Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

Encouraging the next generation and Ichinojo meets his match

We often talk about what can be done to promote sumo in Japan and around the world. We were treated to a fun day of cultural events in Tokyo during the January break in 2019. I just ran across some videos and photos I took, and since we're waiting for Aki to start, I thought I'd share. Besides, I figured some of you sumo aspirants might want to work on your shiko along with all the shin-deshi. Don't hurt yourselves!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was pretty clear that Ichinojo's main goal for the day, maybe even beyond promoting sumo, was not to fall on a child. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Was it just after this (and pre-COVID!) that the NSK decided "no sumo with kids"?

5 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Was it just after this (and pre-COVID!) that the NSK decided "no sumo with kids"?

That I don't know, but Ichinojo did not fall on any children while I was watching. You could tell he was concerned about the possiblty though, especially when there were two or three kids surrounding him. He wasn't the trim lad he is now, back when I shot these videos in early 2019.

Ichinojo meets his match

Very cute and funny. It would be funnier if I hadn't seen him give up easier than that in some matches. He's been better lately though. 

There is a thread from 2015 on Sumo with Kids.

Sumo for kids

By Akinomaki, October 24, 2015 in Ozumo Discussions

The last post is earlier this year, but moatly nothing going on since early 2020 (duh).

11 hours ago, Rocks said:

Ichinojo meets his match

Very cute and funny. It would be funnier if I hadn't seen him give up easier than that in some matches. He's been better lately though. 

I blame the bad back rather than lack of fighting spirit per se