Seiyashi

Aki Basho 2021 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers!)

Wow, Kaisei beating Tochi at his own game, walking him out. A sight to behold.

2 hours ago, Gospodin said:

This Thursday I accidentially forgot to mute before I opened the stream. Chance had it they just announced a rikishi, and a young staff member of mine checked into my office as she heard somebody screaming :-). The expression on her face when I explained to her what was going on was priceless, she will never view me the same again.

You have to watch on Twitch, because there all streams start auto-muted.

Ura trying something funny again, but Okinoumi's experience really saving him this basho against tricksters like Ura and Terutsuyoshi. That attempted backwards throw  (can't remember the name of that kimarite offhand) ends up collapsed.

Okinoumi basically just let go as Ura started to throw and Ura put himself down. Strange. 

8 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Ura trying something funny again, but Okinoumi's experience really saving him this basho against tricksters like Ura and Terutsuyoshi. That attempted backwards throw  (can't remember the name of that kimarite offhand) ends up collapsed.

It worked for Ura a few times before.   But from the start, this effort was ill-timed/advised.  Ura had no chance at successfully executing the kimarite.  It was fun though.

Wow, Tobizaru and Takarafuji went for a marathon.  This was not so fun.  

I'm glad to see Daieisho back in form. Since his yusho he went on a bit of a slide but he seems to have found his stride again. 5-2 with a weakened Takakeisho to face tomorrow. 6-2 at Nakabi wouldn't be too shabby.

Huh. I expected Wakatakakage to do better there, esp against this incarnation of Takakeisho. Good to see Taka isn't throwing in the towel that easily though.

15 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I'm glad to see Daieisho back in form. Since his yusho he went on a bit of a slide but he seems to have found his stride again. 5-2 with a weakened Takakeisho to face tomorrow. 6-2 at Nakabi wouldn't be too shabby.

Takakeisho still looked sluggish while beating Wakawaka.  Daieisho's 6-2 looks very doable on day 8.  

Mitkaeumi, sigh.  I was expecting him to easily dispatch a struggling Ichinojo.   

I thought Shodai was about to fall victim to a Tamawashi kotenage then. The Shodai of recent basho would have done, but he managed to get that right leg down while keeping his own forward movement going. Well executed.

20 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Huh. I expected Wakatakakage to do better there, esp against this incarnation of Takakeisho. Good to see Taka isn't throwing in the towel that easily though.

To me it looks like Takakeisho is dealing with an issue that affects his performance on a daily basis. Today he was on (and Wakatakakage doing not very inspiring sumo).

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

My guess is that the technique attempted by Ura on this occasion was "izori".  The thing is that victory was given to Okinoumi by oshitaoshi.  In my opinion, it perhaps should have been considered as a higi non-technique (i.e., koshikudake).  

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

Wow, Tobizaru and Takarafuji went for a marathon.  This was not so fun.  

I loved it. Great tactical struggle with Takarafuji trying over and over again to get his left hand inside and Tobizaru denying every attempt. In the end Takarafuji settled for left hand outside and it turned out to be enough.

• Like 2

We've seen ballet on the tawara from time to time, but was that a break-dancing move Kiribayama pulled in his loss to Daieisho?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

My guess is that the technique attempted by Ura on this occasion was "izori".  The thing is that victory was given to Okinoumi by oshitaoshi.  In my opinion, it perhaps should have been considered as a higi non-technique (i.e., koshikudake).  

Don't think so, yes Ura's attempt failed but he still got pushed to the ground. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Mitkaeumi, sigh.  I was expecting him to easily dispatch a struggling Ichinojo.   

Except today's Ichinojo was far from struggling. You never really know which Ichi will show up on a given day. 

6 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

A very nonchalant reaction by Akua to Shohozan's matta draws an amused chuckle from the crowd. And with the amount of tipping to and fro thanks to Akua's newfound penchant for kakenage, their match resembles shokkiri more than the juryo saigo no torikumi.

But it was featured as the Juryo bout of the day.

10 minutes ago, rhyen said:
7 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

A very nonchalant reaction by Akua to Shohozan's matta draws an amused chuckle from the crowd. And with the amount of tipping to and fro thanks to Akua's newfound penchant for kakenage, their match resembles shokkiri more than the juryo saigo no torikumi.

But it was featured as the Juryo bout of the day.

Oh, to be sure, the match was a lot more serious than most other shokkiri-"looking" bouts were. I wonder who Akua picked up all the leg trips from, hmm. It's not as if his stable has a hotshot rikishi known for them... (Scratchingchin...)

That was a pretty good day of sumo, with Endo-Chiyonokuni the standout. I think that is the first time I have ever seen both rikishi bleeding at the end of a bout. Top work from both men.

• Like 1

Some impressions from today's juryo bouts:

Ms1e Terasawa did not get an easy opponent in on-form Daishoho, but pulled out a nice win to go to 3-1, looking really pumped after the bout. Sekitorihood is looming.

Shin-sekitori Asashiyu on the other hand looks outmatched in juryo and I would be surprised to see him stay in the salaried ranks after the basho.

Azumaryu finally won. Very lackluster basho, looks injured.

Sadanoumi might actually still return to makuuchi once more if he keeps it up. He hobbled after today's loss against Kaisho though, hope it's nothing serious.

Wakamotoharu is at his highest rank J3e for the third time. This can't be his upper limit, can it? Surely it's just a matter of time before we see him in makuuchi. 

Shohozan vs Akua was amusing to watch, all the way from Akua's feigned start which caused Shohozan to do a matta, giving his opponent a little pat on the shoulders. And then the bout, with four (!) kakenage attempts from Akua, the last being successful. Akua is becoming a favourite. :-)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Don't think so, yes Ura's attempt failed but he still got pushed to the ground. 

Agree; Okinoumi still had contact and perhaps "walked him" to make sure Ura kept falling back.  The first time I saw the match I thought Okinoumi gave a little arm-pump at the end, but it was more of a "hands free" reaction.