Kintamayama

We're gonna sing!

Ikioi sounds great until he's drowned out by voices on the video. 

4 hours ago, sumojoann said:

A lot of singing and dancing rikishi during a wedding reception.  I don't recognize any of them but the video quality is poor and they are shot from a distance.  The first one on stage has very long sideburns like you see rikishi wear in the past, so I don't know how long ago this was actually videotaped.  The bride and groom show up later on stage and everyone dances up a storm. 

Looks like Shouhouzan is the groom. The guy with the sideburns could be former Takanotsuru (current Tagonoura Oyakata). Or not.

• Thanks 1

Takayasu singing "I Just Called to Say I Love You" at a bar. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sumojoann said:

A catchy version of Over the Rainbow sung by Konishiki. 

This is the version made famous by the late Israel Kamakawiwoʻole ("Iz).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

(A man who was actually bigger than Konishiki).

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

This is the version made famous by the late Israel Kamakawiwoʻole ("Iz).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

(A man who was actually bigger than Konishiki).

Yeah, I found that version after I heard the Konishiki version.  Iz's is GREAT!  I can't believe the number of views his video has!  I had never heard of Iz until now.

Edited by sumojoann

I now envision the Grand Sumo Choir! There's going to have to be a sublimely beautiful yukata for the group (I get one too, because it's my idea!), and we're going to need an extra heavy-duty bus if we're going on tour.

19 hours ago, sumojoann said:

This video will surely bring back memories!  Wow!  The retirees really outnumber the few active rikishi.  Makes me feel nostalgic.  At the very end, during the group performance, notice how enthusiastic Kisenosato is! 

OK, this is my favorite of sumojoann's finds. And, blast, the choir idea is old hat. I need to find the words and translation for this song... If Joann doesn't post it before I find it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sumojoann said:

At the very end, during the group performance, notice how enthusiastic Kisenosato is! 

I remember well that video; posters were noticing what a stick-in-the-mud he was there.  He acts as if the whole thing was hinkaku-deficient. 

Bam! Now that he's an Oyakata, he's joking around with interviewers and getting shoulder-punched by TV comedians.  What a transformation!

4 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

OK, this is my favorite of sumojoann's finds. And, blast, the choir idea is old hat. I need to find the words and translation for this song... If Joann doesn't post it before I find it.

The Oyakata version of the Hakkeyoi Song has in the title "Ozumo Hiyonoyama Counting Song", so I wonder if it's a children's counting song set to new lyrics.  ATTENTION SF MEMBERS -- CAN ANYONE WHO UNDERSTANDS JAPANESE TRANSLATE THE HAKKEYOI SONG LYRICS INTO ENGLISH??  Arigato gozaimasu!  

• Like 1

TO EVERYONE ON SUMO FORUM -- I posted every rikishi song performance video that I could find on Youtube (with the exception of some of Konishiki's videos).  If anyone knows of any other performances that I missed, please feel free to post them.  There used to be a hilarious video of a very tipsy Takakeisho singing karaoke with a strange smile on his face, but I'm pretty sure it's been taken down.  It used to be on a Playlist on my Youtube channel but it's gone. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

You'll enjoy this thread I think!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Kaminariyuki, this is for you!  I poked around the Internet and found an old post on SF with the lyrics to the Hakkeyoi Song.  It is indeed a children's counting song.  The translation was provided by Akinomaki.  It was posted on May 26, 2012.  Thanks, Akinomaki!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The song tries to convey a good image of sumo to the kids.

Except the 10 the second word is chosen for the first sound, reminding of the hi-fu-mi counting while working

together, e.g. making the yokozuna rope.

The counting is done the original Japanese way, which only goes up to 10.

The yobidashi announces Hiyonoyama against Akawashi, Chick Mountain vs. Red Eagle, to be found on the NSK site under Hakkeyoi! Sekitori-kun.

Those two are already sekitori, but the song is about the beginners.

1 - can you say it on your own.  Hitotsu hitori de ieru ka na

"good morning" "thank you" "I'm sorry"".  Ohayou" "Arigatou" "Gomen nasai"

"good day" "enjoy the meal".  "Konnichi wa" "Itadakimasu"

in a big voice!  Ooki-na koe de !

- The basic manners - need the new kid be told this, unless he's a foreigner?

- The main thing has to be the big voice.

Yes! Ready to go! Ready to go! Ozumo !

- Hai ! Hakkiyoi! Hakkiyoi! Ozumo !

- Ready to go into Ozumo for the kid, or Ozumo is ready for new tasks?

2 - wobbling around looks bad.  Futatsu furafura shicha kakko warui

Crouching, shiko stamping, really solid !  Sonkyo shite shiko funde dosshiri to !

From the lower half to the whole body.  Kahanshin kara zenshin ni

concentrate your strength!  Chikara o komete !

- still the basics

3 - a body that's really something.  Mittsu migoto na kono karada

Eat chanko, sleep a lot, laugh a lot.  Chanko kutte yoku nete, yoku warau

all with full power.  Zenbu ni isshhokenmei

Get big!  Ookiku nare yo !

