Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Miyagino beya out of Aki

Recommended Posts

Miyagino beya will sit out Aki basho 2021, it was announced today. Another Miyagino rikishi was tested positive today. "First Hokuseihou, then this guy- we have to consider everything. However we look at it, this leads into the basho. We have decided the heya will be kyujo. Too bad, but that's that," said Shibatayama PR man. So no, Hakuhou, no Enhou, no Ishiura. Same thing happened last January with Miyagino beya, because Hakuhou was infected back then. As for Minato beya (Ichinojou infected) and Oguruma beya (Sewanin infected), they are both in.

Late edit- final decision on Minato-beya will be made in the coming days. "At this point there is no problem with Ichinojou entering but we'll see what happens after he takes another test in the coming days," explained Shibatayama.

More edits: Miyagino personnel Takashima Oyakata, Makuuchi gyoji Shikimori Kandayuu and Makuuchi yobidashi Ryuuji will be entering, as they did not come in contact with the heya rikishi.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One good part for me, no intai for Hakuho.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to think Hakuho will never again complete two consecutive tournaments. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

One good part for me, no intai for Hakuho.

I can see the rikishi drawing straws to see who has to go lick door handles to get the yokozuna an extra two months' recovery time.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, he's had it, so he's the most bullet-proof person in the heya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be good news for Enho. Another performance like the last 2 basho would put him in makushita. Gives him 2 extra months to figure out what is wrong with him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ryafuji said:

I'm beginning to think Hakuho will never again complete two consecutive tournaments. 

Considering he has at most 6 more basho including Aki (due to Miyagino retiring next August and clearly given all of Hakuho's prolific recruiting efforts, that stable is not going to be transferred elsewhere), that's probably not a bad thing for him in terms of maintaining his fitness without attracting yet more unwanted criticism

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hakuho survives another day of not having to listen to the NSK and YDC hound him about things. Good or bad? At this point I don't know and also not sure if I care either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ryafuji said:

I'm beginning to think Hakuho will never again complete two consecutive tournaments. 

Only beginning to? I'm somewhere in the middle of thinking it, or perhaps more towards the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Somewhere, Hakuho is dancing a little jig. 

So, he still gets his salary?  Ka-ching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

So, he still gets his salary?  Ka-ching.

As far as I know, as long as they are on the banzuke, they get pay and bonuses according to their rank. The only exception I know of is if there is a punitive pay deduction, but that's actually pretty rare. 

It was before 'rona, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

The thing is, he's had it, so he's the most bullet-proof person in the heya.

That's the magic of it. A forced sitout for free, as it were.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

That's the magic of it. A forced sitout for free, as it were.

The other magic, like it or not, is that if he is healthy, there is still no one who can beat him.  (And that is sad)

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Asojima said:

The other magic, like it or not, is that if he is healthy, there is still no one who can beat him.  (And that is sad)

That's a very big if, going by his performance last basho, where he's wrestling as if he's not. He's come pretty damn close to being upset repeatedly over the past few years.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

That's a very big if, going by his performance last basho, where he's wrestling as if he's not. He's come pretty damn close to being upset repeatedly over the past few years.

Close doesn't count except in ........

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Right, lads. Hakuho isn’t feeling up to it this time but another kyujo and he’ll have to retire, so who’s going to take one for the team and get themselves covid-19?”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

That's a very big if, going by his performance last basho, where he's wrestling as if he's not. He's come pretty damn close to being upset repeatedly over the past few years.

The perfect 15 and 0 performance? ;-) It seems like he sure is struggling against the super duper talented new guy's /s

 

Hakuho is well knows for being super competitive and driven to win. I very much doubt that he wants to miss any Basho. And coming off a perfect tournament he looked to be in a favorable position to win this one. It is sad that he will not get to try, and that no one will get the opportunity to test themselves against the best of all time. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real truth is that Hakuho is suddenly vulnerable thanks to Shonanzakura's unexpected intai. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

The real truth is that Hakuho is suddenly vulnerable thanks to Shonanzakura's unexpected intai. 

How many horcruxes are left?

Edited by Masunofuji

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Morningstar said:

The perfect 15 and 0 performance? ;-) It seems like he sure is struggling against the super duper talented new guy's /s

 

Hakuho is well knows for being super competitive and driven to win. I very much doubt that he wants to miss any Basho. And coming off a perfect tournament he looked to be in a favorable position to win this one. It is sad that he will not get to try, and that no one will get the opportunity to test themselves against the best of all time. 

He should be allowed to enter the basho. He had been infected and vaccinated, thus most unlikely to be infected again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this