Kintamayama

Hattorizakura (Shounanzakura)-intai

Shonanzakura had a weird mix of not appearing to try in his actual bouts, but sticking around for a long time anyway. I could never quite figure out what his actual attitude toward Ozumo was. I wonder if he might not have been better served if he'd been encouraged to be a yobidashi rather than a rikishi. I hope he finds success in wherever he goes next.

44 minutes ago, Sue said:

Shonanzakura had a weird mix of not appearing to try in his actual bouts, but sticking around for a long time anyway. I could never quite figure out what his actual attitude toward Ozumo was. I wonder if he might not have been better served if he'd been encouraged to be a yobidashi rather than a rikishi. I hope he finds success in wherever he goes next.

It might have had something to do with the quota of available spaces for gyoji, yobidashi, and tokoyama. There might not have been a spot available when he joined, whereas there's no limit on the number of rikishi.

1 hour ago, Sue said:

Well, according to the 1st post, Shikihide-oyakata "wanted him to continue and gambarize", so sensible career advice doesn't appear to have been forthcoming from that source.

It's okay to have the ambition to be a rikishi and it's okay to fantasize about being a great rikishi, but not realising the truth when your reaction to a tachi-ai is to fall flat on your arse...

He always came across to me as being 'a few pallets short of a full load'.

That he stuck around so long is almost as amazing as the length of this thread!

• Like 2

Hattorizakura simply loved to be a rikishi, but didn't like to fight bigger guys. He had the time of his life, with the few seconds of unpleasant moments during bouts against feasome opponents. 

He had a few fan channels on YouTube and recently, Sodachizakari declared why he supports his sempai, the guy who quit without any bout. On his channel he tells his story

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Hattorizakura simply loved to be a rikishi, but didn't like to fight bigger guys. He had the time of his life, with the few seconds of unpleasant moments during bouts against feasome opponents. 

He had a few fan channels on YouTube and recently, Sodachizakari declared why he supports his sempai, the guy who quit without any bout. On his channel he tells his story

Would you be able to give us non-japanese speakers the general gist? 

Sodachizakari has mental problems and his channel is his coming out, telling about what happened to him in hospital and about his special illness. In detail he reveals the things that happened during his short career, 2 maezumo losses and one fusempai, I shortened that to no bout, as a ranked rikishi

I can't access the videos from my portable here and can't give more details, especially not about what he admires about Hattorizakura sempai, the thing this thread should be about

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

On 01/09/2021 at 10:32, Akinomaki said:

I mean, that's like loving to be a pilot, but fearing to be in charge of flying a plane. There are places in this world where it's perfectly okay to be just a theory kinda guy, but an Ozumo stable isn't one of them, it being a professional endeavour and all.

I suppose fifty years ago he would have just joined a local amateur sumo training group, but with those not being nearly as pervasive nowadays...

Edited by Asashosakari

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

I mean, that's like loving to be a pilot, but fearing to be in charge of flying a plane. There are places in this world where it's perfectly okay to be just a theory kinda guy, but an Ozumo stable isn't one of them, it being a professional endeavour and all.

I suppose fifty years ago he would have just joined a local amateur sumo training group, but with those not being nearly as pervasive nowadays...

The sole reason for the existence of Hattorizakura is the unique Skikihide oyakata. He called for anybody who loves sumo to join his heya.

An oyakata who massages his rikishi individually.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jejima said:

I get 'forbidden' when I click on that link.

That's because he had forbidden levels of badness on the dohyo.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Jejima said:

I get 'forbidden' when I click on that link.

Me too

34 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

Me too

Maybe because you're both in England?  I got it in the US.

Buy a VPN.

Edited by Gaijingai
Wrong Info

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I can access the page in SEA.

And I can access it on land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Maybe because you're both in England?  I got it in the US.

Ha, IT revenge for the Rakuten "Giants" film we have yet to see in the US. I'd been unaware that national boundaries were so readily utilized on the WWW, but I guess I'm not surprised. 

4 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Ha, IT revenge for the Rakuten "Giants" film we have yet to see in the US. I'd been unaware that national boundaries were so readily utilized on the WWW, but I guess I'm not surprised. 

It's usually a matter of copyright, and I'm astounded at how effectively they can immediately track down a violation.  The "Music Abroad" thread in Off-Topic is full of holes for me.

This one's more likely a crude way to avoid having to make the site GDPR compliant for European visitors. 

• Like 3

Come on guys, do you really need to see a video of how Hattori does sumo??

:-D no offense to the video poster, and to Hattori himself. Otsukaresamadeshita, may you find peace and a new level of gambarizing in your next life. Signed, your illegitimate lovechild with Hakuho.

• Haha 2

On 02/09/2021 at 20:11, Gaijingai said:

For those who can’t access the video, I’m on WhatsApp, WeChat, Messenger, Signal, Skype, Line, and Telegram. 

Probably best not to have your name/ number in a post, as it will be Google searchable. Better to have people DM you for it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mightyduck said:

Probably best not to have your name/ number in a post, as it will be Google searchable. Better to have people DM you for it.

Appreciate the wise counsel, Mightyduck. I've gone back, taken down my number, and put in some wise words: Buy a VPN

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gernobono said:

strange to find him on the kyujo-list, though

He retired too late to not be on the banzuke, and obviously he didn't do anything that would merit being deleted from it a la Takagenji...he's also not a former sekitori for whom they tend to acknowledge their retirements immediately as they just did with Sagatsukasa. So he's officially counted as kyujo for this basho and his retirement will be acknowledged on the post-basho intai list. Just one of those weird quirks with how they do things.