Gurowake

Endless Romanization discussion (split from Juryo promotees for July 2021)

5 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

thanks this is "SO" much better

Isn’t it,though?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

My personal favourite shikona in Chinese are Takakeisho and Myogiryu. Kotoeko, Chiyotairyu, and Akua aren't too bad either.

Asashoryu also sounds cool in Chinese: CháoQīngLóng MíngDé

And yes, we have @Dapeng

Edited by code_number3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

CháoQīngLóng MíngDé

Wouldn't it be Zhāoqīnglóng? 朝(あさ) would presumably correspond to the "morning" pronunciation.

1 minute ago, Kamitsuumi said:

Wouldn't it be Zhāoqīnglóng? 朝(あさ) would presumably correspond to the "morning" pronunciation.

Well, yeah you are right it is corresponds to "morning", QingLong sounds cool to me

14 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

At the risk of being pedantic there's a number of errors. Not least FuJi ought to be FuShi, and some other words are a little off.

18 hours ago, Asojima said:

Since this is never ending and the Chinese forum would romanize the shikona in pinyin, here is the current banzuke:

Bwah-hah-hah!!!  Goood, now we need to get arguments going about the banzuke in Urdu and Khoisan click-languages; then this thread can truly be never ending. (Enjoyingabeer...)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, code_number3 said:

QingLong sounds cool to me

In English, that would sound like Ching Loong as in Ka-ching, just loo(ki)ng. Zhao/Chao would be the equivalent of Jow(l) and Chow.  :-)

Edited by Asojima

Why not translate the names ccompletely in English? Then you'd get The Blue Mountain fighting The Flying Monkey,  etc.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

Why not translate the names ccompletely in English? Then you'd get The Blue Mountain fighting The Flying Monkey,  etc.

Excellent idea! Then you end up with names that sound alternatively Native American, luchadoresque, out of a JMMORPG, or just plain pretentious (or joke sounding), especially if we invert the name order and use the shikona given name first (some liberties taken for flavour):

East Position West
Soar, White Phoenix Horizontal Rope  
Outstanding Tree, Mountain of the Morning Great Pass Shining Faith, Noble Vista of Victory
Also Straight, Righteous Generation Great Pass Spring Male, Illuminating Wealthy Gentleman
Shining, High Peace Pass Guard Increased Brightness, Victory of Prosperity
Long-serving Official, Honored Peak Sea Small Knot Brave Person, Great Glorious Soarer
Kindness, Young Prosperous Vista Front Head 1 Great Brightness, North Victorious Wealthy Gentleman
Strength, Bright Life Front Head 2 Also Straight, Flying Monkey
Extending Right, Blue Mountain Front Head 3 Brilliant Law, Nation of a Thousand Generations
Steel Male, Foggy Horse Mountain Front Head 4 Becoming Greatness, Dragon of Exquisite Techniques
Intellectual Victory, Bountiful Rising Dragon Front Head 5 Also a Star, A Martial Cry
Also Clearing, Sea of Righteousness Front Head 6 Handsome, Outstanding Castle
Sturdy History, Heart of the Horse Chestnut Front Head 7 Great Help, Precious Wealthy Gentleman
Peach Greatborn, Flying Sword Front Head 8 Great Saint, Distant Wisteria
Sailing the Oceans, Sea of Grinding Resolve Front Head 9 Great Gentleman, Shining
Firstborn, Jade Eagle Front Head 10 Soaring Brilliance, Illuminating Strength
Very Excellent, Youth of the Harp Front Head 11 Wealthy Male Gentleman, Flying Horse of a Thousand Generations
Sufficient Law, Bright Wisdom of the Harp Front Head 12 Walking, Sea of the Hidden Divergence
Bright Lad, Mountain of the Brilliant Rapids Front Head 13 Original Rule, Great Suffocating Beauty
Resulting in Strength, Electric Dragon Front Head 14 Outstanding Order, Great Dragon of a Thousand Generations
Firstborn, Pioneering Holiness Front Head 15 First Becoming, Jade Wealthy Gentleman
Concerning Deer, Stone Bay Front Head 16 First Tree, Sphere of a Thousand Generations
Flying Horse, Sea of the Heavens Front Head 17  

Beyond the obvious ones, using this as the basis for a sumo pub quiz is going to result in a lot of arguments.

