Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Retired after May 2021

Posted (edited)

Quite a few, including a relatively mass exit from Sadogatake (5 guys)

Makushita:

Kotoyuuki (ex-sekitori)

Kainoryuu

Sandanme:

Takaryuu (ex-sekitori)

Fujisatou

Houryuuyama

Karatsuumi

Daishouryuu (Endou's tsukebito)

Hananofuji

Hibikiryuu (deceased)

Garyuu

Jonidan:

Masunoyama (ex-sekitori)

Kotokonno

Kotozenshou

Etsunohana

Kotonoumi

Kotokinou

Yoshimura

Jonokuchi:

Daishiryuu

Daishoukou

Chiyotaka

Amanoazuma

Banzuke-gai:

Shiryuu

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Will anyone be retiring from the May basho this year?  B-)

• Haha 1

Kainoryu, he with the funniest database pic (Laughing...)

7130.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Bad basho to have 'ryu' in your shikona, it seems.

Yoshimura joined the previous Tagonoura-beya in 2007 a few years after his older brother had tragically died while active. In 2012 the shisho (former Maegashira Kushimaumi) also died and the heya closed, Yoshimura was in the group of survivors who moved to Dewanoumi-beya. He lost the first three bouts of his final basho, but then reeled off four straight wins to sign off with a kachi-koshi. His danpatsu-shiki took place at the heya.

Spoiler

First and last oichomage.

rHctul5V_o.jpg

Kiyonohana is the first to make a cut.

szRIUMul_o.jpg

Nagata.

3clHpktm_o.jpg

Okanojo.

Glx8kkNM_o.jpg

Yamato.

M2RE911r_o.jpg

Dewanojo.

DFsNoqQC_o.jpg

Ryuseiyama.

S20Ym9fX_o.jpg

Kairyu.

yXlU3Enu_o.jpg

Mitakeumi.

bib3RRVj_o.jpg

Takasaki-oyakata (former Maegashira Kinkaiyama).

uKdfEIG2_o.jpg

Nakadachi-oyakata (former Komusubi Oginishiki).

OtmsNwgH_o.jpg

Dekiyama-oyakata (former Sekiwake Dewanohana).

I73u3T1p_o.jpg

Final cut from Dewanoumi-oyakata (former Maegashira Oginohana).

DKWZTMNO_o.jpg

Yoshimura after a better haircut and a new suit.

zcdw2C3T_o.jpg

mSA7N4ls_o.jpg

Daishiryu retires after 100 basho in the bottom two divisions, in which he chalked up 12 kachi-koshi, all of them 4-3. Haven't seen any danpatsu-shiki pictures, just a commemorative group shot and a post-haircut picture.

Spoiler

2msv71ge_o.jpg

Ng1Uvph1_o.jpg

Daishoryu finished his career with back-to-back 0-7 results, but from the pictures I saw he had lost much of his fighting weight, so his intai is probably one of those that was planned well in advance and with a job or education lined up ready.

No danpatsu-shiki pictures have surfaced unfortunately, but it must have taken place on senshuraku because he had an oichomage while carrying out one of his last duties as Endo's tsukebito, shepherding him to and from the dohyo to collect his Gino-sho. He shared a laugh with Wakatakamoto who was doing the same duty for his brother Wakatakakage.

Spoiler

LrDxN4z6_o.jpg

stWAuiW6_o.jpg

Brief notes:

Kotokino was the last active deshi of 53rd Yokozuna Kotozakura.

Karatsuumi won four yusho, three of them in Sandanme, a record he shares with Wakanojo.

Horyuyama made it to Ms1w in 2014 Nagoya but fell one win short of promotion to Juryo. Now that I look at it, one more win in the basho either side of that could have earned him promotion as well, but alas it wasn't to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

5 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

I wonder if Kotonawa or Ounabara will ever retire..

Wow, Kotonowa is banzuke gai for five years..

12 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

but he is probably a great cook.  :-P

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Seriously, how does this happen? Is it possible that he quit but never got around to submitting his retirement papers?

Edited by Tigerboy1966
punctuation

29 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Seriously, how does this happen? Is it possible that he quit but never got around to submitting his retirement papers?

I think it was mentioned around these parts that stablemasters would rather not submit retirement papers on behalf of deshi they aren't completely sure want to quit sumo. Maybe Kotonowa said "give me some time to think about it" and he's just not significant enough in the grand scheme of things for anyone to be arsed about checking in with him. 

28 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:
59 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I think it was mentioned around these parts that stablemasters would rather not submit retirement papers on behalf of deshi they aren't completely sure want to quit sumo. Maybe Kotonowa said "give me some time to think about it" and he's just not significant enough in the grand scheme of things for anyone to be arsed about checking in with him. 

