Inside Sport Japan

Grand Sumo Breakdown - John Gunning Interview

It seems podcasts and videos talking about ozumo usually go in this sub forum. Let us know if we've gotten that wrong. Do many people here listen to sumo podcasts and if so which ones? How about Reddit / Twitch / Discord? Wondering what kind of audience overlap exists.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What sumo podcasts are available?

I don't listen to any yet - but I would be more than happy to try any currently available.

I don't think i ever listened to a podcast and i'm an IT guy. I like to read.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jejima said:

What sumo podcasts are available?

I don't listen to any yet - but I would be more than happy to try any currently available.

Grand Sumo Breakdown - The show above

Sumo Kaboom - Sisters from Texas covering pro and amateur sumo with interviews.

Sumo Mainichi - daily recaps and discussion during basho 

Those are the only ones we are aware of. Don't seem to be any backed by major media outlets 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Inside Sport Japan said:

Those are the only ones we are aware of. Don't seem to be any backed by major media outlets 

I have subscribed to all three.

I like podcasts in general, so let's see, if I remain a subscriber to them all by the end of the next basho. :-)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Benihana said:

I don't think i ever listened to a podcast and i'm an IT guy. I like to read.

I like to read too....

But not whilst I am driving, cooking, walking etc.  It's not really comparing the same thing, in my opinion.

I think a better comparison would be with the radio. These days I don't listen to the 'spoken' radio much, as most of the programmes that I like to listen to, I can download via podcast, and listen to at my convenience. Plus, there are plenty of excellent podcast only programmes. 

Edited by Jejima
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Inside Sport Japan said:

There's a new podcast called Inside the Dohyo presented by World of Sumo.  So far, there have been 5 episodes, all uploaded 2 months ago.  The host is Scott Finley (?sp).  He says he's been a sumo fan since the 1990s. 

Edited by sumojoann
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

There's a new podcast called Inside the Dohyo presented by World of Sumo.  So far, there have been 5 episodes, all uploaded 2 months ago.  The host is Scott Finley (?sp).  He says he's been a sumo fan since the 1990s. 

I can't find it in my podcast search :-(  Is it only on YouTube? 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Jejima said:

I can't find it in my podcast search :-(  Is it only on YouTube? 

Youtube is where I found it.  The Youtuber says he has a Facebook page.  His name is Scott Findlay.  He has a strong accent.  I'm not good with accents - sounded Scottish or Irish.  Are you able to access Youtube?

Edited by sumojoann

7 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Youtube is where I found it.  The Youtuber says he has a Facebook page but I'm not sure of the spelling of his name.  Sounded like Finley or Findley.  He has a strong accent.  I'm not good with accents - sounded Scottish or Irish.  Are you able to access Youtube?

Here is the Facebook page for World of Sumo.  It's a public group.  The host's name is Scott Findlay.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2887283744616115

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I can access YouTube - but that is not what I consider to be a 'podcast'. That becomes more like a 'TV programme' where you sit down to watch.

Edit: I have never signed up for Facebook.

I want to be able to download podcasts onto my phone, to be able to listen to, whilst I do more mundane stuff - like with a radio.

I have already listened to the latest episode from Sumo Kaboom - which got better as it went along.  The topic was 'Sumo Karaoke', which I found more interesting than I was expecting. I'll keep listening during the honbasho. One negative comment is that they mentioned several times about not being able to read Japanese, which meant that they could only speculate on stuff. I would suggest that they rope in a Japanese speaker/reader to help out prior to recording, rather than asking as part of the podcast if anyone can help translate for them.

I have also listened to the most recent episode of Sumo Mainichi, which was from the final day of the previous basho. I thought that at about an hour long, it might be too much - but actually, it was not bad at all. One constructive comment would be to consider adding quick 'stings' between obvious sections. I.e. between discussing Juryo and Makunouchi, or before the sanyaku bouts, just to break up the show a bit. I'm looking forward to listening to the daily podcasts in September.

