Asashosakari

Banzuke for Aki 2021

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:
16 minutes ago, Sue said:

If Hakuho is so great, why hasn't he been able to improve on his career high rank in fourteen years?

I'm relatively new to Sumo, but what rank comes after dai-Yokozuna, and why can't he break through to that level??

He has. That rank is called "Pain in the NSK's Ass".

EDIT: Perhaps not quite as tongue in cheek as I thought. When your rank is basically secure and you can't be promoted further, you have a lot more latitude to be irritating to your superiors as long as you don't actually give them a reason to force you out - like roughing someone up. Contrast to an ozeki who still needs to be in the NSK and YDC's good graces to be promoted to yokozuna. Of course, what impacts the irritations have on your oyakata career post-retirement is a different question altogether...

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

He has. That rank is called "Pain in the NSK's Ass".

EDIT: Perhaps not quite as tongue in cheek as I thought. When your rank is basically secure and you can't be promoted further, you have a lot more latitude to be irritating to your superiors as long as you don't actually give them a reason to force you out - like roughing someone up. Contrast to an ozeki who still needs to be in the NSK and YDC's good graces to be promoted to yokozuna. Of course, what impacts the irritations have on your oyakata career post-retirement is a different question altogether...

Hakuho is probably set for life financially.  He might be content to open his own heya, bring up some new superstars and flip the bird to the NSK for the next 30 years. ;-)  He may have learned some life lessons from Miyagino.

Edited by Asojima

Posted (edited)

Banzuke topics Aki 2021

- Terunofuji becomes the 73rd yokozuna. First yokozuna born in the Heisei era. Last yokozuna promotion was Kisenosato in Hatsu 2017. First yokozuna from Isegahama beya since Harumafuji in Aki 2012. 5th Mongolian yokozuna, 7th foreign yokozuna overall. At 29 years 7months, Terunofuji is the 6th oldest yokozuna promotion in the 6 basho era. 4th wrestler to go from sekiwake to two ozeki basho to yokozuna promotion (Tochigiyama, Futabayama, Terukuni). Second wrestler to make yokozuna after having fallen from ozeki once
- Takakeisho is kadoban for the 4th time in his career
- 2nd consecutive basho at sekiwake and 8th consecutive sanyaku basho for Mitakeumi
- Meisei is the newest sekiwake promotion since Takanosho in November 2020. First new sekiwake for Tatsunami beya since the current shisho took over the heya, and first new sekiwake for the heya since Kitao (Futahaguro) in Natsu 1985. 6th wrestler from Kagoshima Prefecture since Terao in Haru 1989
- Asanoyama is the latest ozeki demotion since Takayasu in Hatsu 2020
- 6th consecutive sanyaku basho for Takayasu, first appearance at komusubi since Haru 2021
- Ichinojo appears at komusubi for the first time since Haru 2018. Last appearance in sanyaku was Natsu 2019 for a 13 basho absence
- Yutakayama returns to makuuchi since Haru 2021
- Last time there was one promotion to makuuchi was in Nagoya 2000
- Hokuseiho makes his juryo debut and is the newest promotion from Miyagino beya since Enho in Haru 2018. 79th wrestler from Hokkaido and the first since Ichiyamamamoto in Nagoya 2019. Hokuseiho's rise to Juryo was 8 basho, which ties him for 7th place. Tied for first place to have the least amount of losses before juryo with 3. Tied with Jokoryu, Tosayutaka and Kotetsuyama
- Asashiyu makes his juryo debut and the first sekitori debut since the current shisho took over Takasago beya. First sekitori from the heya since Asagyokusei in Aki 2019. 13th wrestler from Mie prefecture to make juryo since Asagyokusei. 12th sekitori from Toyo University and the first since Tohakuryu Hatsu 2021. 6th sandanme tsukedashi to make juryo and the first since Tohakuryu
- Churanoumi returns to juryo since Natsu 2021

Edited by WAKATAKE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Akiseyama: only rikishi in history to do this twice: get demoted to makushita straight after getting demoted to juryo

Edited by Faustonowaka
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Faustonowaka said:

Akiseyama: only rikishi in history to do this twice: get demoted to makushita straight after getting demoted to juryo

As with any dubious record, I was going to :haha: react to this but then on reflection that's just, I dunno, sad? Unlucky? Was his first demotion caused by injury as well, or just bad performance?

Edited by Seiyashi

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

As with any dubious record, I was going to :haha: react to this but then on reflection that's just, I dunno, sad? Unlucky? Was his first demotion caused by injury as well, or just bad performance?

The latter, a 4-11 from maegashira 16 followed by a 1-14 from juryo 5 with no obvious injury problems. The jaw fracture in May was his first career kyujo.

Edited by ryafuji
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how to justify putting Wakatakakage ahead of Kotonowaka and Tamawashi.  With all the banzuke luck going around, I don't see why Yutakayama isn't at M12 at least.