I suppose the most charitable construction that could be put on the situation is that Kotonawa is young and showed some promise before getting injured so that the stablemaster is leaving the door open just in case he wants to come back. That doesn't apply to Ounabara who spent over a decade bouncing between jonidan and sandanme and is now 35 years old. In his case Asojima's "great cook" theory seems almost plausible.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I suppose the most charitable construction that could be put on the situation is that Kotonawa is young and showed some promise before getting injured so that the stablemaster is leaving the door open just in case he wants to come back. That doesn't apply to Ounabara who spent over a decade bouncing between jonidan and sandanme and is now 35 years old. In his case Asojima's "great cook" theory seems almost plausible.

I understand that heya receive a stipend for their lower division rikishi as well... I'd be curious to understand if this extends to banzuke-gai rikishi. There aren't many. But certain stables do seem to recruit with volume in mind.

1 hour ago, themistyseas said:

I understand that heya receive a stipend for their lower division rikishi as well... I'd be curious to understand if this extends to banzuke-gai rikishi. There aren't many. But certain stables do seem to recruit with volume in mind.

This came up recently in the Hibikiryu thread:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, themistyseas said:

Anyone on here read Gogol's "Dead Souls"... The owners of serfs in 19th century Russia had to pay tax on them, even if the individuals were dead, until the census was updated, which didn't happen very often. I wonder if some oyakata have discovered a "Reverse Dead Souls" loophole?

I like to check the records of the "not quite sekitori" when they retire. It's harder to get closer to sekitori status and fall short than Horyuyama did in July 2014. At makushita 1 he went 3-4 with his defeats coming against Sakigake, Kitaharima, Wakakoyu and Kotoeko. That's tough luck. 59 basho in makushita but his fingers slipped when he tried to grab the brass ring. He had wins over Chiyoshoma, Daieisho, Ishiura, Kyokutaisei, Ryuden and Terutsuyoshi. He's a Toyo University graduate so he has something to fall back on when he walks out of the heya for the last time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Asojima said:

but he is probably a great cook.  :-P

I was thinking exactly the same thing!!

Posted (edited)

It always pains me to see a guy spend years in makushita, come so close to sekitorihood, but never make it. 

Edited by Katooshu

23 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I like to check the records of the "not quite sekitori" when they retire. It's harder to get closer to sekitori status and fall short than Horyuyama did in July 2014. At makushita 1 he went 3-4 with his defeats coming against Sakigake, Kitaharima, Wakakoyu and Kotoeko. That's tough luck. 59 basho in makushita but his fingers slipped when he tried to grab the brass ring. He had wins over Chiyoshoma, Daieisho, Ishiura, Kyokutaisei, Ryuden and Terutsuyoshi. He's a Toyo University graduate so he has something to fall back on when he walks out of the heya for the last time.

I recently learned about Shishuyama, who reached Ms1e three times but could advance no further. He came up to fight a Juryo bout on ten occasions, not sure if that's a record for someone who never held a Juryo rank. (Newly-promoted Kotokuzan doesn't have to worry about that any more, he fought six Juryo bouts so far.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:
23 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I recently learned about Shishuyama, who reached Ms1e three times but could advance no further. He came up to fight a Juryo bout on ten occasions, not sure if that's a record for someone who never held a Juryo rank. (Newly-promoted Kotokuzan doesn't have to worry about that any more, he fought six Juryo bouts so far.)

We should have a special "near-miss" category for guys like this. Shishuyama did get to the upper gate of purgatory three times but never did better than 2-5 at the rank. I wonder if anyone has any pictures of this lad as he must have been an interesting physical specimen: 1.95 metres and 115 kg.

It looks as though Kotodaigo is the current president of this club.

Edited by Tigerboy1966
expand

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

He's actually got a ja.wiki article, which indicates that he's indeed the co-leader of that record together with one Raiko (1970s era, not the brief sekitori from about 15 years ago). I don't dare try to verify that right now as a quick DB query is spitting out over 150 rikishi with 10+ bouts...

Interestingly Raiko started his career with three makekoshi, so now I'm wondering if his career high of makushita 2 is the highest anyone has gone after that. (Actually I bet we tried to find that out in a Persistence Watch thread at some point many years ago.)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

He's actually got a ja.wiki article, which indicates that he's indeed the co-leader of that record together with one Raiko (1970s era, not the brief sekitori from about 15 years ago). I don't dare try to verify that right now as a quick DB query is spitting out over 150 rikishi with 10+ bouts...

No picture on that article unfortunately. He must have looked more like a basketball player than a sumo wrestler. Would be interesting to start a thread on the best wrestlers who never made it beyond a certain point. Of the current crop I would have Mitakeumi in there at "never made ozeki" and Terunofuji at "never made yokozuna". Looking back a little I suppose Kaio and Konishiki would be in the "NMY" category.

On 01/06/2021 at 17:39, Tigerboy1966 said:

Of the current crop I would have Mitakeumi in there at "never made ozeki" and Terunofuji at "never made yokozuna". Looking back a little I suppose Kaio and Konishiki would be in the "NMY" category.

At least give Terunofuji the next basho...

• Like 1