Kintamayama

Nagoya Basho 2021

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, orandashoho said:

Oh, wow. That is a major life-threatening event. Imagine someone being in the path of that thing.

Quite unfortunately, a number were. I believe 20 deaths were reported the last I looked.

Atami is, unsurprisingly, the shusshin of Isegahama's Atamifuji. I hope he hasn't lost anyone in this mudslide.

EDIT: Correction, 20 are missing and 2 bodies were found.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Sunday may give us an opportunity to observe a vanishingly rare phenomenon- a win for Shonanzakura. He has been matched against Byakuen a tiny debutant who claims to be 16 but looks as though he used a fake ID to get admitted. I don't want to jinx our boy but this looks like his best chance since his old mate Huon gave up.

Judging from the maezumo videos, Byakuen seems to know what ‘forward’ is. That alone will probably terrify and confound Hattorizakura/Shonanzakura.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Haha 2

Oh, wow. That is a major life-threatening event. Imagine someone being in the path of that thing.

That wave looks like it was going ~30 mi/hr (50 km/hr); it's not something you can outrun.

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Judging from the maezumo videos, Byakuen seems to know what ‘forward’ is. That alone will probably terrify and confound Hattorizakura/Shonanzakura.

After his torrid 2-26 string in 2018-2019, Oyakata have come up with revised tactics for their Jk rikishi against this guy: 1) don't trip; 2) keep pushing.  What with the tumult at Shikihidebeya, they haven't yet developed a counter-strategy.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

That wave looks like it was going ~30 mi/hr (50 km/hr); it's not something you can outrun.

Certainly not by trying to go parallel; your best hope is to try lateral and high ground. Some people did do that, although whether they were going to be in it but escaped, or would have been out of it anyway, is not certain.

Would like to see if Byakuen can string together a 4-3, that would be more wins in his debut basho than Shonanzakura's career combined

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

Would like to see if Byakuen can string together a 4-3, that would be more wins in his debut basho than Shonanzakura's career combined

I don’t think it’s too early to declare that Byakuen has already had a more successful career than him.

• Haha 1

If anyone could PM me a link to a good stream that would be awesome. 

I used to use mbovo. 

Enjoy the basho everyone! My fingers are crossed that Hakuho will be able to compete in all 15 days. 

Welcome back sumo forum!

Hakuho looked relieved as heck to get that first win yesterday, as did Ura. 

As anticipated, The Woman was nowhere to be seen in Nagoya. 

Carry on. 

• Like 1

And we're back in the room. Does anyone know what happened to Enho? I saw him getting wheeled out but I missed the match.

Just now, Tigerboy1966 said:

And we're back in the room. Does anyone know what happened to Enho? I saw him getting wheeled out but I missed the match.

It was weird. A torinaoshi was called, but then another mono-ii where it was decided that Enho was not fit to carry on, apparently because of a concussion. Fusensho for Takagenji.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

People are claiming that he took multiple closed-fist punches from Takagenji but I'm not seeing any closed fists clearly on the replay, and none of the judges called one.  Even if they were all open hand, Takagenji slapped him around pretty badly, and they went out with Enho on the tawara as Takagenji stepped out: mono-ii, but not looking at the real issue, whether there was a closed fist earlier, the replays all focused on the tawara timing.  Enho had a bloody nose, was visibly dizzy, stumbled on getting back into the dohyo after they announced a rematch, then had another dizzy spell and a SECOND mono-ii commenced, leading to the decision to award Takagenji the fusen win.

Edited by Ichimawashi

2 minutes ago, Ichimawashi said:

Enho had a bloody nose, was visibly dizzy, stumbled on getting back into the dohyo after they announced a rematch, then had another dizzy spell and a SECOND mono-ii commenced, leading to the decision to award Takagenji the win. 

Very sad, but it looks as though we have had an overdue outbreak of common sense.

8 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Very sad, but it looks as though we have had an overdue outbreak of common sense.

Not on the stream I'm watching.  If the comments continue to magnify, Takagenji will soon be accused of having used nuclear weapons....

Shots like that, even open handed, from a guy the size of Takagenji can do a lot of damage. He rang Enho’s bell, for sure, and simultaneously became probably the most hated man in sumo right now.

Posted (edited)

You be the judge.  A certain YouTube commenter may have a better angle from his vantage point in the upper deck.  We'll have to see.  On second viewing and comparing it to the previous Enho-Takagenji bout, some of these are looking close to fists when contact is made, even if they start out as open hands.

