Yamanashi

Ridiculous Predictions Aki 2021

I'm not sure "ridiculous" describes the above, but I don't know any other words, either.  Just ... wow.

• Haha 1

Meisei ends the Aki basho with yet another 8-7 record, trying to affirm Xeno's paradox by approaching Ozeki in smaller and smaller increments but never reaching it.  Moving up from S1w to S1e after the Kyushu basho, he completes five more minimum KK's and is awarded the first S1n (North) rank.

• Haha 4

Ishiura makes a legit run for the win. 
Shodai looks like he knows what he is doing

Endo wins the basho

Terunofuji completely sucks and embarrasses himself in his first tournament as a yokozuna

23 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Are you sure you meant to post that in this thread? Hakuho is one of my favorites but I consider this entirely plausible. Not likely, and not being mean, but I think it's well shy of ridiculous. Yokozunas usually seem to get konosubi on Day 1 (and from the west for an east yokozuna) but they do sometimes get paired to M-1. And, I think on any given day, Hoshoryu could beat anyone in makuuchi.

To be honest I was playing the anti-jinx game. I actually hope Terunofuji gets his revenge on Hakuho :)

15 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

story

You're not suppose to release the script before the basho in a place that Mike can see it.

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin

14 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I'm not sure "ridiculous" describes the above, but I don't know any other words, either.  Just ... wow.

This thread is going literary. Where are the Mods!?  

On 01/09/2021 at 00:11, Ichimawashi said:

Miyagino rikishi pitch a perfect yusho, all of them KK by Day 11 and several in yusho races at all levels.  Surprisingly, [...]

I think this, and the earlier novella by @sumojoanngoes waaaay beyond a ridiculous prediction and can be best classified as sumo fiction deserving its own thread.

• Like 1

As for a ridiculous prediction, how about this one: Ishiura, having perfected his hinerite, remains undefeated till day 15, and has tt face Hakuho in the kettei-sen for the yusho, and is henka'd by the Yokozuna causing an immediate call for his retirement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, orandashoho said:

As for a ridiculous prediction, how about this one: Ishiura, having perfected his hinerite, remains undefeated till day 15, and has tt face Hakuho in the kettei-sen for the yusho, and is henka'd by the Yokozuna causing an immediate call for his retirement.

Wouldn't that be so Hakuho-ish? "But Yokozuna, you taught me everything I know!" "Yes, son, but not everything I know."

• Haha 3

Asashoryu wins his 50th yusho! In attendance on senshuraku are Dr. Emmett Brown and Marty McFly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We've reached the moment when "Hakuho yusho!" is a ridiculous prediction.

2 hours ago, Sue said:

We've reached the moment when "Hakuho yusho!" is a ridiculous prediction.

Not ridiculous, impossible ... big distinction.

Sumo is so unpredictable that my "ridiculous" predictions tend to be the actually impossible ones; anything else could actually happen. E.g. Hatsu 2020: hey, let's predict a Tokushoryu yusho!

• Like 1

Aoiyama and Tochinoshin both have a terrible basho, and they see the writing on the wall.  The Kasugano pair first investigate becoming a tag team in the NJPW ("The Black Sea Bandits"), but soon realize that they wouldn't last long in that venue.  Instead, after dropping through Juryo Aoiyama opens an Eastern European restaurant in Sumida Ward, with Tochinoshin acting as silent partner and source for lots of walnut-and-garlic infused recipes.  One of the house specialties is the Beef Tripe Chanko.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Aoiyama and Tochinoshin both have a terrible basho, and they see the writing on the wall.  The Kasugano pair first investigate becoming a tag team in the NJPW ("The Black Sea Bandits"), but soon realize that they wouldn't last long in that venue.  Instead, after dropping through Juryo Aoiyama opens an Eastern European restaurant in Sumida Ward, with Tochinoshin acting as silent partner and source for lots of walnut-and-garlic infused recipes.  One of the house specialties is the Beef Tripe Chanko.

That's hardly ridiculous. Both of them emerging 10-0 and leading the yusho race would be more ridiculous than that.

EDIT: After Tochinoshin's very spirited defence against Kotoeko, I might have to go find a crow if Aoiyama puts up some fight too...

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

That's hardly ridiculous. Both of them emerging 10-0 and leading the yusho race would be more ridiculous than that.

EDIT: After Tochinoshin's very spirited defence against Kotoeko, I might have to go find a crow if Aoiyama puts up some fight too...

Well, yeah, but it was the rest that held the most ridiculosity.

[I was pretty proud of the name "Black Sea Bandits".  I realized that while Georgia is in "Asia" and Bulgaria is in "Europe", they're really just across the big lake from each other.]

Toch seems to be a proud man (well-deserved),  so I think he keeps a couple of sky cranes in reserve each basho, just to remind everyone what his peak performance was.

Ridiculous prediction: the YDC doesn't grumble about either of the Yokozuna after the basho.

• Like 2

So, after Takakeisho's dreadful start and pressumably bad state, a (not so) ridiculous prediction: Hakuho intai on purpose so the sumo association does not have a second Ozeki, not even a Yokozuna-Ozeki one! They are forced to choose between a makekoshi Mitakeumi and a M1 Hoshoryu with JY to promote to Ozeki, to fill in the rank!

5 hours ago, Stelios said:

So, after Takakeisho's dreadful start and pressumably bad state, a (not so) ridiculous prediction: Hakuho intai on purpose so the sumo association does not have a second Ozeki, not even a Yokozuna-Ozeki one! They are forced to choose between a makekoshi Mitakeumi and a M1 Hoshoryu with JY to promote to Ozeki, to fill in the rank!

Well, unfortunately Shodai will also have to fall for that to happen. What happens in that case is Terunofuji is Y1eYO and Shodai is O1w to balance out the banzuke. That said, I can completely see Hakuho picking a time to intai deliberately to cause this kind of shenanigans, so... (Laughing...)

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Well, unfortunately Shodai will also have to fall for that to happen. What happens in that case is Terunofuji is Y1eYO and Shodai is O1w to balance out the banzuke. That said, I can completely see Hakuho picking a time to intai deliberately to cause this kind of shenanigans, so... (Laughing...)

Who was it who said a month or so ago: "In ten years, people will talk about the Yokozuna and Ozeki of this period and leave Shodai out because they forgot about him"?  This is the second time in two months!

[Edit: that person was me.](Blushing...)

Edited by Yamanashi
  • Haha 2

Asashoryu,Harumafuji and Akebono gatecrash the basho and declare themselves the New world order of  Sumo,they start recruting wrestlers from the active ranks and beat up the ones that dont join...

Terunfuji converts to Chistianity and refuses to fight on Sunday's,forcing his retirement...

Someone in sanyaku manages double-digit wins.