pricklypomegranate

Terunofuji is the 73rd Yokozuna.

Just now, rhyen said:

Not really, in his competition mawashi, the belly will protrude. What used to be hidden by the top fold of the kesho mawashi will now be displayed fully above the tsuna. 

Eh, I was judging also by his moobs, which seem to have gotten flabbier. But it could be an optical illusion because of the keshomawashi thing, yeah.

I'm all out of likes so I have to thank you this way.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH, @AKINOMAKI!!  These are great pictures!!

Edited by sumojoann

3 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Yeah, he's going to start each day of every honbasho from now on doing something that clearly hurts his knees. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a new variation of the Shiranui dance that doesn't involve the iconic-but-agonising shuffle, if it prolongs his career a little bit.

Yes, it's great to see him get the rope but the dohyo-iri (either version) looks mighty tough on a fellow with trashed knees. I can completely relate, as I cannot even sit seiza-style, never mind shiko, after two knee surgeries. I feel for the old boy. He was clearly gambarizing to do even what he managed.

4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Eh, I was judging also by his moobs, which seem to have gotten flabbier. But it could be an optical illusion because of the keshomawashi thing, yeah.

Actually, flab may be a sign of losing weight.  The fat cells collapse when they're not supported by more fat.  Don't ask me how I know.(Sigh...)

• Like 1

So Terunofuji will have Takarafuji & Terutsuyoshi as attendants  

Hakuho will be left with Kaisei & Ishiura (who will definitely clash at some point in the next basho given their banzuke rank projection).

Will the reserves be drawn from Oitekaze heya again (5 possible candidates) or somewhere else (going by history, we have Tamawashi, Okinoumi or even the Tatsunami duo for something completely new).

4 minutes ago, rhyen said:

So Terunofuji will have Takarafuji & Terutsuyoshi as attendants  

Hakuho will be left with Kaisei & Ishiura (who will definitely clash at some point in the next basho given their banzuke rank projection).

Will the reserves be drawn from Oitekaze heya again (5 possible candidates) or somewhere else (going by history, we have Tamawashi, Okinoumi or even the Tatsunami duo for something completely new).

Takarafuji was great as always.  Focused, stoic.

• Like 2

Just quickly back to the shiranui vs unryu debate...does anyone here really think that Terunofuji is destined for a long career at yokozuna? He's just a temporary stop over so Hakuho can retire and Endo can 'get gud' and become the next Yokozuna and revitalize the sumo wrestler butt body pillow industry. 

• Haha 2

What do you mean "revitalize?" I thought those things were standard features of a Japanese house.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Takarafuji was great as always.  Focused, stoic.

He's had plenty of practice. I'm pretty sure that he has carried the sword and swept the dew for both Harumafuji and Hakuho before. He could probably write the manual on dohyo-iri etiquette.

Has anyone else ever acted as attendant to three different yokozuna?

Edited by Tigerboy1966
addition
  • Like 1

RE: Terunofuji’s knees and the dohyo-iri. I imagine it’s worse doing the squat as one of the two sidekicks, a role Terunofuji has often done if I’m not mistaken. He may feel more relieved he doesn’t have to do that again than! 

On 19/07/2021 at 04:41, ArvidMan said:

Great! I wonder who is going to be the next one :-)

Not Shoudai, he was the, "next Ozeki" but he is not the next Yokozuna. (Laughing...)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 808morgan said:

Not Shoudai, he was the, "next Ozeki" but he is not the next Yokozuna. (Laughing...)

You never know. All he needs to do is stick around at ozeki long enough for the next sengoku period when Terunofuji and Hakuho retire, which can't be that far off. He put together an ozeki run with a yusho and had two back to back junyusho before that, he might damn well do it again if he manages a 14-1.

19 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

You never know. All he needs to do is stick around at ozeki long enough for the next sengoku period when Terunofuji and Hakuho retire, which can't be that far off. He put together an ozeki run with a yusho and had two back to back junyusho before that, he might damn well do it again if he manages a 14-1.