Edited by Ichimawashi
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Certainly was bringing in some upper cuts it appears. Although not clear enough to see if they were closed fisted or not. Perhaps while not being able to overturn the decision, an appeal could be made to discover if Takagenji was in the wrong, which could lead to a suspension

Edited by WAKATAKE

25 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Shots like that, even open handed, from a guy the size of Takagenji can do a lot of damage. He rang Enho’s bell, for sure, and simultaneously became probably the most hated man in sumo right now.

Even before this match, I hated Takagenji for his past behaviors.  If he has half a brain, he can beat Enho without resorting to slapping him around.  He has an overwhelming size advantage over Enho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

Even before this match, I hated Takagenji for his past behaviors.  If he has half a brain, he can beat Enho without resorting to slapping him around.  He has an overwhelming size advantage over Enho.

To be fair, so too does almost every other rikishi he faces. But yeah, those swings from Takagenji belong in the MMA ring with his exiled brother, not a sumo dohyo. 

Chiyonokuni is very interesting with his almost unmatched fury on dohyo. Too bad he has been so much injured. He never gives up and always puts his limbs in jeopardy with his tenacious Tawara dances and to the end-principle even in almost impossible situations. Ichiyamamoto looks weaker

Tsurugisho-Ishiura was a good example how strong rikishi are. Ishiura is all muscle and weighs more than 99% of people and yet Tsurugisho is able to lift him upwards even without any effective grip.

Tokushoryu has some subcutaneous fat deposits like hardened fat tissue of lipomas but he surely did his tottari beautifully. Of course it was the flow of the bout but such tottari always brings joy joy feelings to some (me at least). Good tottari is like perfect sneeze which clears nostrils perfectly without leaving any strechy slime hanging.

Chiyoo has good shoulder muscularity and great character based on that post-bout interview where he said more content wise than some rikishi do during their whole career and was happy as Maradona when he scored against Greece. Ura can rely a lot on his knee(s) now as he doesn’t avoid much twists anymore compared to 6 months ago. Exemplary rikishi with such history of two operations and slowish recovery sensation wise. Good to see him in makuuchi. It may be quite probable that his career will end in another knee injury in some point but for now he brings in excitement and fighting spirit. Seemed to be quite close loss to Chiyoo.

Tochinoshin hasn’t lost just knee stability but also some of his general power for some reason. Some bouts he loses clearly because of the knee problem but some he loses despite knee being in relatively safe position.

Shimanoumi is thick overall. Not dumb, I think thick is sometimes used when calling someone dumb in English. In my native language, thick is just thick, not dumb. Well he is thick body wise. From neck to toes. He is really solid and also does this tight package sumo always moving as a block and trying to maintain his body close together. Bit like Daishomaru in many ways but more stoic. He has also bloomed at more mature age and kind of flew under the radar in his path to makuuchi. He even challenges well some really strong rikishi. Today he did his own sumo against Terutsuyoshi and used his dashinage at the end. Dashinage also suits him as that is often done from this very stable and tight stance. I like Shimanoumi. He is the embodiment of classic all around thick rikishi with simple but beautiful sumo.

Tamawashi faded away at some point and became a rikishi anyone can beat in makuuchi. When he is able to his own sumo, he still possesses enormous power and he used to have strongest grip in sumo which is kind of strange considering his usual sumo style. Now Shoudai and Terunofuji have strongest grips.

Chiyoshoma is sometimes manhandled in brutal ways but today some great mobiity, reacting to Aoiyama¨s moves, winning every small battles within the bout and finishing with burly uwatenage. One of the best bouts from him this year. Great stuff.

I have a cramp in forearm extensor muscle due to deadlift so I refrain from further writing. Thank you for your attention, good will and please do understand that Hoshoryu is possibly the best rikishi in small fake moves before brilliantly timed throws.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Strangely, uncannily even, I had a feeling Takagenji was going to hurt Enho before the match even started. It was more a “What if…?” than a certainty, but the thought occurred to me for some reason, as did what the fan reaction to such an eventuality would be. My jinx, a genuine premonition, or just a repeat offender staying true to form?

Edited by since_94
  • Like 1

What was encouraging about the whole episode is that it looked like Enho wanted to carry on, but the shimpan overruled him. Enho looked real unhappy that he was being denied.

Shimpan were proven right when he stumbled just mounting the dohyo again, though.

Homasho did it again. This time no fake moves but immaculate timing. Great tachi-ai and follow-up, then migiyotsu and NO uwatenage but pefectly timed shitatenage which looked effortless because Kiribayama had no idea that was coming. Do deadlift, it lifts your spirit too and hip hinge will refine you in many ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kaikitsune Makoto said:

Homasho did it again.

Who? ;-)