Seiyashi

Aki Basho 2021 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers!)

3 hours ago, Asetama3D said:

Seems to be 5 in makuuchi.

And 7 in juryo, but with a larger division at that time.

I think you should not only group by basho, but also by rikishi. Akua has indeed set a new record - and counting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Not that I have any expertise, but his dhoyo-iri has looked really good to me, compared to the ceremony last month.

It takes time to polish it. Look at Harumafuji’s debut vs his last one.

Edited by rhyen
  • Like 3

I like Daieisho and I want to help him so here goes... ahem... "Oh boy! Terunofuji sure looks right on track for a zensho-yusho!"

• Haha 3

Hoshoryu was excellent in both bouts today. His something-hineri in the first one deserved a win, but he did just as well in the second.

Kotonowaka had one of his career-best bouts today I think. That was a finish worthy of some of the strongest Ozeki I’ve seen. Great strength and technique.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

This is the third basho in a row that Terunofuji has secured his kachikoshi on Nakabi. His personal best.

What’s the longest streak of that I wonder? Hakuho did ten 8-0 starts in succession between March 2013 and Sept 2014. That must be it, surely?

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

This is the third basho in a row that Terunofuji has secured his kachikoshi on Nakabi. His personal best.

What’s the longest streak of that I wonder? Hakuho did ten 8-0 starts in succession between March 2013 and Sept 2014. That must be it, surely?

Well, post-1958 I believe the previous best was by Tamanoumi, six in a row between 1970 Aki and 1971 Nagoya. Sadly, the next basho was his last.

Edited by Yubinhaad

Can someone tell me what is featured on Takarafuji's keshomawashi (used from day 4 until today – probably will change tomorrow)?  Terutsuyoshi's keshomawashi seems to have a hawk or falcon-like bird, but for the life of me, I can't make heads or tails of what appears on Takarafuji's (my best guess is some kind of drone)...  

In case anybody's waiting for it, I'm afraid I've seen far too little of the basho to do any sort of sensible Promotion/Demotion thread this month. Have at it if anyone wants to fill in, or as an open thread or something.

• Sad 4

42 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Can someone tell me what is featured on Takarafuji's keshomawashi (used from day 4 until today – probably will change tomorrow)?  Terutsuyoshi's keshomawashi seems to have a hawk or falcon-like bird, but for the life of me, I can't make heads or tails of what appears on Takarafuji's (my best guess is some kind of drone)...  

If you are referring to the Nagatanien set, then it's an eggplant: supposedly an auspicious omen in the first dream of the year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

If you are referring to the Nagatanien set, then it's an eggplant: supposedly an auspicious omen in the first dream of the year. 

Actually (now that I have checked the link that #code_number3 kindly provided), it's five eggplants!  Given the twisted meaning of the eggplant emoji, it probably would have been risky having just one eggplant.  ;-)

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Also the sixth shin-yokozuna to start 8-0 according to Nikkan

That Terunofuji v. Tamawashi bout was pure viewing gold!  

It would be racist to say that it takes a Mongolian to beat a Mongolian, but Tamawashi sure came close!  

As the bout was getting underway, Abema TV showed an interview with Tamawashi at home.  They asked him what he felt about potentially going up against the Shin-Yokozuna version of Terunofuji.  He quipped that it would be a great opportunity for him to get a kinboshi (gold star).  

I took it as a joke, but Tamawashi came out of the tachi-ai with a great chance to cause a seismic upset (coinciding with the earthquake that hit Japan a few bouts earlier).  Terunofuji was upright, up against the bales, with Tamawashi's hand under his chin!  Certain loss, thought I.  But somehow Terunofuji managed to get back in the fight and finished off the thruster with a yorikiri.  

Made me think: wrestlers must train for situations like that.  Terunofuji must have practiced how to get out of that situation, ... and Tamawashi must have practiced how to finish off an opponent in that situation.  Clearly, Terunofuji's practice paid off!

The suddenness of Tamawashi getting into an advantageous position, not to mention the suspense on the bales, left many in the streaming chatrooms in need of a change of パンツ!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

In case anybody's waiting for it, I'm afraid I've seen far too little of the basho to do any sort of sensible Promotion/Demotion thread this month. Have at it if anyone wants to fill in, or as an open thread or something.

I've covered before, and can do so again. If people don't mind waiting an extra few hours before Day 8 goes up that is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Also the sixth shin-yokozuna to start 8-0 according to Nikkan

Yeah, what do they know. :-P http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&day=8&rank1=y&wins1=8&debutr1=on

Edit: perhaps it should include the usual caveat "in the modern era". 8-0 is 8-0 though, regardless of era.

Edited by Kashunowaka

11 hours ago, Shinobi Steve said:

Chiyoshoma got a win, but he just delayed the inevitable by another day.

And what's more: he might have failed to avoid Terunofuji on day 10.

• Like 1

If Hoshoryu actually had tonsilitis, him smoking cigarettes may be a factor, i had it a few years ago but i quit smoking and never had it again. Anyone knows if Hoshoryu still smokes?

Takakeishou finally looked like an Ozeki facing a lowly opponent today.

4 hours ago, Kashunowaka said:

Yeah, what do they know. :-P http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&day=8&rank1=y&wins1=8&debutr1=on

Edit: perhaps it should include the usual caveat "in the modern era". 8-0 is 8-0 though, regardless of era.

Well, not really, because the point is it’s the kachikoshi. In earlier eras with shorter basho the kachikoshi could be secured sooner, e.g. Day 7 for a 13-day basho.

Edited by Eikokurai

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

That Terunofuji v. Tamawashi bout was pure viewing gold!  

It would be racist to say that it takes a Mongolian to beat a Mongolian, but Tamawashi sure came close!

Which is funny because Tamawashi is the least Mongolian of the Mongolian rikishi and trying to yorikiri Terunofuji was the least Tamawashi sumo Tamawashi has fought. Maybe that’s what took Terunofuji by surprise—he was expecting an oshi attack.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

It's a pity Tamawashi seems closer to an MK. Otherwise he and Kiribayama would be strong candidates for the shukunsho for being the only two rikishi to seriously trouble Terunofuji. 

Nice idea but you don't see shukunsho awarded for seriously troubling a yokozuna, only for beating them. 

4 hours ago, Kashunowaka said:

Yeah, six-a-year vs. three-a-year makes a difference when it comes to career stats like # of basho as Yokozuna, etc., but I think you have to go back to the forties to find less than 15 days for a basho.  Besides, winning the first eight of ten is still winning the first eight.

1 minute ago, Yamanashi said:

Besides, winning the first eight of ten is still winning the first eight.

It is, but the point being made with the 8-0 stat is that they secured a kachikoshi at the earliest possible opportunity. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

It is, but the point being made with the 8-0 stat is that they secured a kachikoshi at the earliest possible opportunity. 

This happened a lot in the pre-15 day tournament era.  I can find 7 shin-Yokozuna with 5-0 scores in a 10-bout basho, and Futabayama winning his first 7 (and the rest!) out of 13.

Before the change away from being unable to face members of your ichimon to just not being able to face members of your heya, it's somewhat reasonable to say that the 8-0s were easier.  Additionally, back far enough, and they only face people on the other side of the banzuke, which culled their selection of opponents down even more.  And if you look at the Makuuchi win/loss matrix for the third tournament on the list, it's clear that they were still doing that then.  (Note that both Ozeki were on the same side of the banzuke, which is also the side the person above them on the banzuke was on, so there are three sanyaku in a row on the same side.)  So no, an 8-0 is not the same as any other 8-0 when they have to go down further in the ranks to get opponents for you. 

Edited by Gurowake