Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Aki joint keiko sessions

The joint Kyokai keiko sessions are back and will be held between the 23rd and the 26th of August at the Kkan after a two months hiatus. A virus test will be held a day before the sessions for all Kyokai members. "The virus is spreading nationwide so we will be testing everyone in order to keep things in check. Only rikishi with negative results will be allowed to take part in the sessions," said Shibatayama Oyakata.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It will be more interesting to see who turns up.

I am guessing that bigger heyas will not show up, Sadotagake, Oitekaze, Kise, Isegahama.

I am guessing that it will be rikishi or sekitori from the smaller one without much good competition (Roga from Futabayama, Onosho & Mitakeumi being the only sekitori in their respective larger heya)

Posted (edited)

The sessions started today. Present were Takayasu, Shoudai, Mitakeumi, Ichinojou, Ounoshou, Kiribayama, Azumaryuu, Takanoshou, Kaishou, Enhou, Nishikigi, Yago and Ouhou.

Takayasu overwhelmed Shoudai 12-3, twice beating him 5 straight times. He said he was glad to have had a good amount of bouts. "It was good keiko and I was able to show my power against Shoudai (12-3), " he said. His sparring partner at his heya is no more, as ex-Kisenosato is establishing his own heya. "I'll need to gambarize even more now. I hope to lead a sumo life with no regrets. I have a responsibility to help bring up the lower rankers of the heya and that will help me strengthen myself too," he added.

Takanoshou went 7-0 at some point and was 12-4 overall. "It was nice to face all kinds of opponents and it was a great experience," he said. 

Shoudai 6-12) injured his left arm near the end of the session. "I just want to go home and put some ice on it and ask my trainer what to do," he explained, after being shouted at by Kasugano Oyakata for not taking the session seriously enough. "I'm not moving well yet. I've got to be able to do at least ten bouts of my brand of sumo. I'll be upping the pace gradually from now on," he said. He was lending his chest to some Makushita guys and seemingly not taking it seriously enough. "With that attitude, what's the point of an Ozeki lending his chest?? Are you just trying to go through the moves? Are you an Ozeki? HEY!!" screamed Kasugano. At the beginning of the keiko, Shoudai was seen talking a lot to fellow rikishi and Oyakata. "If you're planning to blabber that much, it's best you don't come at all. Show more dignity!" shouted Kasugano Oyakata. "I guess my butsugari was lame today. It is the first day and that is what I can do at this point. I need to get my act together soon.." admitted Shoudai.

Mitakeumi faced Ichinojou and Takanoshou for five bouts. "It's been a while since I did sumo. I was able to move forward and my tachiai was OK.  I need to overcome that 10 win wall.." he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the info but pretty harsh of the oyakata but I get very protective over Shodai!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

The sessions started today. Present were Takayasu, Shoudai, Mitakeumi, Ichinojou, Ounoshou, Kiribayama, Azumaryuu, Takanoshou, Kaishou, Enhou, Nishikigi, Yago and Ouhou.

Any comments about Enhou? Worried about him after the last basho. Also, the only sekitori from Miyagino beya that came, interesting.

I watched for a while but he only seemed to be talking to oyakata at those times.

34 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Any comments about Enhou? Worried about him after the last basho. Also, the only sekitori from Miyagino beya that came, interesting.

He was blown away a few times, and held up other times. He seems fine.

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

He was blown away a few times, and held up other times. He seems fine.

Thanks for the news. (I'm out of likes again...) Hopefully, he'll have a solid basho and get back up closer to makuuchi.

