Sign in to follow this  
Muhomatsu

Toyohibiki intai

Sorry to see him retire. (Sadgoodbyes...)  I was always amazed at his ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

He came oh so close to winning a makujiri yusho in Jan 2010 (Asashoryu’s final yusho and basho).

Judging by his second week's schedule, they didn't regard him as a serious contender. A Harumafuji win against Asashoryu on day 14 would have made things *much* more interesting.

18 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Judging by his second week's schedule, they didn't regard him as a serious contender. A Harumafuji win against Asashoryu on day 14 would have made things *much* more interesting.

Just a case of not putting him in the mix until one or both the Yokozuna had slipped up. So long as either Asa or Hak were in the lead, there was no need to deviate from the norm. (Also Baruto)

Edited by Eikokurai

28 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Just a case of not putting him in the mix until one or both the Yokozuna had slipped up. So long as either Asa or Hak were in the lead, there was no need to deviate from the norm. (Also Baruto)

But keep in mind they didn't wait for day 14's results when deciding the final matches back then. If Harumafuji had won, Toyohibiki would have met his first Sanyaku opponent at the play-offs.

Edited by Jakusotsu
typo
  • Like 1

A veteran of 66 basho in the paid ranks having to wait in the wings for 3,5 years to get a kabu is harsh. 

11 hours ago, Washuyama said:

Sorry to see him retire. (Sadgoodbyes...)  I was always amazed at his ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  

I still think, to this day, that they should create a higi on his honour. Toyohibiki: a loss by belly flop while the aite is just barely hanging on the tawara.

Jokes aside, it's nice to see he found himself some future in the kyokai and wish him the best.

"Toyohibiki" has become a verb in the Churaumi household, meaning giving up too early. But it's because we apparently caught hold of his career on the downswing. To be fair to our opinion though, we have been watching since Hakuho was a sure bet for the yusho...

A member of the German forum pointed out that Toyohibiki is the most successful Maegashira with 347 wins. (I'd never had thunk...)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

A member of the German forum pointed out that Toyohibiki is the most successful Maegashira with 347 wins. (I'd never had thunk...)

Whoever has mentioned this is obviously too lazy for a short query in DB. Just checked Aminishiki (579 wins as Maegashira) and Kyokutenho (624). I assume Toyohibiki will not even be close to the top 15. I'm too lazy to check this...  (Neener,neener...)

Ganzohnesushi

I believe Jakusotsu meant rikishi whose career high was Maegashira. Both Aminishiki and Kyokutenho are former sanyaku.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shumitto said:

A veteran of 66 basho in the paid ranks having to wait in the wings for 3,5 years to get a kabu is harsh. 

Is it confirmed that he is the owner, and not borrowing?

3 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Not yet according to Herouth. But that a kabu takes that long to even be vacant for borrowing, is what shumitto was driving at I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

Mere speculation on my part but if Toyohibiki needed to borrow then surely he would have gone straight onto the vacant Dekiyama himself. So my guess is he's the owner of Yamashina.

Sadanofuji is still borrowing as Dekiyama based on the text of the oshirase. But we won't know any of this for sure until the Kyokai site catches up.

• Thanks 1

In any case Sakaigawa-beya now has five affiliated oyakata besides the shisho, second-most in all of sumo behind Kasugano and tied with Sadogatake (and one of Sadogatake's isn't home-grown). Not bad for a stable that is barely over 20 years old. All those oyakata started their careers within a five-year span between 2000 and 2005.

• Like 2

I always liked him. He had a "look" about him that made me envision him as someone that was destined to be in the world of Sumo. Glad I had the opportunity to see him atop the Kokugikan dohyo. Wishing him a bright future!

He was the first rikishi who spoke to me. He said that hissing sssssssssssssssssssssssssss thing when I said ohayouououo gozaimasu to him in 2007 ( I think) when visiting Sakaigawa asageiko and he was just entering the dohyo area when I timidly entered the place. If I remember correctly he had a ketteisen with Tochiouzan in lower division when they were both coming up the ranks reasonably fast and I started to follow his sumo when he was in sandanme. He had burly body and good nnnngh!-sumo. Then he just faded away like some people do in life. Scooter!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaikitsune Makoto said:

He was the first rikishi who spoke to me. ...........

Welcome back Kaikitsune-zeki.  We have missed your fascinating comments!!!

Yamashina (Toyohibiki) was at the city hall of Shimonoseki and the prefectural office of Yamaguchi on the 28th

4.jpgo

the next day at the local NHK, 11min video:

4060011260_20210928185458_s.jpgvid

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2