Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

What we do in our off-time

51 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Imagine if this routine had a one-liner that went over like a lead balloon on stage, but when discovered later made this video go so viral that even isolated tribe dwellers in Mato Grosso pondered the questions of space and time that it evokes.

The line: "So, why aren't you guys wearing your masks?"

If I had that level of foresight, I would have told myself to get out of the travel industry.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2021 at 20:14, Fujisan said:

What a coincidence,I am watching only fools and horses for the 1st time...

Previously I have only seen clips from it...

The Chandelier  episode was one of the funniest ever...

Another funny one was Del and Boycie playing poker where Del outcheats Boycie.

Del had a double headed coin which Del offered Boycie a chance to win some of his money back

Having already lost twice after Boycie called heads before he(Del)could open his mouth,Del suggests to reluctant Boycie that Rodney calls it this time,Del tosses the coin and all eyes on Rodney as  he calls,

"TAILS" (Whateverabove,itisfunny...)

Predictable but still very funny 

Only Fools remains my favourite, though I do have a collection of some great comedies:

'Allo 'Allo; Are You Being Served?; Blackadder; Dads Army; The Detectives; The Fall and Rise Of Reginald Perrin; Fawlty Towers; Going Straight; Grace & Favour; The Green Green Grass; Keeping Up Appearances; Last Of The Summer Wine; Mr Bean; On The Buses; One Foot In The Grave; Only Fools and Horses; Open All Hours; Still Open All Hours; Porridge; Some Mother Do 'Ave 'Em - also The Two Ronnies.

You can't go far wrong there!

Swami

• Like 2

In the off time I watch Premier League football (Go Wolverhampton) and American football (Go Philadelphia Eagles).  

• Like 1

Another thing I do is playing Solitaire.

All the great games on my PlayStation and I end up playing  Solitaire instead...The mind boggles!!!

Edited by Fujisan
  • Like 2

For me it is a game called SongPop on my iphone.

Swami

I do a lot of reading. Kindle is maybe the only not evil thing Amazon has done or made.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LLCoolKay said:

I do a lot of reading. Kindle is maybe the only not evil thing Amazon has done or made.

Hard copies still have their place, though.  I have a very good book collection, even if I say so myself.

Swami

• Like 2

On 23/10/2021 at 00:31, Swami said:

Hard copies still have their place, though.  I have a very good book collection, even if I say so myself.

Swami

I agree entirely. I am very space limited though, so only important hardbacks get purchased these days in physical format (big deal releases by my favorite authors).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LLCoolKay said:

I agree entirely. I am very space limited though, so only important hardbacks get purchased these days in physical format (big deal releases by my favorite authors).

Yes, that's the drawback with hard copies.  I got excellent bookcases from IKEA a few years ago, and they're full - I didn't expect them to fill so quickly!

Swami

Aren't bookcases always full at IKEA?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

You never miss a chance, don't you? :-D

• Like 1

On 16/10/2021 at 22:50, Fujisan said:

Another thing I do is playing Solitaire.

All the great games on my PlayStation and I end up playing  Solitaire instead...The mind boggles!!!

Heh, same here. So many great games out there and I end up playing mariáš in a ghastly MS-DOS application from 1993. The irony…

On 26/10/2021 at 14:44, Jakusotsu said:

They weren't the day I bought them!

Swami

Eighteen days left to premiere. I'm currently into about 300 pages of The Shadow Rising, the fourth of fourteen books. I originally intended to read them from 1996 onwards as they began to be translated to Finnish, but I had a lot else to think about then. So, when the news of the TV series broke, I knew this is the time.

Rosamund Pike is Moiraine Sedai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ZozKfRqvA

Edited by Kotoroiwa
Adding the link.

God, the WoT took a long time to finish, even posthumously. 

