Seiyashi

Araiso-heya branch out

3 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

2) Isn't that area near Takayasu's hometown?

Yeah and it's close to Araiso's as well, a contributing factor to Takayasu joining Naruto.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

For anyone interested in a pilgrimage to Castle Araiso in future, Andy from Tachiai's obligingly looked up its approximate location on GMaps:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3-6+Arakawahongō,+Ami,+Inashiki+District,+Ibaraki+300-1152,+Japan/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x6022720fc3ee5afd:0x21ce225c873a7836!7e2!8m2!3d36.0060654!4d140.1738628?utm_source=mstt_1&entry=gps

It looks like the nearest station is Hitachino-Ushiku, on the Joban/Ueno-Tokyo line. That seems to be an hour's journey at least to Ryogoku, at least on current timetables. 

Gosh that is really close to where I was living in Japan in 1990. What a pity it wasn't there then!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Interesting.

1) Did he save a ton of money buying property out in a field instead of buying a bandbox-sized place in Tokyo?

2) Isn't that area near Takayasu's hometown?

3) There seems to be a bakery and a ramen shop nearby, but few restaurants or hotels in the area.  The heya is going to be a destination trip, not a stop on the day trip to ... uh ...

Boondocksville Museum of Interesting Village Knickknacks?

Inashiki is listed as the birthplace of Inazuma Raigoro, the 7th yokozuna, although that seems to have sod-all to do with the shrine location.

The nearest hotel seems to be a business-hotel type place near the station. Jokes aside, there's also the Ushiku Buddha waaaay further down the road.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Did he save a ton of money buying property out in a field instead of buying a bandbox-sized place in Tokyo?

I think this is due to him wanting there to be two full dohyos in the training area.  The savings for such a heya is going to be greater than the savings for a traditional heya, but I have to wonder if rikishi are going to like having to take a hour train ride to get to their match every day.  I'm guessing this is the farthest away anyone's built a heya.  How far is the next farthest heya from Ryogoku? 

With Tatsunami's move to the old Chiganoura, that would be Shikihide, I think. It's actually not going to be too far from Araiso, since it's also in Ibaraki in Ryugasaki city.

10 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I think this is due to him wanting there to be two full dohyos in the training area.  The savings for such a heya is going to be greater than the savings for a traditional heya, but I have to wonder if rikishi are going to like having to take a hour train ride to get to their match every day.  I'm guessing this is the farthest away anyone's built a heya.  How far is the next farthest heya from Ryogoku? 

Sadotagake heya in chiba prefecture, I took the train there once. 
The only risk is that megatyphoon like the 2019 season that knocked out the Tokyo transport network. I remember that the McD in Ryogoku was not even able to open the following day, while the Sadotagake deshi hurried to kokugikan at around 10.30am-ish. 

7 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

With Tatsunami's move to the old Chiganoura, that would be Shikihide, I think. It's actually not going to be too far from Araiso, since it's also in Ibaraki in Ryugasaki city.

That may give Shonanzakura a chance to do some degeiko.  :-P

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

So a bit of an experiment:

Let's say you were a toriteki rikishi trying to get to Ryogoku in time for your bout. Which heya would be worse: Sadogatake, Araiso, or Shikihide?

Using Hyperdia, assuming a start time of 8:30am and using the nearest train station:

• Sadogatake (Matsuhidai): 43 minutes with 1 transfer at Asakusabashi, cost 930 yen, for a distance of 19.7km.
  • Araiso (Hitachino Ushiku): 70 minutes with 2 transfers at Kita-senju and Shin-Okachimachi, fare 1,300 yen, distance 57.4km. Alternate transfers would be at Nippori/Ueno for Akihabara on the Yamanote line, for a difference of about 200 yen in fares but a longer travelling time and distance.
  • Shikihide (Ryugasaki): 70 mins with 2 transfers, actually pretty much the same route as Araiso - transfers at either Kita-senju/Shin-Okachimachi, or Nippori/Ueno and Akihabara. 

In fact, Shikihide is two stops (heading outwards from Tokyo) before Hitachino-Ushiku on the Joban line!

Edited by Seiyashi

5 minutes ago, Asojima said:

That may give Shonanzakura a chance to do some degeiko.  :-P

That's not an auspicious start to your new heya is it - only degeiko partner is Shikihide!

I wonder how much of old Naruto's non-degeiko philosophy Araiso plans on implementing, though. Money may be a thing, but his heya is also really isolated.

The gang visited Tsukubasan Shrine today!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The lads after their training session (Araiso seems to be living his best life (Applauding...))

Edited by Hakuryuho
  • Like 4

On 30/07/2021 at 18:22, Gurowake said:

The savings for such a heya is going to be greater than the savings for a traditional heya, but I have to wonder if rikishi are going to like having to take a hour train ride to get to their match every day. 

That reminds me of a discussion I often had regarding where is the best place to live: City Center or Outskirts. My friends say City Center is better because you can go out and quickly be at a restaurant, cinema, etc. I say it is outskirts because it is cheaper and the houses are bigger and much better conditions.

As an additional argument, I say that I'll go out once or twice a week, but I'll go home everyday, so logically I'll prioritise the conditions of the place where I live over the location. Seems to me that Kisenosato thinks the same way: it is better to have good conditions at home, where you will be most of the time (yes, might change when jungyo is back), than to be closer to a place you need to travel 45 days a year.

