Sign in to follow this  
Swami

More Takatoriki nonsense.

3 hours ago, Swami said:

Almost right on cue, Chris has posted another new video today "Kasuganishiki - the man who knew too much".

Swami

Of course he knew too much - he (and his wife) pretty much orchestrated the whole yaocho thing, which, as a reminder, was mostly about giving Juryo bottom- feeders wins so they remain sekitori with all that it entails. He was selling tee-shirts at bargain prices as well..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Of course he knew too much - he (and his wife) pretty much orchestrated the whole yaocho thing, which, as a reminder, was mostly about giving Juryo bottom- feeders wins so they remain sekitori with all that it entails. He was selling tee-shirts at bargain prices as well..

Thanks for the summary. I was trying to read the whole thread from ten years ago, but I got stuck in the middle (too many pages). I guess sumo wasn't destroyed after all, like Peterao said.

• Like 1

The videos are being posted thick and fast, Takatoriki now claiming that Asashoryu was screwed - according to his ex-manager.

Swami

40 minutes ago, Swami said:

The videos are being posted thick and fast, Takatoriki now claiming that Asashoryu was screwed - according to his ex-manager.

Swami

More old hat, considering I vaguely recall Asashoryu alleging as much in the immediate aftermath of his retirement (I assume you're referring to that rather than any of his yusho being fixed).

I wonder whether something has happened - or is going to happen - prompting Takatoriki to push content at a faster rate. It certainly feels like it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

More old hat, considering I vaguely recall Asashoryu alleging as much in the immediate aftermath of his retirement (I assume you're referring to that rather than any of his yusho being fixed).

I wonder whether something has happened - or is going to happen - prompting Takatoriki to push content at a faster rate. It certainly feels like it.

F&B business going under so he switching to YouTube?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seregost said:

Thanks for the summary. I was trying to read the whole thread from ten years ago, but I got stuck in the middle (too many pages). I guess sumo wasn't destroyed after all, like Peterao said.

Those were the days..

39 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

No mention of the yusho issues yet, though that will probably get another airing in another video.

Swami

RE: the NSK suing Takatoriki for defamation: doesn't Takatoriki claim that's exactly what they are doing? At least according to this Chris video: https://youtu.be/Gy7GeV9YesU?t=345 (timestamped with the relevant section). Thing is with him, he probably welcomes it, since it shows they're aware of his videos, and can be used for a sort of "they're coming after me because I'm telling the TRUTH maaan!" angle on things.

The video that inspired this thread is more than just saying that someone has passed away which we were unaware of (and the usual "everyone was match-fixing but me" protest from Takatoriki); Chris' video on the topic says his death was "suicide; or made to look like one", implying he may have been murdered for his role in the match fixing affair.
I got the impression the angle was that his sister approached Takatoriki (via some other sympathetic currently serving oyakata) with a tape of an interview from 2011 in which she states that even back then, Kasuganishiki was afraid for his life. The fact he's now dead and "made to look like [suicide]" was mentioned seems to imply that his sister doesn't believe his death is a suicide despite that being the police's findings (thus possibly implying they're somehow in on the act as well), and the fact he was afraid for his life 10 years ago shows that this isn't something she's invented in her grief at the death of her brother (though I think that's exactly what it is).

There is no reporting that Kasuganishiki passed away however many months back, but unless someone tells the press about it, how are they to know? People often pass away and it can be months or even years until the public hears about it because the family didn't release the information to allow them some privacy, which I totally understand. I'm sure that sadly he has passed away, because if he shows up alive tomorrow then it would utterly ruin Takatoriki's credibility (what little he has anyway), and it would also seem that his sister is under the assumption he's dead too, so that part I do believe.

The real issue here is that Chris continues to make videos about Takatoriki, which gives him more credence and exposure in the eyes of the English-speaking fans who, in many cases, get the entirety of their sumo news from Chris. It's clear that most of Chris's news is from the same newspapers that everyone else gets their stories from, so if I read the same thing on NIkkan and then see Chris reporting it, I can be sure at least that much is true. But this conspiracy theory Takatoriki stuff is tiring and giving people who exclusively watch him and consume no other sumo media (aside from the basho itself presumably) the wrong idea of things.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm still very sceptical, simply because no other reliable source has reported it. It's been days now - sure Nikkan or other media that cover sumo would have been able to establish by now if it were true.Presumably there must be a death certificate that a reporter could track down.  

Edited by ryafuji

3 hours ago, Hidenotora said:

a tape of an interview from 2011 in which she states that even back then, Kasuganishiki was afraid for his life. The fact he's now dead and "made to look like [suicide]" was mentioned seems to imply that his sister doesn't believe his death is a suicide

Man, that's some Corleone-like 4D chess there; Don Oyakata waits for the buzz to die down for ten years before sending a button man to whack Kasuganishiki.

At what point can all the alleged rikishi sue Takatoriki for defamation?

As I posted before, any proof that loss of business occurred from Takatoriki's statements/videos is enough, even if the defaming statements are true.

4 hours ago, TakanohanaFan said:

I'd like the promised sequel about this Kasuganishiki affair that Chris promised to us. Chris is not providing it.

Yes, Chris is not getting that juicy content he's been wanting

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:
5 hours ago, TakanohanaFan said:

I'd like the promised sequel about this Kasuganishiki affair that Chris promised to us. Chris is not providing it.

Yes, Chris is not getting that juicy content he's been wanting

He's had his hands full with basho coverage and now running around after Miyagino and Hakuho. Guess we'll see it when he has more free time on his hands between basho. There's also that interview with Takagenji.