Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Nagoya 2021 kyujo list

7 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

any info on Hattori? sumodb has him at 0-1-1 and he's not on the day 5 schedule..

He's back for day 6, but a four-days hiatus is quite unusual, indeed.

• Like 1

There seems to be a display error on sumodb currrently where an extra '0' is being inserted on the banzuke screen for quite a few Makushita and below guys, making it seem like they have a no-show bout, I think that's causing some confusion? Example:

Untitled.png.061dab3ae8e2a29b98c70dd57525e296.png

vs

Untitle.png.0ffc4d5dbedcbdbbc1371b7cf2c2758a.png

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

It's unusual, but not impossible in the way things work.  If he fought on Day 1 in Round 1, and then was the odd man out in Round 2 and thereby had his second match delayed, and then there was no odd man out for Round 3 so that he'd only get his normal match and not the make-up match, and the normal match was scheduled on the second day of the Round (Day 6), that would lead to a 4 day hiatus without him having withdrawn.  This sort of thing (including getting an 8th match) happens a lot to him since he's routinely the lowest ranked person on the banzuke, which makes it most likely that he's picked as having to take an extra match or have a match delayed when there are odd numbers of rikishi available.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, apraxin said:

There seems to be a display error on sumodb currrently where an extra '0' is being inserted on the banzuke screen for quite a few Makushita and below guys, making it seem like they have a no-show bout, I think that's causing some confusion? Example:

Yeah, there was a cockup linked to a makushita rikishi Ohata who wasn't displaying in the DB for some reason perhaps connected to his name change, and that had a knock on effect on everyone ordered below him in the torikumi sequences. Further feedback on that should be directed to the DB update thread in the other subforum, as that would help Doitsuyama troubleshoot whatever is ailing the DB.

I would suggest in light of the inconsistency the DB is currently experiencing, to check this thread and/or the official NSK kyujo list for lower division withdrawals - if they are not listed as having withdrawn by the official NSK site then it would be safe to assume for this basho that they are still fighting. I'll endeavour to update this thread at about 7-8am JST every morning for this purpose.

Edited by Seiyashi

5 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:
12 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

any info on Hattori? sumodb has him at 0-1-1 and he's not on the day 5 schedule..

They're just trying to put off his 100th consecutive loss for as long as possible...

His stablemate Urutora had the same kind of hiatus experience, albeit on different days, in 2017 Aki.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Yeah, there was a cockup linked to a makushita rikishi Ohata who wasn't displaying in the DB for some reason perhaps connected to his name change, and that had a knock on effect on everyone ordered below him in the torikumi sequences.

I promise this will be my only offtopic comment here regarding this matter, but my money is that it was Kotoyuki's intai from that spot in the banzuke. The DB saw it as a Sokokurai / Hoshikaze situation.

Edited by Koorifuu

5 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:

I promise this will be my only offtopic comment here regarding this matter, but my money is that it was Kotoyuki's intai from that spot in the banzuke. The DB saw it as a Sokokurai / Hoshikaze situation.

I find that hard to believe, considering every new basho starts as a blank slate in the database and there shouldn't be any way for the DB to somehow "expect" to have a repeat of a previous tournament's rikishi data at a particular rank.

Kotoyuki also went intai in April already, so if anything there should have been a problem last time, not this month.

In any case, per his profile Ohata's shikona change was picked up correctly by the DB even before he became visible on the banzuke page, so something simply seems to have gone wrong with the DB not recognizing him as the correct rikishi to assign when the banzuke data was imported. The resulting torikumi breakage wasn't any different from what we've seen when e.g. a new makushita or sandanme tsukedashi rikishi was added too late.

One withdrawal and one return on Day 7:

Sd39e Tsugaruumi (Tamanoi) withdraws from day 7 after losing to Sd36w Senho, the previous Jonidan champion, by yorikiri. His record to date is 1-2.

Jd51e Takatsukasa (Irumagawa) returns from day 7 at 0-0-3, perhaps in the hope of seeking his KK.

Edited by Seiyashi

Tochimaru was unwell today and had to miss his Juryo visit, giving Abi a free win to remain zensho. It's really unlucky, at Ms1w and on a run of seven straight kachi-koshi, his promotion hopes are in serious jeopardy now. Hopefully he'll be well enough to finish the basho, but reeling off four straight wins might be difficult.

Tsugaruumi seemed to injure his already-wrapped knee when he won his Day 4 bout against Hozan. :-( The kimarite was given as a very rare okurigake - only the 5th since it was introduced in the 2001 expansion - although I thought it should have been a simple kirikaeshi.

Note for anyone with Unlisted videos on Youtube, if they were uploaded prior to 01/01/2017 they will automatically be set to Private on 23/07/2021 due to a forthcoming security update. If you want them to remain Unlisted you can opt out in your account. Just found out about it when I uploaded the above video.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Tochimaru was unwell today and had to miss his Juryo visit,

So does that mean we'll be seeing a kyujo announcement tomorrow, because this is a sudden kyujo a la Takayasu? Or is it otherwise unusual for a rikishi not announced to be kyujo to miss his bout?

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

So does that mean we'll be seeing a kyujo announcement tomorrow, because this is a sudden kyujo a la Takayasu? Or is it otherwise unusual for a rikishi not announced to be kyujo to miss his bout?