12 hours ago, Asapedroryu said:

That reminds me of a discussion I often had regarding where is the best place to live: City Center or Outskirts. My friends say City Center is better because you can go out and quickly be at a restaurant, cinema, etc. I say it is outskirts because it is cheaper and the houses are bigger and much better conditions.

As an additional argument, I say that I'll go out once or twice a week, but I'll go home everyday, so logically I'll prioritise the conditions of the place where I live over the location. Seems to me that Kisenosato thinks the same way: it is better to have good conditions at home, where you will be most of the time (yes, might change when jungyo is back), than to be closer to a place you need to travel 45 days a year.

Degeiko will be very limited.

• Thanks 1

He'll just have to get a designated driver and a medium size bus for the necessary travel. 

16 hours ago, Asapedroryu said:

Under COVID lockdown conditions, the outskirts are better because you're more isolated and the temptation to go out is reduced.  After COVID, who knows?  There will still be a higher level of accountability over where the rikishi are and what they're doing.  If Araiso chose this location knowing that the suburbs would be coming out to meet them, it was a canny decision.  In the meantime, as I mentioned above, the gift shop might not make as much money as expected if it's in an out-of-the-way location.

Posted (edited)

Mainichi Shinbun's coverage of the stable opening. Obviously no opportunity for a proper kaikaishiki at this point - they are just getting on with it.

Former Yokozuna Kisenosato's Araiso-beya formally opened on the 1st August at Tsukuba University, Ibaraki, where the stable will be situated until the dedicated premises in Ami-cho are completed in Summer 2022. Araiso-oyakata wasted no time in putting his four students, breaking away from their former Tagonoura-beya for the first time, through a 2 and a half hour training session on the morning of their independence.
9.jpg?1

Front: Kato, Nishihara, Taniguchi. Back: Adachi, Araiso-oyakata

In an online press conference held after keiko, Araiso-oyakata stated his relief at opening the stable, as well as his aspirations for the future: "I feel like we've finally begun. I want to raise strong rikishi that can draw the support of sumo fans. While it is I standing in front of you now, I wish that my deshi become strong enough that they become the focal part of the stable."

The former Kisenosato also commented on the ongoing Tokyo Olympics's fencing event, expressing his keen interest: "The strategy involved is so impressive - I see many similarities to sumo."

Two more photos:

Spoiler

202108010000496-w1300_2.jpg

9.jpg?1

Edited by rokudenashi
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rokudenashi said:

Back: Adachi, Araiso-oyakata

Adachi (Hatsu-dohyo 2002) now joins his third heya.  He is one of four remaining active rikishi from the previous Narutobeya; still at Tagonoura are Terunosato (Hd 1993), Takayasu (2005) and Sekizuka (2013).  It seems the last active rikishi under the previous Araisobeya was Arawashi, who was the only rikishi to continue wrestling after the 2008 heya shut-down on the retirement of the Oyakata (K Futagodake: still alive?)

14 hours ago, orandashoho said:

He'll just have to get a designated driver and a medium size bus for the necessary travel. 

Still a massive loss of time and it applies for the beya who want to visit, too. Still i favour having more space in a cheaper and more relaxed location. It's the age old question of commute. Live close and pay a fortune to stay in a cramped place, or live cheap in the green, but waste time on commute?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Benihana said:

Still a massive loss of time and it applies for the beya who want to visit, too. Still i favour having more space in a cheaper and more relaxed location. It's the age old question of commute. Live close and pay a fortune to stay in a cramped place, or live cheap in the green, but waste time on commute?

Well the very important visitors are gonna have their own personal transportation to get there.

And there looks to be enough parking for buses - school trips?

Unlike a teppo pole, the possibilities are endless.

14 hours ago, Benihana said:

And it turns out that science has an answer: on the same budget, one of the biggest correlates with happiness is a short commute.  The suburban dream is a mirage.

(That being said, the rikishi don't have to go to the kkan that often, so the study doesn't apply.)

20 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

(K Futagodake: still alive?)

No death recorded in Wikipedia (and the kanji get confused for Chinese in a cursory search) so I'd say probably, yes.

On 03/08/2021 at 03:17, Yamanashi said:

Adachi (Hatsu-dohyo 2002) now joins his third heya.  He is one of four remaining active rikishi from the previous Narutobeya; still at Tagonoura are Terunosato (Hd 1993), Takayasu (2005) and Sekizuka (2013).  It seems the last active rikishi under the previous Araisobeya was Arawashi, who was the only rikishi to continue wrestling after the 2008 heya shut-down on the retirement of the Oyakata (K Futagodake: still alive?)

The previous Naruto-beya and the current Tagonoura-beya are the same entity.

36 minutes ago, Mightyduck said:

Are any of Araiso's deshi regarded as prospects? 

Even if I were to look at everyone in Tagonoura-beya according to the most recent banzuke in the DB (as it doesn't show anyone in Araiso-beya), there aren't any names that pop out at me as having any sort of short-term prospects.  Unless the DB has those Araiso-beya rikishi in limbo and not listed in any heya, I wouldn't say there's anyone that's expected to do well any time soon.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Even if I were to look at everyone in Tagonoura-beya according to the most recent banzuke in the DB (as it doesn't show anyone in Araiso-beya), there aren't any names that pop out at me as having any sort of short-term prospects.  Unless the DB has those Araiso-beya rikishi in limbo and not listed in any heya, I wouldn't say there's anyone that's expected to do well any time soon.  

Is that expected/usual for a yokozuna branching out? Rather than taking one or two good guys?

It must be difficult to build a heya attract talent etc if you are starting out without some recognised talent.