Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

YDC convenes after Nagoya 2021and Terunofuji responds

Posted (edited)

"Don't copy Hakuhou's manner!!" was the underlying tone of things as the YDC unanimously recommended Terunofuji's Yokozuna promotion. 

Member Mr. Sugita: "He dropped all the way to Johnny Dunne Jonidan and struggled hard to get back and that has deeply moved sumo fans. This is the Mongolian version of pride. A Yokozuna has to be an example for everyone. I hope he learns from Hakuhou's strength but not from his manners, and hope he becomes a magnificent Yokozuna."

Mr. Yamauchi: "From here on he should conduct himself as a Yokozuna. I want him to be a beacon for all the children and all those who want to join sumo in the future. As an example, I'd like him to be like Ohtani from the Angels and be at his own level, being an example for everyone as a rikishi and as a Yokozuna. For people to support him, he has to be a worthy Yokozuna inside and outside of the ring."

Mr. Tango: "He has truly done well to return. Hinkaku (dignity for want of another word, I guess..) is the  pinnacle of sumo, to be strived for. He has shown that he can totally concentrate on sumo and I value that highly. Hakuhou's actions are regrettable, but this is Japan's national sport and hinkaku is important. I'd like him to polish his hinkaku by listening to his oyakata and to opinions of people surrounding him."

Mr. Koumura: "His promotion goes without saying. What he has achieved is beyond description. I value that very highly. I want him to do sumo that is on the level, fair and square. So long as he doesn't aggravate his knee injuries, he should be a calm Yokozuna."

Mr. Tokura: "Regarding Terunofuji, everyone was in  agreement. Having a strict Oyakata, I expect him to become a Yokozuna who will practice aesthetic sumo."

Mr. Oshima: "Making his way back from Jonidan and getting successive yushos, he faced the final day in Nagoya unbeaten. That story has touched the hearts of everyone. It's remarkable that he managed to take over the bashos where no Yokozuna was present. He has also grown mentally with his return. I want him to do Yokozuna - like sumo from here on.  A Yokozuna is expected to be far more than an  Ozeki. I want him to become a dai-Yokozuna, bearing that in mind."

Mr. Dichne, honorary member: "Congrats man, you are awesome. Stay healthy and train for the rematch!!"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Terunofuji: "It's not 100% yet so I'm not letting my feelings go.. I'm thinking i want to continue gambarizing from here on. I want to totally change the way I feel one more time. That being said, I am thankful that everyone values my efforts. I have done all I am able to do at this point. I planned on giving it my all and was able to concentrate and remain calm in every bout. Every day, I felt those days of training were bearing fruit. I faced every day seriously and hoped the results would follow. I did the best I could on senshuraku. I told myself to believe in myself and use all my power and did all I could. The fact that I couldn't win is due to my own weakness." Special words when the delegation comes to promote him? "I'll have to think what being a Yokozuna means and how it will affect my life. I will be discussing this with my Oyakata and Okamisan and hope to come up with something good."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 9

34 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Mr. Dichne, honorary member: "Congrats man, you are awesome. Stay healthy and train for the rematch!!"

My thoughts exactly. The proper answer to Hakuho's victory is to defeat him next time, and do it with more dignity than Hakuho is capable of.

Posted (edited)

YDC on Hakuhou:

Chairman Yano: "I couldn't believe my eyes on day 14 when he lined up way behind the shikirisen. The daily harites, the undoubtable forearm kachi- age attack on senshuraku,  and that pose he struck after winning , which is totally unacceptable in martial arts - seeing all that, I thought it was indeed ugly. However you looked at it, it was not pretty. I think many fans frowned upon that. There is a deep underlying worry that sumo is going to the dogs." He did however acknowledge that the "warning" issued to Hakuhou has been rescinded.  "I just want him to act like the Dai- Yokozuna that he is. I want people around him to talk to him about this. I hope that will help."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

More on Hakuhou:

Mr. Tokura: "Hakuhou thinks it's all about winning. I expected him to to have the aesthetics of a Yokozuna. A zensho-yusho is commendable but there is more to sumo than just winning. Sumo is Japan's national sport.  I wonder what needs to be done in order for him to understand that.. After all, what is sumo? What is the national sport? Truth be told, he should be taught that by his Oyakata and elders. The rijicho should summon him and reprimand him for this!" 

Mr. Yamauchi: "During the first thirteen day you could feel that he was frantic and  earnest at times., but on the last two days he lost it. It was mostly the lowest level of sumo, especially for a Yokozuna. I was there on the final day opposite the dohyo, and that pose and that yell and the face he made after he won..  What the *&$% was that? That is totally unacceptable. There is nothing I can add. All of the YDC members were critical of this. There were even worse views on this than mine..'

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Mr. Tokura: "Regarding Terunofuji, everyone was in  agreement. Having a strict Oyakata, I expect him to become a Yokozuna who will practice aesthetic sumo."

Dig at Miyagino there? 

Edited by ryafuji
rm blank space

2 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Dig at Miyagino there? 

No, more like some kissing up to Isegahama, the important guy in the hierarchy..

• Haha 3

Maybe also some allusion to that old chestnut that supposedly only a yokozuna truly knows how to raise a yokozuna the right way.

• Like 1

Isegahama's last yokozuna model had a good service life but fritzed out at the end with the karaoke remote.

Miyagino's yokozuna broke the fail-safes, escaped from the lab, and has been running amok ever since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neonbelly said:

Isegahama's last yokozuna model had a good service life but fritzed out at the end with the karaoke remote.

Miyagino's yokozuna broke the fail-safes, escaped from the lab, and has been running amok ever since.

And Takasago’s yokozuna was always an uncaged beast

What about Izutsu's yokozuna: ran out of manufacturer support?

Tagonoura's: didn't pass QC test until end of service life.

Posted (edited)

Dear terunofuji, please be a better Yokozuna than Hakuho, do not dare throw a forearm in the tachiai or show emotion. Forearms are dirty, evil and dangerous. You can try head to head concussions all tournament long, you can even drop people on their head and paralyze then from the neck down, that’s all acceptable. It will even be acceptable when we take a couple of hours to give the hurt rikishi the treatment he requires. 

but that’s all good because tradition and stuff, but don’t you dare throw a forearm or slaps you hear MFer???

Congrats on the promotion. 

sincerely 

NSK

Edited by Kuhne
  • Haha 3

In hindsight Terunofuji's promotion also can be read as a message to Hakuho saying - it's ok if you lose, at least you lose like a yokozuna.

Not that Hakuho gives any hoots, I'm sure.