- a very bright atmosphere

4 - have a good look at your mawashi.  Yottsu yoku miro kono mawashi

Always having pride.  Hokori o itsudemo motte iru

With a strong feeling.  Tsuyoi kimochi de

let's keep going!  Funbatte ikou !

- keep going at the edge of the dohyo, like ozumo itself

5 - always have dreams.  Itsutsu itsu de mo yume o mote

Championship Sekitori Ooicho.  Yusho sekitori ooicho

When the wish is strong.  Negai ga tsuyokerya

the dream comes true!  Yume wa kanau zo !

- ooicho being the privilege of the sekitori, this is redundant. But continue to name yokozuna as the dream is maybe limited to Oosunaarashi. Hiyonoyama is listed as aiming for yokozuna though.

With vitality and courage and perseverance ready to go.  Genki to yuuki to konki de hakkiyoi

In earnest let your will to do unfold.  Honki de yaru ki o hakki suru

6 - unlimited possibilities.  Muttsu mugen no kanousei

Repeating butsukari geiko.  Butsukari geiko o kurikaeshi

To a bright future.  Kagayaku mirai e

let's march on!  Kuridasou !

7 - hold your mates in high esteem.  Nanatsu nakama o daiji ni shiyou

Because all are there you are there.  Minna ga iru kara kimi ga iru

All together.  Minna de issho ni

we do our best!  Ganbaru zo !

- this isn't limited to sumo, we all are there because of others

- I'm not sure how far the "nakama" goes, the own heya, all rikishi, all NSK members?

- the "daiji ni suru" includes: never admit to yaocho unless the police has it on your mobile

8 - if you really want, you can do it.  Yattsu yaru ki ni narya dekiru

Even before a strong opponent you won't tremble.  Tsuyoi aite ni mo bibiranai

If you go on, some day.  Tsuzukerya itsuka wa

you get confidence!  Jishin ga tsuku !

9 - this is the big bout.  Kokonotsu koko ga oo-ichiban

Calm down the excitement.  Takaburu kimochi o reisei ni

Doing the Chiri Chouzu, throwing the salt.  Chiri kiri shio maki

Natural state of mind!  Heijoshin !

- Chiri Chouzu, after the gyoji has announced them and the first salt is thrown, the opponents show that they have no weapons in their hands. Sonkyo position, facing each other knees bent on their edge of the dohyo: Hands rubbed, clapped together then arms and hands stretched sideways, slightly up, hands facing down

- so while facing each other at the shikiri-sen and staring is to get the tension high, chiri kiri and salt calm down?

(10) Finally facing the last day.  Toutou mukaeta senshuraku

All kinds of things go through your mind.  Ironna omoi ga mune kasume

Strong and just.  Tsuyoku tadashiku

Be grateful!  Kansha shite

- in 10 the count 10 Tou is part of the first word, Toutou. The last day can mean the last day of the basho or of the sumo life. Like 1 and 7, this can be applied to real life as well.

Edited May 27, 2012 by Akinomaki

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Benihana for posting the 2 Konishiki videos.  I chose to post only 2 of his because there were so many of his videos on Youtube. 

Here's the next installment from the Official Kyokai Youtube channel.  This time it's Enho and his deep voice! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Here's a brand new video that was just uploaded a few hours ago.  It's a compilation of several rikishi singing.  Most of the performances have already been posted on this thread, but there's a few seconds of Takakeisho I can't find.  The video was created, compiled and uploaded by "Sumostew", who is an enthusiastic female sumo fan. 

Edited by sumojoann

Here is the latest from the Kyokai Official Youtube Channel.  It's Onosho singing!  He has a very nice voice, although I much prefer him singing love ballads like the two that I posted earlier on this thread. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sumojoann said:

It's Onosho singing!  He has a very nice voice,

I like his voice a lot!  He's been hitting the karaoke bars for sure (oops, not really Kyokai(Shakinghead...)).

Now, can anyone in the place do a good job with Screamo?

2 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

Takayasu would be happy to be a mentor there :-D

In the heya? ...or, just in the karaoke room?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

In the heya? ...or, just in the karaoke room?

Takayasu would always start the first verse in tune but quiet, build through the second verse until the second chorus hits, when he starts getting pitchy and by the 15th verse he barely bothers singing at all.

Edited by Churaumi
There's no metaphor like a mixed metaphor.
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Now, can anyone in the place do a good job with Screamo?

Some of the gyojis probably could.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

Araiso should build a karaoke room in his new-concept heya. Takayasu would be happy to be a mentor there :-D

Or Harumafuji ;-)

• Haha 1

Here is the last of the 4 singing rikishi videos from the Kyokai's Official Youtube Channel.  It features Tobizaru singing!  I hope this is just the beginning and they'll release more videos of singing rikishi. 

• Thanks 1

On 15/08/2021 at 13:18, sumojoann said:

Here is the latest from the Kyokai Official Youtube Channel.  It's Onosho singing!  He has a very nice voice, although I much prefer him singing love ballads like the two that I posted earlier on this thread. 

Not bad, complete with the customary English accent, or what he thinks is an English accent..