Kintamayama

New recruits for Aki 2021

5 new recruits underwent the physicals today, including  the Mongolian Delgerbayar and Kazach Ersin. No info if they are entering Aki or not. I still have a feeling they are as it isn't noted otherwise.

Edit: Or not..

Delgerbayar:4YLB3VZH3FM53C77BTRPRF7HKA.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

5 new recruits underwent the physicals today, including  the Mongolian Dergerbayar and Kazach Ersin. No info if they are entering Aki or not. I still have a feeling they are as it isn't noted otherwise.

Based on Ichinojo, it appears they will go through Maezumo this basho and then take up their accelerated ranks (foreign rikishi seem to be spending an extra basho going through the preliminaries).  Is that your understanding?

22 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Based on Ichinojo, it appears they will go through Maezumo this basho and then take up their accelerated ranks (foreign rikishi seem to be spending an extra basho going through the preliminaries).  Is that your understanding?

Tsukedashi never go through maezumo, unless they drop off the banzuke later. The DB may put foreigners into maezumo for the basho they are not allowed to compete, because they have no visa yet, but that has nothing to do with what really happens. I made that remark in the past, it should rather be banzuke gai they go through.

Sorry, I must have misread something.  On the Sumo db, Ichinojo was in Maezumo for 11/2013 (0-0-2), then Ms15TD for 1/2014.  Roga was Mz for 9/2018 (0-0-3), then Mz for 11/2018, then Jk23 for 1/2019.  Azumaryu also has a 0-0-1 Mz before his "real" Mz.  Mitakeumi and Asanoyama, on the other hand, went directly to their Tsukedashi ranks without Maezumo.  The "kyujo" scores for the foreigners must represent what you were referring to.

I just noticed Dergerbayar is 24. So he gets in by the recently changed age limit rule.. 

Joining Yamahibiki-beya is 18-year-old Yuki Masutani (桝谷 勇稀) from Hyogo prefecture. Same as the shisho (former Maegashira Ganyu), Hyogo natives make up more than half the heya now IIRC.

yJBpcvws_o.jpg

The other two recruits are a Nakanishi (中西) for Futagoyama-beya, and another Urasaki (浦崎) for Tatsunami-beya - younger brother to Byakuen (and incidentally, both are younger brothers to the retired Kotourasaki).

• Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Joining Yamahibiki-beya is 18-year-old Yuki Masutani (桝谷 勇稀) from Hyogo prefecture. Same as the shisho (former Maegashira Ganyu), Hyogo natives make up more than half the heya now IIRC.

8 out of 15, including the top ranker Kitaharima.  More importantly, the last 6 entering rikishi are from Hyogo.

I thought everyone in Delgerbayar's graduating class was born in 1998 or later....Ishizaki for example was his college teammate in the same year, and is only 22. Kanno, Nishikawa, and Osanai were all in the same year in college, and were born in 98 or 99.

If he's 24 he must've started school late or been held back at some point. Maybe when moving from Mongolia to Japan?

Edited by Katooshu

Nikkan reveals Delgerbayar's full shikona - Oshoma Deki (欧勝馬  出喜). They also confirm that we'll have to wait until November to hear it out loud. 187cm, 150kg at the shindeshi-kensa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Nikkan reveals Delgerbayar's full shikona - Oshoma Deki (欧勝馬  出喜). They also confirm that we'll have to wait until November to hear it out loud. 187cm, 150kg at the shindeshi-kensa.

I think the Kyokai will go with Oshouma as the last letter is a full uma horse one, not my type. おうしょううま.   i'm going with Oushouuma. The "Ou" from the Oyakata's original Europe shikona, the "shou" from the Oyakata's first name (Katsunori, different reading) and the horse? "I've heard his parents had a lot of horses, back home, so.." explained ex- Kotooushuu. First name- Deki.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I think the Kyokai will go with Oshouma as the last letter is a full uma horse one, not my type. おうしょううま.   i'm going with Oushouuma. The "Ou" from the Oyakata's original Europe shikona, the "shou" from the Oyakata's first name (Katsunori, different reading) and the horse? "I've heard his parents had a lot of horses, back home, so.." explained ex- Kotooushuu. First name- Deki.

Bit of a catch for the yobidashi though, having to separately sing the u- after a long -ou consonant. However it ends up pronounced, I bet you it's going to wind up sounding like Ou-shou-ma anyway when the yobidashi sing it.

