Kaninoyama

Takagenji Caught Smoking Weed

Well Chris Gould, how are you going to defend Genji now?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

Well Chris Gould, how are you going to defend Genji now?

The police and the Kyokai  planted the stuff of course.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Formal charges have been filed against Takagenji today. In a search at his home, illegal substances were found in small quantities in a water pipe found on his table. 

It's pretty funny, to be honest.

Pretty crazy that he didn't foresee the possibility that he might get a visit from the police and clean up his act for a while.

Edit: on reading the article it actually looks like it happened in July so he may have been at the tournament still.

Edited by Mightyduck

39 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Any ideas what the penalty could be?

He's not a repeat offender, the summary court will hand him a fine. As sekitori then, maybe 500 000Yen.

39 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Any ideas what the penalty could be?

He's not a repeat offender, the summary court will hand him a fine. As sekitori then, maybe 500 000Yen.

7 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

That's not too bad, he's got a pretty high-paying j...wait a second...

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

That's not too bad, he's got a pretty high-paying j...wait a second...

Do you think he'll make enough at his next wrestling gig to handle the fine?  Will they make him do loathsome "don't do drugs" PSA's, or don't they have those in Japan?

Interested in the timeline here. Takagenji was called in by NSK compliance on 18 July to answer the allegations, but when the police raided him two days later he still had the remains of his stash and a water pipe on the premises. I know that sumo wrestlers don't need to be smart but...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Do you think he'll make enough at his next wrestling gig to handle the fine?  Will they make him do loathsome "don't do drugs" PSA's, or don't they have those in Japan?

He'll probably do fine if he turns to pro wrestling. He'd make a good heel. Just because his shokiri performance wasn't great doesn't mean he doesn't have the charisma and physicality to do that. If he follows his brother into MMA that's less certain, given the generally poor record of high-profile rikishi doing that. I haven't heard of his plans yet.

I can't imagine the brothers thriving in pro wrestling. Given its requirements on cooperative behaviour in order to deliver a good show, self-important jerks don't tend to get far in the industry, unless they're legit tough guys.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Takagenji was on Takatoriki's Channel on the 10th and apologized. Takatoriki had some remeniscence of his own scandal, got furious that the NSK doesn't pay any retirement money and promised to gather all his friends to organise a danpatsushiki for Takagenji

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another mediocre sumo career up in smoke (I was referring to takagenji, but takatoriki fits the bill in his own right).  

He looked like he had serious potential at one point and there was definitely talent there. Had a good body, was capable using a range of techniques. Made juryo at 19 despite never having done sumo prior to going pro. After spending a few years in juryo, he won the yusho and reached makuuchi still only 22 years old. Started that tournament strong, but then lost 13 straight and never showed much improvement afterward.

I wonder what his training habits and motivation were like...a lot of the time he seemed grumpy and like he wasn't enjoying being there. I know his dad was a sumo fan and when the twins went pro it was reported it had been their father's wish, not theirs.

Edited by Katooshu

On 11/09/2021 at 04:27, Akinomaki said:

Takagenji was on Takatoriki's Channel on the 10th and apologized. Takatoriki had some remeniscence of his own scandal, got furious that the NSK doesn't pay any retirement money and promised to gather all his friends to organise a danpatsushiki for Takagenji

Well, guess who will post in-depth analysis of this video.

1 hour ago, code_number3 said:

Well, guess who will post in-depth analysis of this video.

Has he posted yet? Just more juiciness for him to feed the unsuspecting fans who do not browse the forums at all

22 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Has he posted yet? Just more juiciness for him to feed the unsuspecting fans who do not browse the forums at all

Probably not; he's probably in the Kokugikan camped out on the second floor for the stuff he does do well. He did however allude to it in his pre-basho coverage yesterday, so chances are pretty high he'll get round to it eventually.

Edited by Seiyashi

On 10/09/2021 at 20:16, Kujo said:

Another mediocre sumo career up in smoke (I was referring to takagenji, but takatoriki fits the bill in his own right).  

I hardly think Takatoriki's sumo career can be called mediocre. Unless you're referring to his oyakata career, but that never really had time to get going. 

35 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

I hardly think Takatoriki's sumo career can be called mediocre. Unless you're referring to his oyakata career, but that never really had time to get going. 

I was referring to his time as Otake.

I can't help but think that taking the vast majority of sumo hopefuls at ~16 year olds is conducive to them making the best life decisions during or after a life in sumo.

With no "real" prospect of an education after they join it's no wonder many struggle with making smart choices.

With most of the oyakata having no business education, I am surprised more don't fall in to the same "holes" as Otake.

I am guessing having a strong okamisan in the heya can not be overrated.    

7 hours ago, Kujo said:

Are there currently or prospects of any with a business degree?

3 minutes ago, Morning said:
7 hours ago, Kujo said:

Not just the business aspects of it; doing accounts is relatively easy (as in it can be learnt with a crash course and 3 months). It's the nurturing ability that either the oyakata or the okamisan needs to have to make their rikishi more than just screwballs. You need to let the rikishi develop as people, but also have the ability to rein them back in when they screw up - and that implies them having enough respect for you to listen to the choices that you'd better make correctly for them.

It's pretty obvious where Takanohana failed his rikishi in that respect, whatever their technical skills may be. In fact, I'm surprised Takakeisho turned out as well as he did, considering he also had a father who was pretty nuts when it came to driving him as a rikishi.

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

In fact, I'm surprised Takakeisho turned out as well as he did, considering he also had a father who was pretty nuts when it came to driving him as a rikishi.

Seconded. There have been times, when he appeared a bit..."aloof".

3 hours ago, Morning said:

There is a small percentage of rikishi who come from university sumo programs.

I would assume some actually go to classes and get some kind of degree.

Or do they major in sumo at their university?

I am guessing someone on the forum would have more insight as to whether they actually attend classes.