He won't have another match until Round 5, Day 9 or 10, so until they need to make the torikumi for those days I don't think they need to announce him as withdrawn.  In the past even a sekitori has had a fusenpai and showed up the next day: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=9079&b=201705 - I don't recall if they announced him as withdrawn, but it doesn't look like he withdrew - he simply failed to show up for his match because of sudden illness.  (I think that Kotoyuki-Kaisei match might have even been the ISP match, but the fusenpai wasn't announced until after the deadline, so Kintamayama was very confused as to why so many people got the fusen the wrong way.  At least that's my recollection.)

Edited by Gurowake
  • Thanks 1

Also, I suppose it would be considered a "kyujo" since that basically just means absence when used in other entertainment contexts (from what I recall), but it wouldn't be a withdrawal that would be announced as such.  I think.

J3w Hakuyozan is kyujo from Day 7 due to anterior cruciate ligament damage in his left knee. Akua will pick up the fusensho.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

J3w Hakuyozan is kyujo from Day 7 due to anterior cruciate ligament damage in his left knee. Akua will pick up the fusensho.

Wow, was hoping it wasn't that bad. 

4 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

This is really sad news. Hakuyozan has been steadily improving and only needed 4 wins from his last 10 to get promotion. This is the second time he has gone kyujo at his highest rank of j3.

Really dismal news about Hakuyozan’s ACL tear. He’s so likable and I always enjoy watching his sumo. He’s been doing so well of late. This has got to be devastating to him.

Ms31e Marusho suffered what looked like a left knee injury in his Day 6 loss against Mudoho, although he was eventually able to limp away from the dohyo without too much help. He gave up a fusenpai today and is the only withdrawal among the lower divisions ahead of Day 9.

Regarding Hakuyozan, Takadagawa-oyakata (former Sekiwake Akinoshima) said they are waiting for the swelling to subside before he returns to Tokyo for scans and treatment decisions. The medical certificate's four weeks of treatment can be safely disregarded as "gotta write something in this box", I think.

• Thanks 1

On 09/07/2021 at 23:37, Tigerboy1966 said:

This is really sad news. Hakuyozan has been steadily improving and only needed 4 wins from his last 10 to get promotion. This is the second time he has gone kyujo at his highest rank of j3.

And not his first knee injury—he blew out a knee in 2012 whilst in Sandamne and missed the next couple of basho.

One returnee from the lower divisions: Jd57e Bushi (Musashigawa) is returning from day 11 with a 0-0-5 record, presumably in an attempt to stave off demotion to jonokuchi altogether by scraping together 2 wins.

Ms40e Nihonyanagi had to be helped away from the dohyo after his loss by katasukashi against Daiseido. Hard to determine what happened as the Abema camera was completely off him until he was already dohyoside. Didn't seem like the typical ligament injury, but he did hit the ground hard with both knees so perhaps some kind of fracture. Hopefully it looked worse than it is.

Edited by Asashosakari

Now that Abi has his KK 8th win, will we see him withdraw to lick his wounds as some have predicted?

12 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Now that Abi has his KK 8th win, will we see him withdraw to lick his wounds as some have predicted?

No word yet on the official kyujo list.

2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Ms40e Nihonyanagi had to be helped away from the dohyo after his loss by katasukashi against Daiseido. Hard to determine what happened as the Abema camera was completely off him until he was already dohyoside. Didn't seem like the typical ligament injury, but he did hit the ground hard with both knees so perhaps some kind of fracture. Hopefully it looked worse than it is.

Very sad.  He's on Kintamayama's lower-division celebs list, and he was an impressive competitor.  When the  lower division highlights videos were posted a few basho ago, he was one of my favorites.  I guess we'll find out the extent of the damage if/when he goes kyujo.

40 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Very sad.  He's on Kintamayama's lower-division celebs list, 

Oh, someone actually reads this?? Excellent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Confirmed that Nihonyanagi has withdrawn from the basho as of Day 13.

There is also a whole bunch of late withdrawals and Ryudens (i.e. doing one bout to avoid going banzuke-gai):

• Withdrawing
    • Jd28e Azumaiwa
    • Jd43w Kyokutenryo
    • Kd56e Tairikuyama
  • Doing the Ryuden
    • Jk11w Asahabataki (doing the Ryuden for the second basho in a row)
    • Jk12e Inoue (ditto)
    • Jk17w Setonoumi (probably doing the Ryuden after 2 basho zenkyu)
    • Jk18w Mifuneyama (ditto, was injured giving up a fusen a year ago at Ms23e, and has been zenkyu since; he usually ranks around the middle makushita level)

With no news of their reentry, this means that the following non-appearances (0-0-6 to date) in jonokuchi will most likely go banzuke-gai next basho:

• Jk3w Fukuminato (second basho zenkyu in a row)
  • Jk4e Tsuyasato (was banzuke-gai twice, and this was only his second basho back on the banzuke)
  • Jk11e Chiyoshishi (only second basho on the banzuke, went 2-2-3 last basho after injuring his ankle)
  • Jk14e Sano (only second basho on the banzuke as well, went 1-6 last basho)
  • Jk15w Yutakanami (spent more basho zenkyu or banzukegai than fighting: he has 2 maezumo basho, 3 completed basho (going 6-1 D, 5-2, 5-2, one partially completed basho (4-2-1), and 5 zenkyu including this one, perhaps an old injury is at work?).
  • Jk15w Chiyotsurugi (second basho zenkyu in a row)
  • Jk18e Kagamio (still finding a pair of scissors)
Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1