since I read that)