Seiyashi

Araiso-heya branch out

4 hours ago, Godango said:
5 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Araiso must rank among Japan's most eligible bachelors, so it's somewhat curious that he has remained single for this long, especially in a culture where someone in his position is pressured to marry. Maybe he just wants to fully enjoy single life as long as possible. 

Araiso has explicitly stated that he wants to bring a modern approach to running a heya, it wouldn't surprise me at all if as part of that he wants to buck convention here. A wife when he's ready to marry someone he loves, a heya manager to manage a heya. Makes sense.

Not to mention it won't place the full burden of heya management on the person he chooses to marry. I'm pretty sure there's at least a couple of sumo marriages that have wound up backfiring because the okamisan didn't want to be one.

4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Not to mention it won't place the full burden of heya management on the person he chooses to marry. I'm pretty sure there's at least a couple of sumo marriages that have wound up backfiring because the okamisan didn't want to be one.

I wonder if happened with Akebono and his wife?  I don't think pro wrestling was his first choice after sumo but I cannot recall.

2 minutes ago, kawika said:

I wonder if happened with Akebono and his wife?  I don't think pro wrestling was his first choice after sumo but I cannot recall.

No, that was financially related - Akebono tried the usual restauranteur business after he retired, but an oyakata makes much less than a rikishi. He didn't even get to the point of having his own heya. Puroresu sorted out his debts.

Just now, Seiyashi said:

No, that was financially related - Akebono tried the usual restauranteur business after he retired, but an oyakata makes much less than a rikishi. He didn't even get to the point of having his own heya. Puroresu sorted out his debts.

Wasn't his kyokai mad at him for not introducing and/or asking permission for their ok to marry Christine?  I suppose he could never afford the heya unless his kyokai threw in some money too.  I vaguely remember his restaurant, what it a joint venture in a steak house?  

12 minutes ago, kawika said:

Wasn't his kyokai mad at him for not introducing and/or asking permission for their ok to marry Christine?  I suppose he could never afford the heya unless his kyokai threw in some money too.  I vaguely remember his restaurant, what it a joint venture in a steak house?  

Something like that. But when I said the marriages backfired, I was thinking more of the oyakata who married a soprano who really didn't take to the okamisan life - so it was a case of the people involved not the financiers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Noriko Fujita comes to mind. She felt she was living a sham life but unfortunately decided to aggravate things with her husband and sons in the end. 

• Like 1

"He was my senior ever since I entered sumo at 15. He was 18 at the time. We've been together ever since. I'd like to gambarize in Nagoya, since it will be the turning point.." said Takayasu of Araiso's leaving the heya. 

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Isn't it predictable though that if you marry a rikishi, there's a very good chance you may end up as an okamisan one day? 

26 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Isn't it predictable though that if you marry a rikishi, there's a very good chance you may end up as an okamisan one day? 

In a world with perfect information, static people, and rational decision making, yeah. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. There's so many ways that wouldn't factor in. You could kick the can down the road and think you'll deal with the okamisan business when you'll get to it, you just simply don't know how much drudgery is involved, needing to give rikishi emotional support may drain you out, etcetc. The couple might go in knowing they might end up as oyakata and okamisan, but they might not know exactly what the cost to them as people in a relationship is going to be.

If Araiso is indeed splitting the okamisan and heya manager duties, then he reduces the risk of that happening and ruining his life. It could also be that, as with many previously unannounced sumo marriages, he has got someone and that someone expressed reservations about being an okamisan, leading him to explore different ways of running a heya. But all this is theoretic at this point.

Edited by Seiyashi

18 hours ago, kawika said:

Koenkai. Kyokai is the JSA. Koenkai is supporters group/fan club. :)

• Thanks 1

On 04/06/2021 at 15:46, RabidJohn said:

Maybe Araiso-oyakata simply isn't into ladies

Personally, I kinda think its this. No matter, how he runs the heya is what matters.