My earlier prediction stands.  Ten years from now, when describing this period, someone will comment "Terunofuji went up to Yokozuna and Asanoyama fell down due to suspension, leaving only Takakeisho as Ozeki."  Hope I'm wrong, but ...

16 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Has anyone else ever acted as attendant to three different yokozuna?

Interesting question. I don't know the answer but I'm wondering if an attendant to the two Kokonoe beya yokozuna, Chiyonofuji and Hokutoumi, was around long enough to also attend fellow Takasago ichimon yokozuna Akebono. 

On 25/08/2021 at 09:11, Yamanashi said:

My earlier prediction stands.  Ten years from now, when describing this period, someone will comment "Terunofuji went up to Yokozuna and Asanoyama fell down due to suspension, leaving only Takakeisho as Ozeki."  Hope I'm wrong, but ...

Is Takakeisho looking good for this basho? I don't recall hearing if he was at the joint keiko. Being kadoban he needs to bring it, of course, or he'll be looking at sekiwake in Kyshu.

1 minute ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Is Takakeisho looking good for this basho? I don't recall hearing if he was at the joint keiko. Being kadoban he needs to bring it, of course, or he'll be looking at sekiwake in Kyshu.

You made my point.  Who did I leave out?

41 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

You made my point.  Who did I leave out?

What about our boy Shodai!!??  Is he THAT forgettable?!

Edited by sumojoann

5 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Oh yeah. Shodai    The last 16 career-high Ozekis have averaged 7.5 wins per ozeki basho.  (Baruto was high at 8.9)  Shodai at 7.6 is not looking all that bad.   Just your standard 8-7 ozeki. :-/

Edited by Asojima
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, sumojoann said:

About a month ago (I can't remember for sure how long ago; what am I, a computer?) I made a point about how underwhelming Shodai is as an Ozeki.  I just now reiterated my prediction that in ten years people will forget Shodai when they list the Ozeki of this period.  I am here to say I was wrong: in one month people will forget Shodai.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

About a month ago (I can't remember for sure how long ago; what am I, a computer?) I made a point about how underwhelming Shodai is as an Ozeki.  I just now reiterated my prediction that in ten years people will forget Shodai when they list the Ozeki of this period.  I am here to say I was wrong: in one month people will forget Shodai.

Don't ever underestimate the Shoudai. Next Yokozuna.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Don't ever underestimate the Shoudai. Next Yokozuna.

Given the tricks Hakuho pulled out of the bag when he faced Shodai last basho, there's little question that he agrees with you and Joann. And even his detractors don't question Hakuho's knowledge and appraisal of the ranks.

I think the time looks ripe for a possible new challenger into the ozeki ranks, maybe two. One of the big storylines for me this basho is whether Takayasu brings enough game to make another ozeki run, but I won't be surprised if we have new names in the hat for possible advancement by the end of the Kyushu basho.

I just laughed when I noticed this discussion is in the Terunofuji Yokozuna thread.

1 hour ago, Taliesin said:

Was there any Tomioka Hachiman activity? I haven't heard anything about it.

That and the sumida shrine will probably take place after the Aki basho since they need time to carve the names into the tablet?

• Thanks 1

Nikkan calculated the average length of Terunofuji's bouts. Very telling.

July 2020 - 14.4 seconds, 13-2 yusho at M17

Aki 2020 - 6.7 seconds, 8-5-2 at M1

November 2020  - 9.5 seconds, 13-2 jun-yusho at Komusubi

Hatsu 2012 11.9 seconds, 11-4 jun-yusho at Sekiwake

Haru 2021 - 9.3 seconds, 12-3 yusho at Sekiwake

Natsu 2021 - 8.7 seconds, 12-3 yusho at Ozeki

July 2021 - 13.2 seconds, 14-1 jun-yusho  at Ozeki

Aki 2021 - 27.7 seconds, 13-2 yusho at Yokozuna.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3