Sign in to follow this  
Gaijingai

Sumo Figure Spooking Equestrian Horses

As the press-Oyakata, Shibatayama should immediately protest to his close friends at the IOC.(Sigh...)

As an aside, French Olympic viewers might be saying "where's that cool Sumo guy from the commercials?  Where's any Sumo guy?"

• Haha 1

"looked like sushi": do they mean the Daruma doll?

"The new fences include a life-sized samurai"... which is somehow better than  (Osh...) ? 

What was the model for that statue? I've seen a couple of statues on Google that could have been the model.  I notice that the dressage rikishi does not have the tsuna, but has a white mawashi.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

What was the model for that statue? I've seen a couple of statues on Google that could have been the model.  I notice that the dressage rikishi does not have the tsuna, but has a white mawashi.

So far, I have not been able to find out the name of the sculptor who actually designed the sumo wrestler statue or any pictures of models.  The course designer, Santiago Varela, was the one who made the decision to place the statue there, but he wasn't the one to design it.

Edited by sumojoann

Posted (edited)

The Olympic Games horse events course designer, Santiago Varela, should have used Hakuho instead of the sumo statue.  Hakuho would have had his long-held dream of participating in the Olympics come true, and the NSK would definitely have approved it, hoping the horses would poop on him. 

Edited by sumojoann
  • Haha 1