I will try 'Grand Sumo Breakdown' tomorrow - probably.

Edited by Jejima

I like the 2 women (sisters) who do the Sumo Kaboom podcast.  They are so enthusiastic.  I especially like the fact that you can go back and listen to their old episodes, and the contents of each old episode is described in detail.  Here's the link (you have to scroll down quite a ways to see the listings for all of the old episodes).  https://sumokaboom.fireside.fm/episodes

• Like 2

A Murray Johnson Sumo podcast is what I'd like to see/hear!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Polkadot mawashi? I'll have to listen to the rest of this later. It certainly has some merit, but given my oversaturation with video-conferencing platforms, I think the podcast is more likely to appeal than the Youtube, at least for me personally. I don't see an app on my phone for podcasts, so I assume I need to find a general use app and then hunt down websites where they're downloaded?

3 hours ago, sumojoann said:

I like the 2 women (sisters) who do the Sumo Kaboom podcast.  They are so enthusiastic.  I especially like the fact that you can go back and listen to their old episodes, and the contents of each old episode is described in detail.  Here's the link (you have to scroll down quite a ways to see the listings for all of the old episodes).  https://sumokaboom.fireside.fm/episodes

Joann, you don't know these two women? Texas is such a small state, I'd think y'all might be doing Saturday Sumo Barbeques with a dohyo, some Lone Star rikishi, and maybe a mariachi band?

If not, I think you should, and I'd like an invitation since it's my idea.

Edited by Kaminariyuki
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, sumojoann said:

His name is Scott Findlay.  He has a strong accent.  I'm not good with accents - sounded Scottish or Irish.

Well, I've been working with folks who have fairly strong accents from all over the world for the last 40 years. His doesn't sound too difficult to me, but I'll leave it to someone from the UK to tell us where he's from if you really want to know. 

6 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Well, I've been working with folks who have fairly strong accents from all over the world for the last 40 years. His doesn't sound too difficult to me, but I'll leave it to someone from the UK to tell us where he's from if you really want to know. 

Very much a Glasgow /Greater Clyde accent. 

• Thanks 2

Inside the Dohyo? How about Maeden restarting Kawika Behind the Curtain! :)

On 27/08/2021 at 00:53, Jejima said:

I have subscribed to all three.

I like podcasts in general, so let's see, if I remain a subscriber to them all by the end of the next basho. :-)

The Tachiai blog team also does a couple of preview podcasts before each basho.

• Like 2

I listen to Grand Sumo breakdown. I’ve listened to all of the others, but I have to limit myself. Not enough time to listen and read everything. 

I also follow sumo on Reddit, Twitch, and Discord. I’m more active on Discord than anywhere else. 

On 28/08/2021 at 11:10, Reonito said:

The Tachiai blog team also does a couple of preview podcasts before each basho.

Yes these get posted on Tachiai but are also on the usual podcast subscription sites (iTunes etc), along with the others mentioned above

1 hour ago, themistyseas said:

Yes these get posted on Tachiai but are also on the usual podcast subscription sites (iTunes etc), along with the others mentioned above

Added to my list....

Podcasts on the new banzuke review....

Grand Sumo Breakdown (51 minutes) - this seemed too much like someone discussing their GTB entry - and where they went wrong. As I think I did roughly the same (a bit below mediocre) with my own GTB entry, I don't think that I learnt that much.  I doubt that anyone would be interested in hearing where I went wrong with my predictions for the new banzuke. I think if the person doing it was someone from the top 10 for GTB, then I could perhaps learn something.....  Also, there was a large off-topic section about days for putting out the rubbish. I think this could easily have been edited out. The show is already close to an hour long - I'd prefer something closer to the 30 minute mark.

Oh, I am enjoying the episode (half listened to, so far) with John Gunning, that started this topic, - but that might be because John does most of the talking - and it is based on his expertise.

