Fujisan

strange Rikishi names

Posted (edited)

The obvious similarity between Jumonji the rikishi and Jumanji the movie stands out for me.  Jumonji was in Makushita in 1996 when the movie came out in Japan; strangely, he changed his shikona to Kaigatake soon afterward, though changing it back as he finally approached sekitori-hood.

Perhaps even stranger was the wrestling Jumonji sisters (probably not related) who tag teamed as Dash Chisako and Sendai Sachiko under the Sendai Girls Wrestling banner.

Edited by Yamanashi
me no type good

According to Wikipedia, which sources the Mainichi, Baraki was named by his father after the movie "The Valachi Papers".

Kitakachidoki was always a memorable shikona.

Swami

• Like 1

I just discovered Ozeki Ouchiyama yesterday.  (He fought Yokozuna Yoshibayama at Haru 1956).  In the US, if a little kid falls down & get a cut or scratch, his Mom sometimes tells the kid it's an "Ouchie."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sumojoann said:

I just discovered Ozeki Ouchiyama yesterday.  (He fought Yokozuna Yoshibayama at Haru 1956).  In the US, if a little kid falls down & get a cut or scratch, his Mom sometimes tells the kid it's an "Ouchie."

That means with some creative licences, we could refer to Ouchiyama as 'Mountain of Pain'. I like it.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 18/08/2021 at 02:41, Yamanashi said:

Perhaps even stranger was the wrestling Jumonji sisters (probably not related) who tag teamed as Dash Chisako and Sendai Sachiko under the Sendai Girls Wrestling banner.

In their case it is (was in Sachiko's case as she is married now) their real surname. Jumonji is also a town in Akita prefecture, not desperately far from Sendai city either.

十文字 itself just translates to "ten written characters" but I don't know if there's anything deeper to its meaning.

Edited by rokudenashi
- a word
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, rokudenashi said:

In their case it is (was in Sachiko's case as she is married now) their real surname. Jumonji is also a town in Akita prefecture, not desperately far from Sendai city either.

十文字 itself just translates to "ten written characters" but I don't know if there's anything deeper to its' meaning.

十文字 may a bit of a visual pun.  It is sometimes translated as a crucifix which makes it a cross (十) shaped word (字).  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Asojima said:

十文字 may a bit of a visual pun.  It is sometimes translated as a crucifix which makes it a cross (十) shaped word (字).  

十文字 is from Sendai, his main kesho mawashi shows the local hero Date Masamune, a pro Christian daimyo

Crucifix is. juujika, The Red Cross is sekijuuji

Edited by Akinomaki

Posted (edited)

From what I recall in reading about people's ACL injuries, the "ten" kanji is used in the name of the ligament in Japanese, since the C stands for "Cruciate" which is just a fancy way of saying "cross-shaped" using Latin-based verbiage.  The cross-shape name comes from the ACL and PCL being at right angles to each other, which is rather unusual in a joint.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1