Kintamayama

We're gonna sing!

The Kyokai's youtube channel is going to feature top rikishi singing. The first one (will be up in an hour or so) will be Terunofuji.  There will be four of them.  On the 13th- Enhou. on the 15th- Oonoshou, and on the 17th Tobizaru. They will be uploaded at 7 PM JST. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

The Kyokai's youtube channel is going to feature top rikishi singing. The first one (will be up in an hour or so) will be Terunofuji.  There will be four of them.  On the 13th- Enhou. on the 15th- Oonoshou, and on the 17th Tobizaru. They will be uploaded at 7 PM JST. 

Enho was 100% stood on a box there..:-D..

The yokozuna certainly has a good voice. There seem to be an awful lot of rikishi who can sing well. Konishiki has a very good set of pipes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mightyduck said:

Enho was 100% stood on a box there..:-D..

The yokozuna certainly has a good voice. There seem to be an awful lot of rikishi who can sing well. Konishiki has a very good set of pipes.

Ikioi is the best.. 

• Like 1

Enho sounds deeper than you'd think. And while I wouldn't rule out autotune being used, I think you can hear them being off key by just enough that it's unlikely autotune was in fact used.

Edited by Seiyashi

I don't know how the Mongolians' pronunciation of Nihongo goes over with native Japanese speakers, but Terunofuji's "l" in "love" is spot on.  Surprising considering Mongolian doesn't have the "l" sound, either.

Priceless. Thanks, you lovable mountain of testicles. I think we need a new love song written for Kintamayama, to be sung with full symphony backup and three R&B back up female vocalists. Terunofuji with the lead, of course.

Wasn´t singing athletes a thing of the 80s ? The memory of football players or skiers trying their best at pop ballads of the day, usually with adapted texts celebrating their greatness, still makes me sick to the stomach.

10 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

Wasn´t singing athletes a thing of the 80s ? The memory of football players or skiers trying their best at pop ballads of the day, usually with adapted texts celebrating their greatness, still makes me sick to the stomach.

Very common in sumo, usually in the between basho NHK knockout tournament which hasn't been happening lately because of the virus-quite a few videos of the guys singing with famous Japanese pop stars. Some of the guys can really sing. This was way before autotune existed and will not make you sick to your stomach in any way.

Edited by Kintamayama

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Very common in sumo, usually in the between basho NHK knockout tournament which hasn't been happening lately because of the virus-quite a few videos of the guys singing with famous Japanese pop stars. Some of the guys can really sing. This was way before autotune existed and will not make you sick to your stomach in any way.

Did Takayasu meet his wife there?

This video will surely bring back memories!  Wow!  The retirees really outnumber the few active rikishi.  Makes me feel nostalgic.  At the very end, during the group performance, notice how enthusiastic Kisenosato is! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the best I've ever heard Kakuryu sing.  He has a wonderful voice.  I feel so much nostalgia watching these rikishi cutting loose and having fun. 

This is my favorite performance of Takayasu.  He sings beautifully, with so much passion. 

• Like 1

This is a little odd but interesting.  It's Hakuho, Kakuryu, Terunofuji, Tamawashi, Arawashi and a couple other Mongolian rikishi singing a traditional Mongolian folk song backed by a bluesy rock band!!  It looks like it takes place in Japan and the band I believe is Japanese, but Hakuho addresses the crowd in Mongolian.  Must be a Mongolian celebration of some sort.  The music kicks in at 2:10. 

Takayasu again, this time singing "Lonely Chaplin" in 2014 on the NHK Annual Charity Show. 

Rikishi at Naruto Beya singing "renseika" (sumo training song).  Supervised by their Oyakata (former Ozeki Kotooshu). 

I am so impressed by Onosho's talent.  Such a beautiful voice.  This video and some others were originally downloaded a few years ago.  I had them on one of the Playlists on my Youtube channel but they disappeared.  I'm so happy they have resurfaced. 

• Thanks 1

Another beautiful love song from Onosho.  He can really sing.  It's nice to see the rikishi showing their personalities.

• Thanks 1

Ikioi singing an enka song, my favorite genre of Japanese music.  Enka was very popular pre-war and the lyrics are sad or bittersweet.  Often songs about lost love, missing the one you love, etc.  Enka used to be thought of as older folks love songs, but it has had a resurgence in popularity in the last few years, and is now being performed by younger singers.  Enka has a distinctive sound to it, both dramatic and emotional. 

Outstanding performance by Ikioi.  The song sounds familiar.  Does anyone know if this is originally a Japanese song or is it an English-language song that has been translated into Japanese? 

Most of us are familiar with Jinku, traditional sumo folk songs sung by rikishi about what their lives are like.  Ikioi is great, of course, but the first singer is outstanding.