Kintamayama

New recruits for Aki 2021

Posted (edited)

Two new tsukedashi qualifiers were announced today. Mongolian Dergerbayar (Naruto-beya) will start off at Makushita 15 tsukedashi, while Kazakhstani Yelshin  Ersin Batalgul ( Kise beya) will start at Sandanme 100 tsukedashi. The first guy was college Yokozuna (Nittaidai) in 2020.  The other one (Nichidai) was a top four finalist in the same tournament. The question is when they will make their debut. Are they counted as foreigners? Japanese? Both heya have no foreigners, so I'm guessing foreigners. Visa? Or as ex-college they are exempt from the cooling off period?

Dergerbayar:

202108300000602-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 9

Posted (edited)

Dergerbayar's no relation to Asashoryu, is he? He looks quite a bit like him in the upper face, but the chin is quite a bit more substantial - or is it just me?

Edited by Seiyashi

Posted (edited)

Was wondering what happened to Yersin - glad to see he got a spot. 

Both these guys are good and should reach sekitorihood. Delgerbayar is the more accomplished of the pair, but Yersin improved tremendously over his college career (he was a bumbling buffoon when he started - I think he came to college without any sumo background), and at his peak in 2020 was arguably the best collegiate competitor. 

Yersin, about 192cm/175kg

He is powerful and primarily a thruster, but capable moving forward on the belt as well. Most of his college opponents were blasted out before they could even get started.

His weaknesses are that he's a bit slow and prone to losing his footing when he misses with a thrust - although he usually manages to stay on his feet rather than going full Toyohibiki. A promising sign is that he won the East Japan championship, and as this post suggests, winners of that tournament have typically done very well as pros.

A typical Yersin power display, in the semifinals of the 2019 All Japan Championship

Delgerbayar, about 186cm/155kg

Delgerbayar has amateur wins over the likes of Kizakiumi, Oshoryu, Terasawa, Fukai, Tokisakae, and Yersin too. Before starting sumo he was a national champion (in Japan) in freestyle wrestling.

His style is to bend low and look for pulldowns and ways of unbalancing opponents rather than to find a good grip. He does a lot of those head to head, grab each other's hands stand offs. I find his sumo rather ugly and unconventional, but it works for him. One thing that is noticeable, is that his stance is often much more turned to the side than usual, almost like a boxer's, and this can lead to a lack of stability against hard chargers. The low stance also makes him vulnerable to being pulled down himself

This match is fairly representative, minus the weird bit at the start.

As for the apprenticeship - no idea about Yersin's timeline, but Delgerbayar has been doing it for a while and should be in action this year.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Very exciting to see these two finally officially at heya. I will try to manage my expectations, but I have high hopes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Dergerbayar's no relation to Asashoryu, is he? He looks quite a bit like him in the upper face, but the chin is quite a bit more substantial - or is it just me?

That's the first thing I thought of, too!

• Like 1

On 30/08/2021 at 15:21, Seiyashi said:

It's not just you -- I thought there was a likeness as well.

On 30/08/2021 at 08:02, Kintamayama said:

Two new tsukedashi qualifiers were announced today. Mongolian Dergerbayar (Naruto-beya) will start off at Makushita 15 tsukedashi, while Kazakhstani Yelshin  Ersin Batalgul ( Kise beya) will start at Sandanme 100 tsukedashi.

Will they begin competing in the Kyushu basho?

6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Will they begin competing in the Kyushu basho?

I asked the same question, although I feel they will be entering Aki.

30 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I asked the same question, although I feel they will be entering Aki.

Are they still able to enter Aki even if they are not on the Aki Banzuke?  Is that how the "tsukedashi" arrangement works?

When the NSK acknowledges a tsukedashi, it means the one is to start in that upcoming basho, scheduled like the TD position.

50 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Are they still able to enter Aki even if they are not on the Aki Banzuke?  Is that how the "tsukedashi" arrangement works?

The 2 were obviously long enough in the heya to have their visa ready and the NSK said go.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sumojoann said:

Yes, that's what the rank is for.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Well, the reason I asked is because there are two guys at Ms15 already, and neither of them is Delgerbayer; and neither Sd100 is Batalgul.  I'd think the NSK would have put them in there before publishing the banzuke.  Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Well, the reason I asked is because there are two guys at Ms15 already, and neither of them is Delgerbayer; and neither Sd100 is Batalgul.  I'd think the NSK would have put them in there before publishing the banzuke.  Am I missing something?

Yes, you are. That's why he is  Makushita 15 tsukedashi, (and not Makushita 15which is an add-on to the banzuke and should appear after day 1.

Edited by Kintamayama

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:
3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Tsukedashi is basically the unwritten equivalent of haridashi - when there is a tsukedashi entrant there will be more than 2 rikishi sharing that particular rank.

See e.g. Mitakeumi's Ms10TD debut (db/NSK)and Asanoyama's Sd100TD debut (db/NSK): both of them were basically shoved in under the rank. However, whether or not this is done after the fact (as it's easy to digitally manipulate electronic banzuke) is a different matter altogether, since I can't find the actual banzuke from those basho (there's no actual archive of the pictorial banzuke, is there?)

Edited by Seiyashi

I thought they had to pass the shindeshi-kensa before they could apply for the visa, which would mean undergoing the kensa with the Aki shindeshi group, but not competing until Kyushu.  The last foreign tsukedashi was Mitoryu and he had to wait a basho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The banzuke on the db says "No Shin-Deshi".

As I wrote at the start-I wonder if they will be entering Aki or Kyushu.

Edited by Kintamayama

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

The banzuke on the db says "No Shin-Deshi".

That's always so, only after the participants at the shin deshi kensa are announced, they appear in the DB. The number of those who applied for the exam should be announced soon.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

As I wrote at the start-I wonder if they will entering Aki or Kyushu.

Think of it this way: Joining (ozumo) in Aki, entering (the basho) in Kyushu.

27 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Remains the question, when did they join the heya (kenshuu period and so on) and how do we split that from joining ozumo - better call it joining (the NSK)

Edited by Akinomaki

22 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

I think so too, but the announcement from the Kyokai didn't mention the visa thing, which it usually does in relevant cases, which got me thinking maybe Aki after all, for some reason. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

(there's no actual archive of the pictorial banzuke, is there?)

There must be somewhere but I cannot find it on any of the English sites I know, including the forum. It would be a good thread to add, possibly, for our next sumo forum yokozuna. Although anyone embracing such a challenge might find it difficult to get the retroactive bashos. It must exist in Japanese somewhere, though, already and those who read kanji could access the Japanese site if it exists. Have you tried the NSK site in Japanese?

9 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

whether or not this is done after the fact (as it's easy to digitally manipulate electronic banzuke) is a different matter altogether, since I can't find the actual banzuke from those basho (there's no actual archive of the pictorial banzuke, is there?)

The NSK is selling the actual banzuke and digitised versions only appear for the basho at hand, like John Gunning is providing. This quality you won't easily find elsewhere, lesser quality may be somewhere on Twitter, but you need to collect the links, like I usually do for the makuuchi picture banzuke. Amazon.jp "provides" some, with the page they sell the banzuke with, as do similar sites that sell them.

There may be more archives of really old banzuke, than for those from recent years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1