Seiyashi

Ikioi retires

5 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Will he?  He doesn't have enough Makuuchi basho (60) or sanyaku basho (25) to open his own heya.  You might think he had plenty of Makuuchi basho, but he didn't even make Makuuchi until 2012, so he clearly hasn't had 10 years' worth of basho since then, and he's nowhere close on sanyaku basho.  I don't follow what heya might have retiring shisho that don't already have successors, but unless there's one lined up for him, I don't think he'll necessarily be getting to run a heya. 

Best shot he has at running a heya is probably his own, but my guess is Tosanoumi will take over the heya first. Ikioi’s got a ways to go

2 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Will he?  He doesn't have enough Makuuchi basho (60) or sanyaku basho (25) to open his own heya.  You might think he had plenty of Makuuchi basho, but he didn't even make Makuuchi until 2012, so he clearly hasn't had 10 years' worth of basho since then, and he's nowhere close on sanyaku basho.  I don't follow what heya might have retiring shisho that don't already have successors, but unless there's one lined up for him, I don't think he'll necessarily be getting to run a heya. 

Just look at the Izutsu-situation. An opportunity to take over one, might come quicker, than we imagine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I guess my point is that there are lots of kabu owners who topped out at Sekiwake that aren't running a heya.  Did Ikioi voice a strong urge to become an Oyakata at a heya? Is there evidence he wants to restart Kasugayamabeya?

Truly the end of an era.  Ikioi was someone who brought way more to sumo than sumo brought to him IMO.

I could see him caddying for his wife at a charity tourney but I could see him more as the guy singing and getting the crowd going at the Pro-Am dinner.

God bless him and may he have a great retirement and the rest of his life. 

Ikioi had extremely strong right hand which he used efficiently from sukuinage position countless of  times. Of course he also had strong migiyotsu in general but this formidable right hand sukuinage he used not only to throw foes but also turn them around. That was his unique strength. Injuries spoiled his career as he could have been much more with his formidable strength. Very good rikishi. Sad to see him go but also sad to see he was so much victim of his lower body balagan.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I guess my point is that there are lots of kabu owners who topped out at Sekiwake that aren't running a heya.  Did Ikioi voice a strong urge to become an Oyakata at a heya? Is there evidence he wants to restart Kasugayamabeya?

I really can't recall any shisho-wishes. Maybe we just assumed, that a sekitori of his merit and popularity would end up as shisho, not as random oyakata.

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

I really can't recall any shisho-wishes. Maybe we just assumed, that a sekitori of his merit and popularity would end up as shisho, not as random oyakata.

Except he can't became a shisho on merit... because he doesn't meet the requirements.

Of course he can, it just has to be at his home stable. In fact he's the only realistic internal option at Isenoumi-beya where the current shisho is already 55 and the other two affiliated oyakata are only six years younger and unlikely to be desirable choices to take over when they'll be almost 60 themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Plus look for his upcoming electronica hip hop Enka album "When the Crow Flies" available at fine retailers everywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Benihana said:

For those, who haven't heard him sing

My God, I was watching this video while unpacking a new travel iron.  What does it mean?

6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

My God, I was watching this video while unpacking a new travel iron.  What does it mean?

Just file it under japanese people doing weird things.

8 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Are you asking for a translation, or whether the coincidence is significant?

If it's the latter, I'd say not. If it's the former, I can't really help other than saying it looks like a commercial.

Ikioi and his now former fiancé, pro golfer Mamiko Higa, have broken off their wedding engagement, citing differences in life directions moving forward.  

Could be that with Ikioi retiring, Higa has no interest/intention of ever becoming an Okamisan. 

Source

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Well, that was quite expected, I reckon.  Usually these things as engagements and weddings do not drag for so long in Japan  Hope that both of them would find a partner with whom they would have the lifestyle they wish to follow. 

But Mamiko comes from a family that basically has put her on a pedestal and has taken care of her life. So to go from there to where she needs to take care of other's needs, is not something she accept so easily, in my mind. 

Anyhow, it is okami, not okami-san. On a different note, I believe, there are current oyakata with 60 bashos in makuuchi under their belt and the JSA might make some exceptions if someone does not meet their requirements. I also am sure that Ikioi is a kabu owner, but whether he would find or establish a new heya, this is something I am so versed into. But, I expect him to stay in sumo. 

1 hour ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

Anyhow, it is okami, not okami-san.

Oh, okamisan is certainly used more than okami, at least on paper.

7 hours ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

Have I been led astray again?

I'm sure I remember hearing Harumafuji mention both 'oyakata' and 'okamisan' several times during his retirement press conference... Did I mishear? 

7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Oh, okamisan is certainly used more than okami, at least on paper.

Okami was used in Chiyonofuji's case- now with Ikioi, it would have been different, I karassure you.

12 hours ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

Not according to here, here, our own forum here, as well as here, and there's even a manga about a female sumo manager called Okamisan.

Edited by Kaninoyama

On 22/06/2021 at 22:36, Asashosakari said:

Of course he can, it just has to be at his home stable. In fact he's the only realistic internal option at Isenoumi-beya where the current shisho is already 55 and the other two affiliated oyakata are only six years younger and unlikely to be desirable choices to take over when they'll be almost 60 themselves.