Sumo Mainichi (68 minutes) - this was mostly enjoyable. The hosts are easy to listen to - and interesting to hear their views on the various rikishi. My main gripe with this one is that I think I am more knowledgeable than the hosts in regards to sumo as a whole (excluding the individual rikishi). For example, they debated about which of the two Yokozunas will do the first dohyo-iri on shonichi (day 1), seeming to think that the powers that be will choose who will go first, and that it could be either. It can't. Hakuho will go first on day one (and the other odd days), as he is the Yokozuna East. They also discussed the brothers Tobizaru and Hidenoumi being ranked close to each other on the banzuke, and whether or not they would face each other, (possibly on day 2). They won't. Despite being from different heyas, brothers (and cousins, for that matter) will not face each other during a regular honbasho bout. A quick look in Doitsuyama's Sumo DB (which they referred to a couple of times), would have shown that these two brothers have never met in a basho in the past, from which they might have inferred the family rule.

Sumo Kaboom (38 minutes) - I think my favourite of the three podcasts listened to about the new banzuke. They did not comment too much on the lucky/unlucky promotions/demotions, but cherry-picked a few of the rikishi to discuss. The whole show was not devoted to just the new banzuke, and covered the topic of 'slumps' in sport. At 38 minutes, it was closest to the ideal amount of time (in my opinion) for such a show.

Edited by Jejima
  • Like 2

I've been listening to some of these this week, mostly because of ISJ's OP above and the discussion that followed. My tolerance isn't as high as Jejima's above. I could not get all the way through any of them. On Sumo Mainichi, my opinion was exactly the same as Jejima's. Slightly entertaining but not savvy or knowledgeable enough for my taste. Sumo Kaboom, a little better but all of these podcasts are just too close to morning talk radio, which I find inherently irritating to listen to. The Grand Sumo Breakdown with John G. was for me the best, but having five people is at least two too many, IMO and it was too long (mostly because of all the jocular but boring banter). Since I'm on my computer, I watched this one as well as listening and I've grown to hate Zoom over the last eighteen months. If it were possible, I'd be delighted to sit down and chat with all five of these folks about sumo over a beer or shochu and some yakitori, but all three programs failed to really grab my attention or interest.

I'm probably too old and irascible for the medium. I suggest not basing any business model on my opinions, but the OP seemed to want feedback and since I took the time to investigate, I thought I'd throw my 2 yen in.

Edited by Kaminariyuki
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Jejima said:

I don't think that I learnt that much.

My main gripe with this one is that I think I am more knowledgeable than the hosts in regards to sumo as a whole 

16 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

all of these podcasts are just too close to morning talk radio

These takes strike us as interesting. When it comes to sport based podcasts, that morning talk show radio type atmosphere is exactly why many listen to them. There are of course podcasts that are educational but looking at a list here of about 100 across various sports, that doesn't really seem to be a priority in the field. Instead ex-athletes bantering with the hosts and telling after-dinner style tales as well as lighthearted banter and ribbing between hosts are the norm. 

In defense of the three podcasts in question we'd say that they are all made by relatively new fans to the sport and seem to follow the popular (casual) style prevalent in the medium.

Perhaps we presented them in the wrong way in the initial post.

This could also evolve into a wider discussion on sumo fandom in general which doesn't seem to have a huge amount of audience overlap between mailing lists, forums, subreddits, Discord servers and YouTube channels.

Having spent a lot of time reading and watching content in all of the above over the past few weeks, the difference in tone and basic assumptions in each one is something else that's striking. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inside Sport Japan said:

This could also evolve into a wider discussion on sumo fandom in general which doesn't seem to have a huge amount of audience overlap between mailing lists, forums, subreddits, Discord servers and YouTube channels.

I wonder whether this has anything to do with the average experience of the fandom in each form of media. Mailing lists and forums are much older than Reddit, Discord, and YouTube, and would tend to be populated by more seasoned fans who have followed sumo since before the advent of the Internet. Reddit and Discord I would imagine are more populated by relative newcomers to sumo fandom, and I would also imagine that there would be more overlap between these newer media channels than with mailing lists and forums.