During lock down, I picked up an old hobby again from my younger days: A collectible card game called Magic:the Gathering.  I played  back in the 90s and something made me dig out my footlocker full of old cards.  I was curious to find out the value of some of my cards and started going through them on a card pricing website.  I was amazed to find out many of these individual cards are mow worth hundreds of dollars.  I sold some to a local game store for $3500.  That has financed me getting back into it and going to the store every week to play.  It's kind of strange, though as I'm 30+ years older than anyone else there as this store is across the street from one of the biggest universities in the state.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Washuyama said:

During lock down, I picked up an old hobby again from my younger days: A collectible card game called Magic:the Gathering.  I played  back in the 90s and something made me dig out my footlocker full of old cards.  I was curious to find out the value of some of my cards and started going through them on a card pricing website.  I was amazed to find out many of these individual cards are mow worth hundreds of dollars.  I sold some to a local game store for $3500.  That has financed me getting back into it and going to the store every week to play.  It's kind of strange, though as I'm 30+ years older than anyone else there as this store is across the street from one of the biggest universities in the state.  

My wife and one of my sons were into M:TG early on.  We have a cabinet full of old decks.  Hmm, might be worth looking through those (ka-ching!)

2 hours ago, Washuyama said:

I sold some to a local game store for $3500.

:-O Wow! I hope you didn't sell any Black Lotus...

43 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

:-O Wow! I hope you didn't sell any Black Lotus...

My God, I think I have one of those, I need to check ! And I need to remember where I put these damn cards (haven't touched them in 25 years)!

46 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Wow! I hope you didn't sell any Black Lotus...

No,but I did have a couple Gaea's Cradles which I didn't sell... 

My only regret is I didn't keep one of each of the cards I did sell.  I wasn't planning on playing again, but going through all the old cards gave me "the itch" again.

BTW, a Black Lotus sold at auction, earlier this year, for $500,000.(Eek...)

19 minutes ago, Washuyama said:

BTW, a Black Lotus sold at auction, earlier this year, for $500,000.(Eek...)

I'm probably not lucky enough to have one of these but I need to check nevertheless cause it really rings me a bell.

On 07/11/2021 at 15:32, rhyen said:

God, the WoT took a long time to finish, even posthumously. 

I'm not sure when I first read the WoT. I saw 11 parts on the shelves at WH Smiths and impulse bought them. A couple of months later I was nearing the end of Knife of Dreams when I realised it wasn't the end of the series...

I was gutted when I went online to discover Robert Jordan (the author) had died, although there was a plan for someone else to finish the series in accordance with the outline he'd completed when he knew he had terminal leukaemia. I wasn't hopeful, especially after the dreadful job Kevin J Anderson had made of finishing the Dune saga.

When The Gathering Storm landed a few years later, though, I wouldn't have known it was a different writer if his name hadn't been on the cover - and I'd just finished rereading the first 11 books. Well done, Brandon Sanderson!

Anyhow, I've seen the trailers and, even though I'm keeping my expectations low, I'm gonna have to renew my Prime sub to binge-watch it.

Edited by RabidJohn

11 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I'm not sure when I first read the WoT. I saw 11 parts on the shelves at WH Smiths and impulse bought them. A couple of months later I was nearing the end of Knife of Dreams when I realised it wasn't the end of the series...

I was gutted when I went online to discover Robert Jordan (the author) had died, although there was a plan for someone else to finish the series in accordance with the outline he'd completed when he knew he had terminal leukaemia. I wasn't hopeful, especially after the dreadful job Kevin J Anderson had made of finishing the Dune saga.

When The Gathering Storm landed a few years later, though, I wouldn't have known it was a different writer if his name hadn't been on the cover - and I'd just finished rereading the first 11 books. Well done, Brandon Sanderson!

Anyhow, I've seen the trailers and, even though I'm keeping my expectations low, I'm gonna have to renew my Prime sub to binge-watch it.

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James O. Rigney, born in Charleston SC 10/17/1948.  He went to Clemson University but quit after a year to serve as a helicopter gunner in  Vietnam.  He returned to Charleston and as a veteran student got a degree in Physics from The Citadel. He was a nuclear engineer at the Charleston Naval Shipyards and began writing westerns and fantasy novels, including maybe the best non-Robert Howard Conan novel.  IIRC, he lived in downtown Charleston near Ogier Street (readers of the novels will recognize that name).  I am a proud owner of autographed copies of two of his WoT books.