Seiyashi

Aki Basho 2021 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers!)

Ura's been looking pretty overwhelmed these first 3 bouts. Think he's plateaued in his comback? 

You can say about Shodai what you want, but how effortless he absorbed Hokutofujis tachiai today was very impressive imo !

• Like 5

Shodai is Hokutofuji's kryptonite. Handles him like he's a baby.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nelimw said:

Ura's been looking pretty overwhelmed these first 3 bouts. Think he's plateaued in his comback? 

His knees are obviously giving him trouble. It's not looking good. He looked frustrated today, not a look I'm used to seeing on his face.

After the beating Ura received on day 2 from Terutsuyoshi, I was expecting to see some bruises (à la Takanoiwa post Harumafuji rampage).  I suppose most of Terutsuyoshi's harite slaps were aimed at the side of Ura's head, rather than the face...  Still, Ura did end up with a bloody nose that day.  

And each time I see the cupping marks on Ichinojo's back, I am amazed at the bruising that procedure causes!  

Nevertheless, I think I'd prefer cupping to Terutsuyoshi's roundhouse slaps!

48 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

And each time I see the cupping marks on Ichinojo's back, I am amazed at the bruising that procedure causes!  

Giant squid hickeys :-D

Next banzuke the absolute unthinkable will happen. There will be only one Ozeki, his name will be Shodai and he might stay the sole Ozeki for quite a while. I love sumo (Jumpinginecstasy...)

• Like 1

I knew Bushozan was going to cause trouble for Abi. He will likely continue to do so in the future. Very similar styles, but Bushozan has a much lower center of gravity, despite the reach disadvantage. I really like his fighting style and hope he does well.

Edited by since_94

7 hours ago, Benihana said:

Next banzuke the absolute unthinkable will happen. There will be only one Ozeki, his name will be Shodai and he might stay the sole Ozeki for quite a while. I love sumo (Jumpinginecstasy...)

You forgot to add that Shodai will continue to flip flop between kadoban and not kadoban with every basho. We'll constantly be on the edge of our seats as to whether there will be an Ozeki at all with each new kadoban effort.

46 minutes ago, Shinobi Steve said:

You forgot to add that Shodai will continue to flip flop between kadoban and not kadoban with every basho. We'll constantly be on the edge of our seats as to whether there will be an Ozeki at all with each new kadoban effort.

Ooh, what a scintillating prospect for fans. Not.

1 minute ago, since_94 said:
48 minutes ago, Shinobi Steve said:

Ooh, what a scintillating prospect for fans. Not.

Shodainger's Ozeki. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

Shodainger's Ozeki. 

I like my Ozeki to be consistently DOMINANT, dammit. When was the  last time we had one who fit the bill? Back to the Baruto and Kotooshu days? Maybe Kisenosato in his prime?

Speaking of former Ozeki, shin-Yokozuna Terunofuji really stamping the clay with audible conviction in today's dohyo-iri. There has been a lot of concern/speculation about how his longsuffering knees would affect his ability to deliver the goods and perform his ring entering duties in an aesthetically pleasing way. I have a theory: he looks like he's getting stronger in that department every day. I think the ritual might be acting as a kind of therapy, and not diminishing the grand champion, but rather rejuvenating and strengthening those busted knees every time he does it. Terunofuji is actually charging his battery as he goes. This is not good news for those who must oppose him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shinobi Steve said:

Shodai stay or Shodai go?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

It seems Tsurugisho is out. Did not see him entering the dohyo. Some info anyone?

The info is on this thread, and it ain't good...

• Thanks 1

Oitekaze is a big stable. Them being quarantined would be a big deal. But most of all just praying so everyone is fine.

That was a bad fall by Ichiyamamoto. Wouldn't be surprised if he was kyujo from tomorrow. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

15 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

Oh my god... really hope it isn't the virus.

No, the PCR test was negative

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Shinobi Steve said:

So he is trying to break Goeido’s kadoban record?

5 minutes ago, rhyen said:

So he is trying to break Goeido’s kadoban record?

Sorry, Goeido only ranks 3rd on the all time list

• Like 3

Is that Dewi Fujin sitting toward the front on the right side (facing the TV screen) dressed out in a bright red outfit and pearls? 

Since returning to makunouchi Terunofuji has now gone 7-0 against Hokutofuji, and has used 7 different kimarite.

• Like 4