2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Bit of a catch for the yobidashi though, having to separately sing the u- after a long -ou consonant. However it ends up pronounced, I bet you it's going to wind up sounding like Ou-shou-ma anyway when the yobidashi sing it.

If the hiragana Nikkan gave is correct the yobidashi may go that way, but I can hear the gyoji going the full "Ou-shou- uma" route.

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Uma is read short ma, like in Ama. Oshouma as shikona is not MY type rather because it sounds like Chiyoshouma, the henka king.

25 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Uma is read short ma, like in Ama. Oshouma as shikona is not MY type rather because it sounds like Chiyoshouma, the henka king.

Hiragana that was given says differently, sir.  おうしょううま. It would be  おうしょうま , if it were like Chiyoshouma.. This, depending if the hiragana given is correct. Since Kotooushuu gave him the shikona, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes with the full "uma" reading.

30 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Hiragana that was given says differently, sir.  おうしょううま. It would be  おうしょうま , if it were like Chiyoshouma.. This, depending if the hiragana given is correct. Since Kotooushuu gave him the shikona, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes with the full "uma" reading.

Kotooshu apparently likes the simple readings, not those a Japanese (born) would typically use. Feels like glueing together words as the way to produce more complex ones, the German way. This makes the shikona not my type both for your and my reason.

On 04/09/2021 at 04:50, Kaminariyuki said:

There must be somewhere but I cannot find it on any of the English sites I know, including the forum. It would be a good thread to add, possibly, for our next sumo forum yokozuna. Although anyone embracing such a challenge might find it difficult to get the retroactive bashos. It must exist in Japanese somewhere, though, already and those who read kanji could access the Japanese site if it exists. Have you tried the NSK site in Japanese?

I did, but they only show the records formatted in HTML and not the pure JPEG file. On the one hand I wouldn't be surprised if URL manipulation and search indexing exposes an image version of the banzuke, but on the other hand I would also be surprised that it exists in that format at all.

Which leads me on to a sort of related question: if the main banzuke is hand-written by the gyoji, how are the copies produced? I'm wondering what sort of reprographic process they use for the small copies you see the heya folding and giving out, considering it seems to be a practice that predates modern digital printing.

Edited by Seiyashi

26 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I did, but they only show the records formatted in HTML and not the pure JPEG file. On the one hand I wouldn't be surprised if URL manipulation and search indexing exposes an image version of the banzuke, but on the other hand I would also be surprised that it exists in that format at all.

Which leads me on to a sort of related question: if the main banzuke is hand-written by the gyoji, how are the copies produced? I'm wondering what sort of reprographic process they use for the small copies you see the heya folding and giving out, considering it seems to be a practice that predates modern digital printing.

The gyoji writes it four times larger than the print we see. In old times they used wood block print, then the printing techniques of the time, shrinking the original to usual banzuke size.

20 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I just noticed Dergerbayar is 24. So he gets in by the recently changed age limit rule.. 

No need for the exemption, the tsukedashi age limit has been "under 25" for a long time.

Edit: Notable case of a tsukedashi starter who didn't need to conform to the general "under 23" rule: Takamifuji

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I saw that reading last night, but I assumed it was a typo. Looking at the heya media just now, they give it as the shorter version, おうしょうま.

Edited by Yubinhaad

22 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

I saw that reading last night, but I assumed it was a typo. Looking at the heya media just now, they give it as the shorter version, おうしょうま.

I figured.. .. 

Edited by Kintamayama

20 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

17 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

8 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

I just now noticed that the heya also says the given name reading is Degi (でぎ), not Deki as reported by Nikkan. (Sigh...)

Pics from the shin deshi kensa from the NSK Twitter

E-lNkh-VIAIqJzr.jpg:large

E-lNhwAVIAgGxuo.jpg:thumbo  E-maXijVEAIpjMo.jpg:thumbo

Ersin

E-lNjENVQAAx_RT.jpg:large

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 06/09/2021 at 07:56, Yubinhaad said:

yJBpcvws_o.jpg

The other two recruits are a Nakanishi (中西) for Futagoyama-beya, and another Urasaki (浦崎) for Tatsunami-beya - younger brother to Byakuen (and incidentally, both are younger brothers to the retired Kotourasaki).

Anything to note about these three? Or are we just waiting for their Maezumo bouts?