Kintamayama

Hakuhou caught watching Judo

2 hours ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

you could say the exact same thing about hakuho, and I guarantee bradman is far more well known than him.

I'm pretty sure if you mentioned both names where I am people would go "who?". Well-known-ness depends upon the circles you move in and culture.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Yangnomazuma said:

If one must google the name, can one even consider the person the GOAT of GOATs?  I think not.

Trying googling 99.94...

7 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Trying googling 99.94...

Try Googling 45 Yusho.  Same principle.  I've never heard of Don Bradman, either.  I don't think there's a single person in the US who plays cricket.  For that reason alone, I wouldn't expect Americans to have heard of him.  After reading up on him, I can certainly see why Australians are so proud of him, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Trying googling 99.94...

I dunno!  When I Googled 99.94, the first thing that came up was a soft rock record album and song called 99/94 by a Thai band called Blackbeans!  And I didn't see any ode to Don Bradman on it, either.

Here's a trivia question.  Who's Tom Brady?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Of course EVERYBODY WHO LIVES ON PLANET EARTH knows who the great Tom Brady is!!  Right????

Edited by sumojoann
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Of course EVERYBODY WHO LIVES ON PLANET EARTH knows who the great Tom Brady is!!  Right????

Nope.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Nope.

I was making a point.  As Morning said above, well-known-ness depends upon the circles you move in and culture.  Well said!

See, if this were the Baseballforum, we'd still be talking about live sports action; but from October to March nothing but conspiracy theories and recipes.  Instead, our Hot Stove League blather is broken into six bite-size chunks.

Eh, potayto - potahto.

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

I had never heard of him - until @Takanorappa took me to watch him during spring training. 

That was Tom Brady, right? And it was spring training?

1 minute ago, Jejima said:

I had never heard of him - until @Takanorappa took me to watch him during spring training. 

That was Tom Brady, right? And it was spring training?

Yep. As @Morning and @sumojoann have pointed out, the well-knownhood often depends on culture; and it's almost impossible to devise a way to compare performances or careers across different sports.  To me, what's interesting is that some sports/games have GOATS and others don't.  My off-the-cuff guess is that the fewer competitive players in a sport, the more likely there will be a GOAT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Hey. The five days are up. Go home, people. 

The natives are restless because they are waiting for the next tournament. Not much else to do right now but 'speculate'.

Isn't GOATness more about performance than fame?

Posted (edited)

Bradman is known anywhere there is cricket, even by non fans. (like me). So the uk and the rest of the commonwealth. thanks to India, that's almost a billion.

Many japanese who don't follow sumo don't even know who hakuho is, and there is minimal interest from outside. a few million at best.

even in the only country that seems to matter to people online, there are an estimated 200,000 people who play cricket in the us (mostly indian diaspora), and the number of fans is likely more than that. the number of sumo fans is likely only a few thousand.

really no contest on who is more well known

Edited by Yokozuna Hattorizakura
  • Like 2

How long will this one drag on?  Mods?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Asojima said:

How long will this one drag on?  Mods?

Let's see, today is 8/22 in Japan, banzuke comes out about 8/30 ... uh ... eight more days.

On 21/08/2021 at 09:46, Yangnomazuma said:

If one must google the name, can one even consider the person the GOAT of GOATs?  I think not.

There would be people in the world who would have to google MJ, LeBron, etc. It's all about them statistics baaaaaaaaby.

• Like 2

So I guess nobody here has heard of Yossi Ben Ayoun or Mottale Spiegler..

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

The only way for me to know is to Google them.  Have you ever heard of Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jew Boys?  Kinky ran for governor of Texas several years ago.  I am serious!!  He got 12% of the vote, including mine!  He is a famous author and the Texas Jew Boys were part of his country band.  He was the singer.  I tried to look him up on my old computer many years ago but the computer refused to let me have access to his website due to parental controls!! lol  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinky_Friedman

Edited by sumojoann

32 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Believe it or not, I knew the first one. But I'm a freak....

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

No, but it was worth Googling them to find out that Ben Ayoun is known as "The Diamond from Dimona".

The most important Jew in sports was Moe Berg.  I could tell you why, but then I'd have to kill you ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

What is cricket?

It's a small insect. How on earth don't you know that?!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Godango said:

There would be people in the world who would have to google MJ, LeBron, etc. It's all about them statistics baaaaaaaaby.

No-one needs to google MJ. It's Michael Jackson.

• Like 1