(This is just descending into straight parody (Thinkingindepth...)Some of these are good (I'm surprised how well Takakeisho's translates, as does Myogiryu's and Chiyotairyu's), but some of these just sound WTF. Daiamami's not-quite-aptronym just crosses the line twice)

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Tag yourself: I'm Great Suffocating Beauty. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Tag yourself: I'm Great Suffocating Beauty. 

My shikona is either boring or awesome, depending on how you read it:

’Britain come from’

’Heroic country come from’

’Eikoku’ is a slightly archaic name for Great Britain which literally means ‘heroic country’. I based it on Sokokurai who was the only active rikishi from China at the time, so it was a nod to both my shusshin and my adopted home.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

My shikona is either boring or awesome, depending on how you read it:

’Britain come from’

’Heroic country come from’

’Eikoku’ is a slightly archaic name for Great Britain which literally means ‘heroic country’. I based it on Sokokurai who was the only active rikishi from China at the time, so it was a nod to both my shusshin and my adopted home.

Google translate gives the kanji for my shikona as下駄 浴衣

A direct translation into English would be Wooden clogs Summer informal kimono, but I've always thought of it as Get a yukata.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Getayukata said:

.... but I've always thought of it as Get a yukata.  

That's exactly how I read it from the very first day. But that's probably because I can't speak Japanese... :-D

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Getayukata said:

Google translate gives the kanji for my shikona as下駄 浴衣

A direct translation into English would be Wooden clogs Summer informal kimono, but I've always thought of it as Get a yukata.  

Once when I was transferring names making the Bench torikumi, I typed it as Getayutaka, since there are actual rikishi with "yutaka" in their name that I was muscle-memoried into typing rather than the actual letters in your name.  I never realized until someone pointed out the mistake that the yukata that one wears was not the same in kana as the "yutaka" in shikona. 

That also reminds me that I once saw someone talking about "yazuka", and it took me a search of google to realize there is no such Japanese word, and they just misspelled yakuza.  It's actually a pretty common error to make as well, as there are tons of search results for that word, but none of them are for anything other than misspellings of yakuza.

--

As my Forum title indicates, I have interpreted my shikona (which is based on a Japanese rendering of my last name) as meaning Supporting Spinal Tool.  My last name transmogrified into Japanese would actually be Gurowaki, but the -wake of Sekiwake made Gurowake seem much more suitable as a sumo-related name.  It was really hard to find anything that this could mean besides having chosen the -wake part specifically to be the kanji used in Sekiwake.  "Guro" as a Japanese word is just a half-borrowing of "grotesque" which didn't really work since there were no kanji (even if I thought the meaning was appropriate), so I had to find individual kanji for "gu" and "ro" which are pretty rare.  I did the best I could, I think.  You can find them in my signature.

Edited by Gurowake

Posted (edited)

Mine comes from a much more involved process. It's possible to render the Chinese characters in my name directly in Japanese and read off that, of course, but where would the fun be in that? Instead, I portmanteaued it together, a bit like how Kirito from SAO (not that I like the series, just that a portmanteau is a handy way of deriving a name), to get Seiyashi.

By coincidence I found out that that was also the Japanese pronunciation of a pretty famous Chinese poem. I changed the last character to "lion" (as in Shishi), since I'm from the Lion City after all, and you get the shikona Quiet Night Lion - appropriate for a night owl.

The final tier in the joke comes when you realise the onyomi for "quiet" and "holy" are both "sei" in Japanese - which means I can flip between being a silent night or a holy night. Not that I'm one for the Christmas season generally though...

Edited by Seiyashi

6 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Once when I was transferring names making the Bench torikumi, I typed it as Getayutaka, since there are actual rikishi with "yutaka" in their name that I was muscle-memoried into typing rather than the actual letters in your name.  I never realized until someone pointed out the mistake that the yukata that one wears was not the same in kana as the "yutaka" in shikona. 

Yes, I remember someone doing that, but had forgotten who! 

And indeed it was a rikishi called Asahiyutaka, who was active when I was newly into sumo, who gave me the inspiration to call myself Getayukata!