Kaminariyuki

Classic Sumo Video

Joann dug up an excellent video featuring Yoshibayama, one of so many fascinating people stories in sumo. Feel free to post your favorite classic video link below, and a few words if you like. For the definition of classic, perhaps we can stick with black and white footage? The one Joann found below is in Japanese but features some excellent footage of the Kokugikan and, perhaps the wildest looking gyoji I've seen so far (the amazing white beard, of course) in addition to some fairly high-quality footage of 1950's sumo. I'm certain someone here will know the gyoji's name. If you want to put up a favorite video, you might want to be quick about it. Joann could get on a frenzy and post it before you have a chance.  *grins*

I started a thread in Featured Rikishi and Heyas for anyone interested in a good story and a few facts about this notable rikishi in English, "Yoshibayama, the accidental yokozuna." He's recently come up on the forum because of his use of the shiranui dohyo-iri, Terunofuji's chosen style. The thread is here:

And, here's the first classic video:

19 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

Shikimori Inosuke 19

THanks. I'll ook him up on sumodb but the site appears to have maybe crashed. What does the 19 mean?

1 hour ago, Naganoyama said:

Shikimori Inosuke 19

Here's a video that shows a close-up of Shikimori Inosuke 19 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

What does the 19 mean?

There were 18 Shikimori Inosuke before him...;-)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Washuyama said:

There were 18 Shikimori Inosuke before him...;-)

LOL, if it had been between 2 and 5, I might have guessed that. I did know we were talking about Japan, where the thread often goes back centuries. I should have guessed.

Here is a one-post thread started by SF member Terukuni last July.  It features links to old and some not-so-old videos from POND5 Sumo Video Archive.  There are over 300 sumo videos in this archive.  (My browser is old so I'm unable to watch any of the videos).  One of the videos is about Asashoryu.  It has the title "Japan: Bad Boy Sumo Wrestler Performs Holy New Year's Rite." 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Here's a video that shows a close-up of Shikimori Inosuke 19 

Is it my imagination, or was the doyo a little shorter back int eh 50s and before?

Here is an old thread of mine from 2 years ago.  The videos are actually from about 1900-1960.  (I never did get the title of my thread changed).  Two screens full of excellent old videos. 

There are so many old black & white sumo wrestling videos on Youtube, mostly of single bouts, that I don't think we can post them all.  Maybe we should stick to old black & white documentaries or other old videos that stand out.  However, some of the old individual bouts might be especially important, so I think those should be included, too.  The more knowledgeable members of SF would be better than I at recognizing which bouts those are.  I'm going to try to avoid reposting the videos that have already been posted in my thread (see above).

Posted (edited)

Here is a short video devoted to Ozeki Ouchiyama.  Per wikipedia, he was 6 feet 7.5 inches tall, the tallest rikishi in the modern era until Akebono in 1992.  He was promoted to Makuuchi in 1949, and then to Ozeki in 1955 and retired in 1959.  He was the first Ozeki over 2 meters tall since the so-called "kanban" or "guest Ozeki" of the Edo period, who were only listed on the Banzuke to draw crowds to tournaments.  Note:  Gyoji Shikimori Inosuke 19 with the long white beard referees one of the bouts.  If I recall, that's the same bout that the announcer goes crazy with excitement.  Depending on the angle viewed from, Ouchiyama sometimes resembled Frankenstein!  (Those last few sentences did NOT come from wikipedia!).

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

LOL, if it had been between 2 and 5, I might have guessed that. I did know we were talking about Japan, where the thread often goes back centuries. I should have guessed.

The latest, I think, is the 41st Shikimori Inosuke.  You can read the Wikipedia article, which gives some background information.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This video is all about the 46th Yokozuna Asashio Taro, who was born in Nov 1929, began his sumo career in Oct 1948 (same month & year I was born 72 years ago!), was promoted to Yokozuna in Mar 1959, retired in Jan 1962 and passed away in Oct 1988.  One of the amazing things I noticed on this video and on Yoshibayama's was when they went for their victory ride in a convertible among the crowd after they won a basho, THEY TOOK THE EMPEROR'S CUP WITH THEM WHILE THEY RODE AROUND IN THE CAR!!!!  Apparently, that was customary at that time.  One interesting fact about Asashio was that the Amami Islands, where he was born, were occupied by American forces in 1948.  He stowed away on a cargo ship and was supported by a relative in Hyogo Prefecture.  Later that same year, he made his professional sumo debut. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asashio_Tarō_III

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 2

There is a Japanese woman who is a Youtuber, and she was the one who uploaded the 2 videos above.  If you had the time and/or inclination to watch them, you can see that they are quite interesting from a historical perspective.  She has uploaded many more which I don't have time to post.  Here is a page showing all of the Youtube videos she has uploaded in case you would like to watch them.  (You have to keep scrolling down to see all of them).  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB2853P17Gz0v-4jpmXOiKw/videos