Seiyashi

Aki Basho 2021 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers!)

6 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

My guess is he was going kyujo but they heard Hokutofuji was too, so they asked him to delay his kyujo for a day so as not to have a double kyujo which can upset the universal balance. Takanoshou will be kyujo on day 6. Well, maybe..

Searching the database for the numbers of recorded fusensho vs. fusenpai, there have been 6 more recorded of the latter, indicating we know of 3 occasions there was a double fusenpai.  There may have been more in the long history where we lack complete results.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

My Golden Crystal Ball tells me Ichiyamamoto and Takanoshou will be kyujo from tomorrow. THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL -  just my ball talking.

Funny thing is Takanosho's opponent Hokutofuji withdrew instead

38 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Takanoshou will be kyujo on day 6. Well, maybe..

tough on chiyoshoma

28 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:
10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

My Golden Crystal Ball tells me Ichiyamamoto and Takanoshou will be kyujo from tomorrow. THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL -  just my ball talking.

Funny thing is Takanosho's opponent Hokutofuji withdrew instead

Kintamayama's ball showed a misty image of Takanosho next to a flickering grey square. He just called the colour wrong.

Another nice judo throw from Akua. If sumo wrestlers wore a gi this lad would be a sanyaku regular.

Ouch. Akua is not going to want to land throws like THAT too often going forward. Assuming he wants to keep going forward, that is. Without a wheelchair and attendants. That could have been very, very, bad. His trapezius looked like it was bulging afterwards, but maybe it's always like that.

(This post is in no way meant to disparage individuals with permanent physical disability or make light of their plight )

• Like 1

I thought it was right to promote Mitoryuu last basho. Now Mitoryuu is 1-4 in Juryo and Chiyonokuni is 5-0 in Makunouchi, SMH.

*woah* Was that just the most powerful tachiai Shodai has generated ever?

• Like 4

Kiribayama turning out to be the real dark horse of this tournament. Looking really good in a number of long bouts, and made Terunofuji work the hardest for any of his wins so far. From his position, shin-sanyaku looks really possible.

Was it really neccessary to walk Kiribayama completely off the dohyo? (Eh?)

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 2

But Terunofuji sure looks like a real deal Yokozuna. "Fighting good" and "winning" against him are totally different concepts.

Also, today we had 2 ozeki who looked like real ozeki as well.

Edited by Taliesin
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

But Terunofuji sure looks like a real deal Yokozuna. "Fighting good" and "winning" against him are totally different concepts.

Also, today we had 2 ozeki who looked like real ozeki as well.

Shodai is just anti-sumo at this point and somehow it works. Wakatakakage came at him straight on and basically bounced off just from Shodai standing up.

Takakeisho won more from Kotonowaka's indecisiveness in approaching the bout than him having recovered. His thrusts are still not what they used to be when he was at his peak. Although hopefully clocking 2 wins in a row means he is gradually getting back into condition or has a game plan on how to fight without as much risk of injury.

Edited by Seiyashi

No love for that brilliant Okuristuridashi by Ura on Daieisho today?

Takakeisho seems to have found his old self, and Shodai seems to have found his inner Takakeisho too. Strong wins from both of them today.

A valiant effort from Kiribayama against the Yokozuna today. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 6

Ura pulling out the magic tricks again. I swear, every damn basho he either tries to or actually pulls off something awesome.

58 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

No love for that brilliant Okuristuridashi by Ura on Daieisho today?

Takakeisho seems to have found his old self, and Shodai seems to have found his inner Takakeisho too. Strong wins from both of them today.

A valiant effort from Kiribayama against the Yokozuna today. 

For a split second I thought he was going to go for a suplex!

• Like 1

crazy bout of the day was dainichido - amanoshima in makushita

amanoshima got the back of his foe and was walking him out when he crumbled for no visible reason BEHIND the opponent, making the kimarite a tsukihiza

Best start ever by Daishomaru, leading Juryo alone at 5-0.

What is to be expected from him whom nobody ever expected anything from?

Edited by Jakusotsu

Couple of rare-ish kimarite in makuuchi today.

I doubt Hidenoumi's ushiromotare was intentional, but it worked.

Ura has always been known for his awesome moves, but that okuritsuridashi on Daieisho was something else again. Wow, just wow!

Kiribayama tried his long game again today and looked quite good doing it, but Terunofuji knows it well and can be very patient. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gernobono said:

crazy bout of the day was dainichido - amanoshima in makushita

amanoshima got the back of his foe and was walking him out when he crumbled for no visible reason BEHIND the opponent, making the kimarite a tsukihiza

It was like his right leg just turned to Jello! Hope he's ok. 

43 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Ura has always been known for his awesome moves, but that okuritsuridashi on Daieisho was something else again. Wow, just wow!

Kiribayama tried his long game again today and looked quite good doing it, but Terunofuji knows it well and can be very patient. 

I’m not sure any of Hidenoumi’s bouts have been anything remotely resembling the usual outcomes this basho. Seems like everything that happens  is unintentional, with nothing going to plan. He always looks utterly bewildered by the outcomes, win or lose. It’s like he’s in a daze on the dohyo ,  stumbling around in some kind of waking dream. Has he been hanging out with Takagenji?

Edited by since_94
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Shodai is just anti-sumo at this point and somehow it works. Wakatakakage came at him straight on and basically bounced off just from Shodai standing up.

Shodai makes no sense to me. Over the past 2 years only Terunofuji has more wins than him (119 from Aki 2019 through Nagoya 2021). Shodai and Takakeisho both had 97 wins over the same period. His tachi-ai is just him standing up, I can't see anything special/spectacular about his sumo, and yet he's the 2nd best man in sumo. How?!

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&show_total=on&sum_wins=60&sum_range=7&show_sum=on&form1_year=2019&form1_month=9&columns=11

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

The okuritsuriotoshi was only the third ever in Makuuchi (though it was only introduced in 2001). The most recent was in Nov 2005 so safe to say it’s the first one I’ve seen myself.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&m=on&kimarite=86&onlyw1=on

Ushiromotare is a little more common, but it was still the first for more than five years in the top division. Nine appearances in total.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&m=on&kimarite=79&onlyw1=on

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Amanoshima- Dainichidou:

The funny part is, he didn't seem to have that much difficulty walking off the dohyo afterwards.