Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Aki 2021-GTB - RESULTS!! - 140 entries (22 newbies)

This is one of the weirder banzuke in a while to me, mostly because compared to some other recent ones it seemed relatively straightforward. But they decided to overcomplicate it despite the last 2 times someone at M2 scored 10-5 leading to none of this.
I'm guessing they're sort of ignoring the slot Asanoyama is taking up, but they seem so against the idea of extra sanyaku slots in general I presumed they'd just leave Meisei at komusubi (very common with an 8-7) and say tough luck to Ichinojo in the same way they did to Daieisho and Wakatakakage, both of which happened within a year of today. I don't see why this situation is any different; Asanoyama is taking up a slot but it's not like 8-7 at komusubi is any guarantee of promotion to sekiwake anyway. I don't get it. Another disheartening banzuke.

I went back and forward on Mitoryu, my guess ended up including him I think; kind of sucks for him but I'm not surprised too, would have been harsh on Chiyonokuni to demote him.

I think I've ended up with around 30 points, though I changed my guess and didn't make note of it, but it's not going to make much difference because 3 sekiwake ruins it anyway. It wouldn't have been great with only 2, but still...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think my 37 (if I counted right) is pretty good considering.  I only scored 0 points on 4 guys on the West, and had a couple places where an MK rikishi ended up much higher than I thought, and I scored 2 points on all the ones in between.  It'll be interesting to see how well those who picked 3 Sekiwake were at guessing the rest of the banzuke.

Edited by Gurowake

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Taliesin said:

Houshouryuu ahead of Takanosho is a bit surprising, no?

Takanosho should be behind Hoshoryu; everyone had Takanosho ahead only because he had to be promoted and there was nowhere else to go.  With Ichinojo's promotion, there is a free spot above Takanosho's forced promotion to M1w to put Hoshoryu.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I think my 37 (if I counted right) is pretty good considering.  I only scored 0 points on 4 guys on the West, and had a couple places where an MK rikishi ended up much higher than I thought, and I scored 2 points on all the ones in between.  It'll be interesting to see how well those who picked 3 Sekiwake were at guessing the rest of the banzuke.

I think I counted 41, a bit hard to believe given how much of my guess was off-by-one. 

Not even going to bother to try to add mine up. In my gut I knew they would just consider Asanoyama as a nonentity but I still didn't promote Meisei. Also I had Chiyonokuni going down so my score is going to be very bad. Congrats to the winner, you deserve it. 

I don't think anyone's said anything on this topic - is 32 new players a record?  It seems like an awful lot.  I'd be floored if RotoSumo got 32 new players in one basho.

23 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I don't think anyone's said anything on this topic - is 32 new players a record?  It seems like an awful lot.  I'd be floored if RotoSumo got 32 new players in one basho.

Aggressive promotional efforts.. The trick is to get them first-timers to return next basho.

44 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

And it was 22 newbies, I miscounted, but I think it's still a record..

And the results of this non-standard basho.. I'll start with saying we had only 22 players who went with the "three Sekiwake" solution. We have a first-time winner in only his/her third basho - Netsuzakura!! Second place, also in his /her third basho ever, KatsumaBen. 11 of the 22 newbies got their kachikoshi. It was a difficult one indeed, but somehow, makes sense in hindsight..

Minestrones:

Bill- 90th basho

Chishafuwaku - 50th basho

Tenshinhan - 40th basho

Tsuchinoninjin- 30th basho

Unkonoyama - 30th basho

Akeasakeumi - 20th basho

Golynohana-20th basho

Wakatake- 20th basho

140 entries, 22 new players. Thank you all for playing and breaking the entry record this time around. Special thanks to Doitsuyama and Andoreasu who do the actual running of this. I'm just the money launderer.

To see how you did, go here.

And now, on with the Ba-show!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I expected a disastrous performance after seeing the 3rd Sekiwake slot, so I'll gladly take my 18th place. 

Wow, much higher scoring than I expected on average. 

Oh bollocks. And I thought last basho was bad.

Is it too late to plump for the Shonanzakura role in GTB?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Thinking about it again, it suddenly makes sense to me. Asanoyama is a "dead body" and non-existent-he's a place holder, so they promoted the next "legit" guy, even if it's an 8-7 Meisei. I guess.

That was my line of reasoning as well, but of course I didn't submit because of the Kyokai's aversion to being reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 points...well, for this mess of a banzuke I'll take it gladly (8-7 result with that :-) )

I think Mitoryu will be busy inventing new expletives in several languages for next few days...I would be, if I were in his place

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13th will do me but I had forgotten just how many bashos I have beeen missing.... 

Sorry guys..I will do better.....

Posted (edited)
On 29/08/2021 at 17:25, Reonito said:

And they went against the "no Juryo promotions ahead of Makuuchi KK" principle with Yutakayama ahead of Ichiyamamoto (Sigh...)

Which is why when I "corrected" someone who made their prediction early after the previous basho that had them the way they turned out, I said it was "almost certain" that Ichiyamamoto would get a higher spot, because while it seemed as though the last few times the only explanation could have been the general rule that we thought they were adhering to, but always the possibility that they drop that "rule" at any point in time, since it clearly hasn't always worked that way. 

I would have said "almost certain" about there being 2 Sekiwake as well.  The main point is that unless something breaks the fundamental rule of banzuke making, you can expect practically any rule that has worked in the past to be broken in the future. 

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

The main point is that unless something breaks the fundamental rule of banzuke making, you can expect practically any rule that has worked in the past to be broken in the future. 

You can rely on the Kyokai...

Ganzohnesushi

Forgot to post some stats from last time, sorry about that. Better late than never:

There were three changes to the top ten ranks after the Aki basho edition of GTB - Gurowake, Okisuruga and Itachiyama are those dropping out, after short stints of three, two and one basho respectively. Replacing them are three returnees.

Nantonoyama reclaims the #10 spot after a ten-basho gap. Kitakachiyama had to wait just over four years for his return, setting a personal best with the #2 spot here. Most remarkably, Kotononami is back in green for the first time in over ten years, having last been there in 2011 Hatsu! The 61-basho gap is the longest in history, breaking Andoreasu's long-standing record of 55 which dates back to 2012 Kyushu.

Heriokuno is the 24th player to top the rankings. Jakusotsu is the 17th player to accumulate 5,000 career points.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Really amazing stat , thanks for that.

I may return out of green very quickly as I moved out Hakuho from the next banzuke with a M18e slot.  

Not the right thing to do apparently.

• Like 2