Kaishou confirmed his excellent performance from Nagoya looking strong!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Enhou faced Ounoshou and others. "My body is so-so..  I'm checking out if I can do any keiko.." he said later. He lost 11 bouts last basho. "It's not only last basho-this last year I haven't been doing well. It feels like I'm fighting knowing I need to change something while trying to figure out what that is.." he added. He says he has improved his diet and his training regimen. "I tried it last basho and managed not to lose weight. I was able to maintain my diet for all 15 days*. Proteins, tomato juice, and sweet sake.." he said. He served as Hakuhou's tsukebito, a rare occurrence for a sekitori and in doing so was able to get close up and observe. "It's not only that I wanted to be his tsukebito- I had a lot of thoughts, but I managed to regain that feeling of innocence I had when i was starting out, " he explained. He hopes to return to Makuuchi soon. "First, I need to train against strong opponents - the most important thing is to experience it first-hand. I want to do what I did today tomorrow as well and gambarize!" he declared.

* and went 4-11, but I'm not judging..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Someone needs to do a weekly yonkoma called "Perils of the Accidental Ozeki Shodai"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Day 2. Shoudai absent due to arm thing, Enhou 7-2 against Juryo and under, Mitakeumi 7-8, facing Takayasu and Ichinojou. . Gotta run. Later. Or someone else with more? 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Day 2. Shoudai absent due to arm thing

I was surprised to see Takayasu resort to a kotenage on Shodai, especially as he was winning almost every bout against him. In general it seems rikishi try to avoid injury in these keiko (not much resisting at the edge etc...). Maybe just instinct kicking in.

37 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

As an aside, I would have expected Takaganjai to join the Kyokai joint training sessions.

Moti-san, I'd never thought you go this low brow (but I knew some one would)  (Laughing...)

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

As an aside, I would have expected Takagenji to join the Kyokai joint training sessions.

He was confused by the schedule; he showed up for the "Slapnastics!" breakout session, but it had been cancelled.

Posted (edited)

Hakuhou joined the session today but did not do any sumo, just the fundamentals and lent his chest for some butsugari to Takanoshou and Juryo hope Kaishou. His reason for joining on day three? "I'm waiting till I build my body a bit. The banzuke hasn't been announced yet (so it's early days..). My knee injury? Depends on what day it is. It gets better and it gets worse.." he said. He seems to be excited that there is another Yokozuna now. "Whatever you say, there's a new Yokozuna. I think it's great. He's a new rival and that gives me strength. I really want to gambarize. I was motivated by Harumafuji, Kakuryuu and Kisenosato.." he added. When the press attempted to ask him what he thinks of the YDC comments about him after the basho, the PR man interrupted. "I think we can wrap it up here.." he said. And they did.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Hakuhou was the only sanyaku and higher rikishi to participate today -12 sekitori in all. Takanoshou had the most bouts for a Makuuchi rikishi - 24 bouts, going 12-12. He faced Ounoshou for six straight and then had three more- 9 straight bouts.  "I'm able to do excellent keiko. There are not much opportunities to get together like this these days so I think this joint keiko thing is very good. I am very thankful for the butsugari session I had with Hakuhou. I don't get to learn anything from him usually so this was a precious opportunity. He told me it would be better if I used my left hand more on offence rather than just using my right. I would like to somehow gambarize when I face him next basho!" he proclaimed. It was the first time he borrowed Hakuhou's chest since he first entered Makuuchi.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Juryo 13 Kaishou had 24 bouts against Makushita rikishi as a warm up- 12-12. He then faced the Juryo guys and was 13-7. "It wasn't much different than training at the heya.. Still, there is a real difference in the power at the tachiai, and that is what I wanted to experience." he said. He then faced Hakuhou for some butsugari. As they are from the same Ichimon, he has borrowed Hakuhou's chest in the past. "I could hardly budge him. He is resilient. Especially when you hit him softly- he seems to suck the power out of you.. I don't get many chances to borrow that chest, so it was good," he said. He will be at his highest career rank next basho. "I am aiming for eight wins. As for Makuuchi, not yet - I'll take it slowly.." he summed. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Stuff from yesterday, day 2: Takayasu faced Mitakeumi , Takanoshou and Ounoshou for 10 bouts and won them all. "I want to face all types of rikishi and get a good feeling. Then, improve my stamina.." he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3