1 hour ago, Ack! said:

Not sure how to justify putting Wakatakakage ahead of Kotonowaka and Tamawashi.  With all the banzuke luck going around, I don't see why Yutakayama isn't at M12 at least.

Well, he's high enough to survive a 7-8, and mayyyybe a 6-9 with a little luck. By the numbers, he's only down by one rank.

16 hours ago, Sue said:

Well, he's high enough to survive a 7-8, and mayyyybe a 6-9 with a little luck. By the numbers, he's only down by one rank.

How do you figure that?  10-5 by the numbers is good for a 5-rank promotion.

37 minutes ago, Ack! said:

How do you figure that?  10-5 by the numbers is good for a 5-rank promotion.

J1 to M14, with M17 on the banzuke, is 4 ranks. 5 ranks would be M13.

On 30/08/2021 at 07:16, Kintamayama said:

642 rikishi in all on the banzuke, 42 heyas.

Hakkaku has the most rikishi- 29.

Kise, Kokonoe and Takasago tied for second with 26

Sakaigawa, Tamanoi and Sadogatake tied f0r 5th with 24

Takadagawa with 20 are 8th.,

Shikihide and Oitekaze have 19 to round up the top ten.

Most sekitori:

Oitekaze have the most sekitori (4 Makuuchi, 3 Juryo)

Kokonoe (5M)

Kise (4M, 1J)

Sadogatake (3M, 2J)

Miyagino (2M, 2J)

10 heya have no sekitori.

Least rikishi in a heya:

Araiso and Nishikido with 4 each, Kataonami with 5. Seven heya have one-digit rikishi.

25 foreigners on the banzuke., 19 Mongolians.

Japanese shusshin:

Tokyo 53

Osaka 34

Aichi 33

I thought Isegahama have 5 sekitori, Y Terunofuji, M Takarafuji & Terutsuyoshi, J Midorifuji & Nishikifuji

50 minutes ago, rhyen said:

I thought Isegahama have 5 sekitori, Y Terunofuji, M Takarafuji & Terutsuyoshi, J Midorifuji & Nishikifuji

Sadogatake should have been Isegahama. My bad.

On 31/08/2021 at 02:01, Seiyashi said:

I look at it the other way.  It is amazing that he even made it to the Makuuchi division more than once.   I love to watch him win at any level. 

• Like 1

On 30/08/2021 at 00:30, Yubinhaad said:

Former Juryo Daiseido is now Daiseiryu, perhaps hoping for a change in luck as he seeks to avoid being demoted to Sandanme for the first time in his career.

Jd4e Matsui > Hogasho (豊雅将)

After his drop, Kise oyakata had proposed to Daiseido the change of shikona. Ryu is a part often given to the deshi by an oyakata, a good omen, the nobori ryu, the dragon rising to the sky.

Matsui honours two mentors from school with his first proper shikona, ga from high ( 新田 史) and sho from middle school ( 粂田 和 ). https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/202109210000543.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:
On 30/08/2021 at 06:30, Yubinhaad said:

Former Juryo Daiseido is now Daiseiryu, perhaps hoping for a change in luck as he seeks to avoid being demoted to Sandanme for the first time in his career.

Jd4e Matsui > Hogasho (豊雅将)

After his drop, Kise oyakata had proposed to Daiseido the change of shikona. Ryu is a part often given to the deshi by an oyakata, a good omen, the nobori ryu, the dragon rising to the sky.

Lucky him, it seems to have worked.

That reminds me that I forgot to post a couple of shikona notes.

On 29/08/2021 at 23:30, Yubinhaad said:

Jd15w Tabara Yuta > Chikunokura Kyuzo (筑乃蔵  久三)

The third kanji of Chikunokura's shikona is taken from the heya, but the rest is of the shusshin-honouring type. The first kanji represents Chikugo city in Fukuoka, while the given name Kyuzo is a combination of Kurume (久留米) and Mizuma (三潴) - Mizuma was a town which merged into Kurume when the city was expanded in 2005.

On 21/07/2021 at 12:04, Seiyashi said:

More like virtuous rather than determined, but "shi" comes from Shima, same as in Shimanoumi, since Asashiyu is from the same town.

The "yu" character is usually read "o", but Asashi-o would be a) inauspicious given what happened to the last one, b) unfortunately similar to the very different Asashio Taro shikona and c) ignite a whole bunch of re-romanisation discussions on this forum. According to Herouth, the choice of the kanji character has also got to do with the number of strokes in the character.

The final kanji was chosen to represent masculinity, decided with the help of heya gyoji Kimura Asanosuke, but the reading was chosen to honour the Shiyukan (志友館) sumo dojo in Shima, which Asashiyu belonged to while he was in elementary school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For someone with no sumo background Matsui/Hogasho has started pretty well, might have some decent potential in the long run.

Edited by Katooshu