Sign in to follow this  
yohcun

Asahisho retires

Will become Kiriyama-oyakata.

I bet they can't wait to get this guy in the commentary box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

This article by John Gunning is well worth a read. Sounds like he will indeed be much in demand on TV. 

3 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I thought he left ages ago..

Now I know why he never appeared in your Lower Division Celebs thread....

2 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Now I know why he never appeared in your Lower Division Celebs thread....

Next time you (or anyone else) see one of these, please let me know..

Too bad...  This guy was hilarious.  He saw me taking a picture of him one time (at the Yasukuni Shrine jungyo) and started posing like a bodybuilders routine. (Liftingweights...)  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

He seemed to be a good spirited mentor for a young Kyokutaisei in his documentary, always joking around.

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Next time you (or anyone else) see one of these, please let me know..

I read it every time.

8 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I read it every time.

I meant, next time someone picks up on a rikishi that should be on the list and i may have missed, please let me know.

I noticed that he was 0-0-7 in March for the first time in his career.  He came back with three wins in May for a 4-3, and squared his career W-L at 453-453.

37 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I noticed that he was 0-0-7 in March for the first time in his career.  He came back with three wins in May for a 4-3, and squared his career W-L at 453-453.

Well, he did have to sit out in January too because of COVID in his heya. 

57 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Maybe he decided to balance his record. I've never seen him, but from what I've just read about him it sounds like just the sort of thing he would do.

Can't be many rikishi who end their career 50-50. Too bad I have absolutely zero idea how to even find the chaps who come close via the DB.

4 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Well, he did have to sit out in January too because of COVID in his heya. 

... but that doesn't change the first two numbers.  The other one appears to be a legit kyujo.  If you look at the db, he had a strange 0-1-6 fusen in Nagoya 2006; then an 0-1-6 at Nagoya 2008 (lost the first day); a 5-8-2 at M16 in Aki 2013, where he came back for a 2-1 after two days gone; then a 2-2-3 at Nagoya 2017, where he lost on day 5 and re-entered with a loss on day 11 (he was fighting at Ms1).  All in all, he tried to keep fighting for his rank even he was being kept out; maybe foolherdy, but certainly brave.

I did enjoy this one a few years ago, around the time Takagenji was refusing to bow to anyone and constantly sneering..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Which shimpan is that who warns him about the slap as he's leaving the dohyo?

22 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Which shimpan is that who warns him about the slap as he's leaving the dohyo?

From Asashosakari's schedule for that basho, it looks like it's the third shift of the basho. That shimpan should be Minato (ex-Minatofuji), and the one on the left should be the late Azumazeki (ex-Ushiomaru).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kamitsuumi said:

From Asashosakari's schedule for that basho, it looks like it's the third shift of the basho. That shimpan should be Minato (ex-Minatofuji), and the one on the left should be the late Azumazeki (ex-Ushiomaru).

Looks like Azumazeki, from the face and glasses.  He points at Asahiso and makes a slapping motion -- Asahiso gives a little shrug and walks off:-).

It was Minato. The incident even made it onto Asahisho's english wikipedia page.

During this tournament he was reprimanded on Day 2 by the ringside judge Minato Oyakata, the former Minatofuji, for giving Takagenji an extra shove after the match was already over.[8] Asahishō apologized for the "educational slap" afterwards, explaining that he was annoyed at Takagenji (then just 20 and in his first jūryō tournament) for disrespecting his opponents by not bowing properly.

Edited by yohcun
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, yohcun said:

It was Minato. The incident even made it onto Asahisho's english wikipedia page.

Good catch!  I didn't see any photos of Minato with glasses (and please nobody post any -- I believe you).  It was a nice little vignette that I don't get to see on the basho digests.

Saw him on a Japanese variety show once, his personality I guess really stood out if they put him on the same show as Hakuho and Takakeisho

17 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I thought he left ages ago..

I'm surprised that Kintamayama wasn't following the career of a fellow rock musician...

• Like 1

Now that all of them are retired, maybe they'll actually put together their own NSK rock band?

• Haha 1

On 11/06/2021 at 22:42, Katooshu said:

I did enjoy this one a few years ago, around the time Takagenji was refusing to bow to anyone and constantly sneering..

It hasn't really changed that much.