Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- Nagoya 2021

Time to split this thread into a McD thread elsewhere?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I'm totally running this off topic, but any place around the Kkan for single serving chanko nabe? The mile long line to the kkan basement terrifies me, and its too shameful for even me to order a 3-person serving by myself.

There is a place downstairs in the Kokugikan that serves single-serving chankonabe that's not bad without leaving the building. The Kirishima place right next door that Seiyash mentions is very good and offers a fine menu, more of a sincere dining experience.

4 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Maybe take this opportunity to start the "Food Around the Kokugikan" thread aka Seiyashi's checklist to stuff himself once air travel reopens

Just now, Seiyashi said:

Maybe take this opportunity to start the "Food Around the Kokugikan" thread aka Seiyashi's checklist to stuff himself once air travel reopens

I'll bet there already is one...

3 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

The Kirishima place right next door that Seiyash mentions is very good and offers a fine menu, more of a sincere dining experience.

As expected they had a replica of Kirishima's yusho portrait at the front entrance, and the TV inside was replaying Kirishima's bouts from back in the day. Quite the ambience, but also a little shameless (Laughing...)

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

As expected they had a replica of Kirishima's yusho portrait at the front entrance, and the TV inside was replaying Kirishima's bouts from back in the day. Quite the ambience, but also a little shameless (Laughing...)

If you walk down the stairs when exiting (there must be five or six small floors!), there are various memorabilia displayed in cases. Since you can read CHinese characters, you'd get more of it than I.

6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

OK, I started a thread on Japan and Japanese Discussions. If nothing else, we can talk about food until the banzuke is released next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I'm totally running this off topic, but any place around the Kkan for single serving chanko nabe? The mile long line to the kkan basement terrifies me, and its too shameful for even me to order a 3-person serving by myself.

On the small street behind the train station, there are a few small chanko restaurants- very good and not expensive.

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

You have sunakaburi seats? Wow, never knew anyone who had those. Very envious.

Lucked into them a few times through the lottery system. After watching sumo that close up, I can never again return to the second-level nosebleeds. They're also quite expensive, hence the desire to squeeze as much sumo viewing as possible out of them. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I come early too, and go outside as well, but to one of the countless excellent local restaurants around the KKan where you can eat very quickly as well.  But to each his own- I don't touch "western" food when I'm in Japan as a matter of principal.. In the States- I totally burger away.

Just to be clear as we close out the McDs topic here, I am not and would never recommend anyone eat at Mickey D's ever, much less when making a pilgrimage to the Kokugikan. I'm going to check out the newly created food around the Kokugikan thread and am open to suggestions for options on my next trip.

I was just noting the oddity that for some reason, over the course of about a dozen trips to the Kokugikan, I invariably find myself eating there when I literally never step foot in there otherwise. 

Now, back to Ura's diet...

Edited by Kaninoyama

16 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Lucked into them a few times through the lottery system. After watching sumo that close up, I can never again return to the second-level nosebleeds. They're also quite expensive, hence the desire to squeeze as much sumo viewing as possible out of them. 

I need to check out this lottery system. Do you mean just applying for tickets directly through the NSK site? I've sat in the lower level on zabutons once and would love to sit in the sunakaburi section someday!

Any news of inedible preparation of masses?

Edited by Joaoiyama

8 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

You gotta check out Antonio Inoki's restaurant in Shinjuku. Wall to wall photos and posters of him, display cases of his belts and memorabilia, multiple televisions playing his famous bout against Muhammad Ali, life-sized statue and a single theme song that plays on a continuous loop. Talk about ambience...(Laughing...)

• Haha 1

Takatoriki had a BBQ restaurant here in Shanghai* with a big dohyo in the middle, some kesho mawashi and his yusho trophy (possibly a replica? )and footage of his yusho tournament and sumo generally. Sadly, I never got around to going and it appears to have gone out of business.

*I believe he has other restaurants in Japan too.

4 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

Not really. I agree this could probably be spun off into its own thread but it's all we've got.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

Actually, zilch. Stuff starts pouring out after the banzuke happy-o.

• Thanks 2

No, it's that moment just prior to when the banzuke gets caught violating Covid protocols by hanging out after hours at a local hostess club and it has to lie to the banzuke committee about where it's been and how often. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Is the banzuke happy-o when the banzuke gets released from inside happy meals at the McD near the KKan?

As a McD shareholder, I'm so very disappointed McDonald's doesn't do a special Banzuke Day promotion where they wrap the Quarter Pounder or some such thing in a banzuke-print wrapper. 

1.000 likes and I'll bring it to the next shareholder meeting.

Edited by Churaumi
It won't pass but let's do it for the lolz
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

As a McD shareholder, I'm so very disappointed McDonald's doesn't do a special Banzuke Day promotion where they wrap the Quarter Pounder or some such thing in a banzuke-print wrapper. 

999 to go.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Churaumi said:

I think I just heard a gyoji's heart shatter.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Churaumi said:

There's a rumor going around, I won't say started by who, that the Golden Arches will feature prominently on Ura's keshomawashi at Nagoya. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/06/2021 at 19:46, rhyen said:

This is surely a preparation for masses

also for masses of sumo fans

but not for masses of Rikishi !

So, PLEASE split this thread !!!

Pitinosato

What is a split Quarter Pounder called in French?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pitinosato said:

This is surely a preparation for masses

also for masses of sumo fans

but not for masses of Rikishi !

So, PLEASE split this thread !!!

Pitinosato

I always read the thread title that way and but then it dawns it's preparation of the rikishi instead of for the audience.

• Like 1