Araiso spoke more about his plans. "I want to have two dohyos. I got the idea from the Kashima Antlers football team who have 4-5 practice pitches, one for the young players and others for the other players. I'd like to do the same with our guys eventually. I'd also like to have some wampaku sumo there. The kids training in one dohyo right next to the sekitori- that would be cool. In order for that to happen, I need two dohyos.." he explained. "I also did wampaku sumo when I was in the fourth grade at the Kokugikan. I will never forget the feeling of awe and excitement back then. That is directly what caused me to enter sumo. There was no place for me to do sumo in my home town and I couldn't go all out and train, but that memory kept me going  I think there are others who feel now as I felt then.  Letting them feel that feeling and giving them that experience could lead to the birth of a future Yokozuna. Making this possible is our mission, is what I'm thinking," he added. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

The groundbreaking ceremony for the new Araiso-beya was held today. Takayasu attended, and I also hear Onogawa-oyakata (former Maegashira Kitataiki) and Nakamura-oyakata (former Sekiwake Yoshikaze) were present too. The building is scheduled to be completed in May 2022.

A couple of interior visualisations were also released, including the twin-dohyo keikoba. The heya's koenkai registration opens tomorrow.

OgJNnnB9_o.jpg

k6xfzyyH_o.jpg

ZmynBtR0_o.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

The standard warning in the world is usually "Pictures are for illustration purposes only and may not be an accurate representation of the final product" or words to that effect. But if there's one place where that definitely applies (or doesn't apply, depending on how you look at it) though, it's Japan, because the final product almost always exceeds the illustration.

Really looking forward to Araiso-beya - and maybe even visiting it myself one day. And congratulations to Araiso-oyakata for being one step closer to his dream.

Edited by Seiyashi

Is it Araiso-oyakata or Araiso-daimyo?

12 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

The standard warning in the world is usually "Pictures are for illustration purposes only and may not be an accurate representation of the final product" or words to that effect. But if there's one place where that definitely applies (or doesn't apply, depending on how you look at it) though, it's Japan, because the final product almost always exceeds the illustration.

Hopefully there's not a bunch of ghosts wandering around like the pictures show. Especially with shoes inside. Maybe that's why they died in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 27/07/2021 at 23:43, Yubinhaad said:

The groundbreaking ceremony for the new Araiso-beya was held today. Takayasu attended, and I also hear Onogawa-oyakata (former Maegashira Kitataiki) and Nakamura-oyakata (former Sekiwake Yoshikaze) were present too. The building is scheduled to be completed in May 2022.

A couple of interior visualisations were also released, including the twin-dohyo keikoba. The heya's koenkai registration opens tomorrow.

OgJNnnB9_o.jpg

k6xfzyyH_o.jpg

ZmynBtR0_o.jpg

I can see Yoshikaze’s back just over Kisenosato’s shoulder

Araiso-oyakata proudly presenting their new weight lifting equipment (I'm jealous! (Dribbling...))

Wow. That shadow-people thing is really tasteless in a Japanese setting. Although I have recently watched a documentary about Nagasaki, so maybe I'm just feeling a bit sensitive to to the imagery.

Considering the rest of the heya doesn't look like it's been bombed out I think it's not that bad. It's not something even the Japanese would like to recall too, I guess, so as long as it's not that obvious an allusion I think it's fine.

Edited by Seiyashi

This is a pretty standard practice in the U.S., though the ghost people are often a darker gray shade.  It is preferred because the designers don't want to be specific about the type of people who might be using their mall, housing project, etc; this precludes any harsh comments about -isms.  An example:

main.jpg

Note the compact ghost cars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

It is preferred because the designers don't want to be specific about the type of people who might be using their mall, housing project, etc; this precludes any harsh comments about -isms.  An example:

Or the type of trees and bushes planted, I see!

Pity they didn't throw in a slightly bulkier silhouette. You'd think it would have had been safe to put in a couple of silhouettes of rikishi, given that a sumo heya is the one place you'll be sure to find them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Or the type of trees and bushes planted, I see!

Pity they didn't throw in a slightly bulkier silhouette. You'd think it would have had been safe to put in a couple of silhouettes of rikishi, given that a sumo heya is the one place you'll be sure to find them.

Nah, you'd have to pay for the Expanded Clip Art package with the "Kabuki & Sumo" pages.;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting.

1) Did he save a ton of money buying property out in a field instead of buying a bandbox-sized place in Tokyo?

2) Isn't that area near Takayasu's hometown?

3) There seems to be a bakery and a ramen shop nearby, but few restaurants or hotels in the area.  The heya is going to be a destination trip, not a stop on the day trip to ... uh ...

• Like 1