Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

New recruits for 2021 Nagoya

Only two new recruits for this basho. Joining Miyagino-beya is 24-year-old Shintaro Watanabe (渡辺  晋太郎) from Shizuoka prefecture. He's a Nittai-dai graduate and was under-85kg national collegiate champion in 2017, I believe, but after graduating he spent a year in the world of work before deciding to join ozumo. The rijikai confirmed his entry recently via the extended age limit for those with significant amateur sumo experience.

US9nZXP2_o.jpg

Joining Shikoroyama-beya is 18-year-old Yasushi? Ito (伊藤  寧) from Aomori prefecture. He's a member of the sumo club at Sanbongi Agricultural High School.

One other note for future reference, he's obviously not joining this basho but it seems like Sadogatake-beya will have its first Mongolian deshi at some point. The heya website has a placeholder profile for a trainee named ガントルガ  ビルグーン, which Google spits out as Gantoruga Biruguun. I'm only guessing at this point, but it could be Bilguun from Kibogaoka high school, seen here losing rather tamely to recent Miyagino-beya recruit Mukainakano a couple of years ago at the Interhigh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Watanabe is small (1.70ish/100 kiloish) and joins the small men army of Miyagino. According to people, Hakuhou himself persuaded Watanabe to join, if later than usual (24 years old). "I don't want to regret anything," said the lad.

• Thanks 3

On 16/06/2021 at 14:10, Yubinhaad said:

Joining Miyagino-beya is 24-year-old Shintaro Watanabe (渡辺  晋太郎) from Shizuoka prefecture. He's a Nittai-dai graduate and was under-85kg national collegiate champion in 2017, I believe, but after graduating he spent a year in the world of work before deciding to join ozumo. The rijikai confirmed his entry recently via the extended age limit for those with significant amateur sumo experience.

Joining Shikoroyama-beya is 18-year-old Yasushi? Ito (伊藤  寧) from Aomori prefecture. He's a member of the sumo club at Sanbongi Agricultural High School.

As there is already a Watanabe on the banzuke, the new one will take the shikona Raiho (雷鵬,  らいほう).

Meanwhile, Ito's given name is read Yasuki (やすき) according to his heya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I foresee an army of -ho rikishi under Hakuho's reign at this rate.  Is Ishiura the only one of his deshi to miss on a -ho name?

12 hours ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

I foresee an army of -ho rikishi under Hakuho's reign at this rate.  Is Ishiura the only one of his deshi to miss on a -ho name?

More like, where's Articuno? 

Edited by Seiyashi
He's got Enho (Moltres) and now Raiho (Zapdos), so unless Hokuseiho is the Articuno equivalent...
  • Confused 1

With luck, there may be some Banzuke-gai returnees to fill out the daily mix.  Otherwise, they will fight 3 matches in a couple days and begone.

23 hours ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

There's also Touma and Ishii still using their family names.

4 hours ago, ViscountessNivlac said:

So how does mae-zumo work with just the two of them? Do they just fight each other daily?

I believe if only 2 people register for mae-zumo, they just do one fight and that's it. 

NSK data:
SHIKONA KANJI NAME HEYA HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTHPLACE
Ito 伊藤 Ito Yasuki Shikoroyama 175 170 31 - January - 2003 Saitama
Watanabe 渡邉 Watanabe Shintaro Miyagino 172 90 21 - May - 1997 Shizuoka

• Like 2

Class of 2018:

23 - Ito Yasuki (伊藤 寧), Saitama

He's always been bulky, and did get a victory over Hanaoka Masaki (the best in their year group) in a Hakuho Cup once via yorikiri, but not much else to say about him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ahahaha. Another technically adept grappler in the Miyagino ranks then. Granted, it wasn't great opposition, but sekitori in the making?

7 hours ago, mikawa said:

Class of 2018:

23 - Ito Yasuki (伊藤 寧), Saitama

He's always been bulky, and did get a victory over Hanaoka Masaki (the best in their year group) in a Hakuho Cup once via yorikiri, but not much else to say about him.

Younger brother of Mineyaiba, is the only trivia I can add.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chartorenji said:

Though I'm not 100% sure, this looks like a video of Shintaro Watanabe (Raiho) and it's decently informative of the rikishi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WsC_2QUfms

Er, that's Midorifuji, who was promoted to makuuchi a few basho ago but had to drop back down to juryo due to injury. Raiho hasn't even got a mage yet.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Er, that's Midorifuji, who was promoted to makuuchi a few basho ago but had to drop back down to juryo due to injury. Raiho hasn't even got a mage yet.

Ah gotcha