That is true, but Ikioi himself will be 45 in 2031 when Isenoumi became available... sure, giving it to him as opposed to someone who will be 59 at that point is a better and more likely option. That said, 10 years is a long time and a lot can change before that point. For better or worse.

In any case, he can't branch out on his own (which is what I meant when I said he can't get it on merit), his only option is to inherit. And that depend on too many factors that are not under his control.

Here is Ikioi singing Jinku, sumo folk music, (not Enka as title says) --

This is a translation I did of the Nikkan Sports article covering today's intai kaiken. Most of the information is already covered here but hopefully it may still be of some value

Reminiscing on gold star earned against Hakuho - "it was good sumo"

202106250000539-w1300_0.jpg

Today the retirement press conference for Shota Ikioi (real name: Shota Toguchi) was held at Isenoumi-beya in the Bunkyo ward of Tokyo, and mediated online to reporters. Alongside his shisho, the 34-year old responded to questions around his decision to call time on a respectable decade-and-a-half long career. “I really gave it all I could. I am resolved in my choice to retire, and to announce it is a weight off my shoulders.”, he stated resolutely. “I was able to persevere until the very end. It was a blessed 16 years on the dohyo”.

Since debuting in professional sumo at the Spring 2006 tournament, the dogged Osakan represented the sport tirelessly, never missing a match until the final day of this past January tournament. After having broken his left thumb during a bout with Mongolian Daishoho the day prior, he subsequently sat out for the first time in his whole career, breaking a streak of 1090 consecutive appearances (3rd-highest among active competitors). “I thought to myself everyday - the moment I have to miss a sumo match, I’ll quit”.

Despite two surgeries on the injured thumb and continued rehabilitation, problems with dexterity remained, convincing further the one-time Sekiwake that his goal of mounting the dohyo one more time could not be realized. “I worried about returning, and I absolutely wanted to. However, I am just no longer in a condition where that is possible.

As time passed, I mulled over whether retiring now was the right time, and indeed, this is it.”

When asked about his fondest memories, the customary Juryo promotion comes up, along with his victory over Yokozuna Hakuho in front of a partisan Osaka crowd in 2017. “It was at home, and the atmosphere was raucous. I will never forget that reception the crowd gave me. (Hakuho) pushed back me to the edge, but I was able to turn it around and move forward. That was good sumo”, he beamed. “What a special basho it was. Through the good times and the bad, no matter what, I always felt the support from my fans in Osaka.”

“He had the materials for success from the start. Once he got to Juryo, it didn’t take long for him to reach San’yaku, and as his coach, it was very pleasing to see. I look forward to him teaching his relentless forward-attacking style of sumo to the next generation of wrestlers at Isenoumi-beya”, added the former Kitakachidoki.

The stable’s longtime kanban rikishi scored a Juryo division championship in his first tournament at salaried status in November of 2011. He was also the first wrestler with a single-kanji name to reach the top division since Akebono all the way back in September of 1990, a feat accomplished 2 tournaments after his Juryo title victory.

Utilising his significant height of 194cm and a formidable right hand belt grip, Ikioi achieved 5 gold stars over his career, as well as 4 fighting spirit prizes. Making his San’yaku debut at Komusubi at the Kyushu 2014 tournament, he reached his career-high ranking of Sekiwake 18 months later at Natsu 2016, although only for one tournament, spending most of his remaining career in the mid-Maegashira ranks.

Another noteworthy moment is his day 3 matchup with then up-and-coming Kagayaki at Kyushu 2016 which marked the first time since the inauguration of the yusho system in 1909 whereby two wrestlers holding single-kanji names competed against one another.

A popular presence on regional tours, particularly noted for his singing talents, Ikioi has built up renown both on and off the dohyo. From now on, the new Kasugayama-oyakata will help train younger wrestlers at Isenoumi-beya, aspiring to “raise strong, resilient wrestlers of sturdy mind and body”.

Ikioi bows out with a record of 546 wins, 545 defeats and 14 absences, at a final rank of Sandanme 21 East.

Edited by rokudenashi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, rokudenashi said:

546 wins, 545 defeats

Kachikoshi!

• Haha 6

On 24/06/2021 at 01:06, Kaninoyama said:

Not according to here, here, our own forum here, as well as here, and there's even a manga about a female sumo manager called Okamisan.

OK, unfortunately, none is factually correct. I do speak the language. Honorifics in Japanese simply explained here. An okami, as a role, is not limited to sumo and I can speculate 9 of 10 Japanese would never associated with sumo.  To give you a different example Ikioi's name is not Ikio-zeki, even though he might have been called that. 

• Thanks 1

Good decision, ride into that sunset, cowboy. I really enjoyed watching a relatively healthy Ikioi, but it was quite some time ago that he was relatively healthy, it seems. 

The break up with his fiancé is really unfortunate, but it is definitely better than a marriage where one or both of them are unhappy. 

Edited by Thorbjarn
  • Like 1