Kintamayama

Nagoya Basho 2021

Just now, Mightyduck said:

Whenever I see this it reminds me of a joke from an old Irish sitcom about how only priests socks are actually black and normal people's socks are just very, very, very, very, very, very, very dark blue.

Father Ted? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

splat.gif.7b8f6d89535f949a868a1198ac269b3c.gif

I have a feeling Takaysu will do the same to him tomorrow! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Obligatory trivia addition: the unpaired 14-0's.

Haru 1943 had 3 undefeated yokozuna after day 12. And the final scores of all 4 yokozuna were amazing too: 15-0, 14-1, 13-2 and 12-3 (+ kyujo on day 15!)

2 minutes ago, Faustonowaka said:

Haru 1943 had 3 undefeated yokozuna after day 12. And the final scores of all 4 yokozuna were amazing too: 15-0, 14-1, 13-2 and 12-3 (+ kyujo on day 15!)

And the following basho they went 15-0, 13-2, 14-1 and 11-4. Stunning!

To be perfectly honest: Hakuho was actually trying to lose today, just so that he could give Terunofuji the good ol' Henkaryuu special and double Henka him, first in regulation and in the following play-off...

Kisenosato v. Henkaryuu flashbacks intensify.

• Confused 2

I'm seeing Terunofuji not giving an inch away, hopefully they go chest to chest but who knows Hakuho may just decide it's a  good strategy to kick Terunofuji's legs.

Ura was posessed by Hakuho's soul in those final few seconds of his bout. Powerful yorikiri! Problem is, now his soul got stuck in the goat's body. So he did all his best to impersonate him, pouting and slapping, but totally forgot about the tachiai :-D

Wow, what can you say about tomorrow. It is as epic as it gets. If this was pro wrestling this would be our Rock vs Hogan.

I think what Hakuho was going for against Shodai was to show how he can win in any way however he pleases. And whether he is 100% healthy or a bit less, it's still remarkable he can do this to Ozeki opponents. 

Terunofuji has been impeccable this basho, but can he beat Hakuho? I do think that as Hakuho demonstrated today, he has too many tools in the arsenal, he knows how to find a way. I'm still going for the current yokozuna, though whatever happens - obviously very well deserved and welcome to our next yokozuna.

• Thanks 1

Ten years from now, someone saying "three Ozeki started the famous 2021 Nagoya basho" will be inundated with corrections like "but Asanoyama doesn't count because he was suspended!" Then they'll realize -- they forgot about Shodai.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Benevolance said:

History supports the notion that Terunofuji is the more likely to henka in crucial matches. ;-)

OH! OH! MAYBE WE WILL GET A DOUBLE HENKA!?!?!? It's like double rainbow but waaaay more fun. 

Here's a hilarious double henka by Harumafuji and Tochinoshin at Aki 2011 Day 10.  It starts at 5:40.  Too bad they didn't collide! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Faustonowaka said:

Although it helped that they could only face opponents from the other side of the banzuke in those days. Imagine Hakuho and Terunofuji meeting the likes of Aoiyama, Shimanoumi and Kagayaki this basho...

1 minute ago, Asashosakari said:

Imagine Hakuho and Terunofuji meeting the likes of Aoiyama, Shimanoumi and Kagayaki this basho...

I guess the result wouldn't be much different. B-)

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

Well Aoiyama and Kagayaki have a couple of sharp weapons if you know what I mean

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Sure, but the first week would have been a total yawnfest. At least the likes of Hokutofuji and Ichinojo are having people believe they have some kind of chance.

(Oh, and of course: No Hakuho-Terunofuji match at all in that setup.)

Edited by Asashosakari

Here is a short compilation video of all of Hakuho vs Terunofuji bouts.  Part of me wants to say that Terunofuji has got his work cut out for him.  Many of these bouts took place before he suffered his severe knee injuries.  However, I believe he is much stronger than before.  But Hakuho is so skillful, I don't know if sheer strength can overcome that.  It remains to be seen who prevails. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Here's a hilarious double henka by Harumafuji and Tochinoshin at Aki 2011 Day 10.  It starts at 5:40.  Too bad they didn't collide! 

Yes, that's the trans-henka, where they leap to the opposite side and do a square dance ("Alleman right with your old right hand ... ").  I'm hoping for a cis-henka, where one jumps left while the other jumps right.  It would not only be hilarious to see, but interesting, since some theoretical physicists believe that the collision would form either a Higgs boson or Konishiki with an anti-Shanonzakura.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Eikokurai said:
8 hours ago, Yangnomazuma said:

Aoiyama with a dame-oshi?  Would you rather have Aoiyama fully engaged in the basho, trying his hardest, and putting in effort, or would you prefer slow, weak, IDGAF Aoiyama?  At least he found his balls and decided to fight.

You'll need to explain what his shove has to do with engagement or effort and why everyone else manages to be engaged and put in effort without it.

Apologies to those fine Forum members I've cited above, but this was the most recent comment regarding Aoiyama's dame-oshi.  It is fine to be indignant about the act as it is both unnecessary and dangerous.  Moreover, it isn't called dame-oshi for nothing!

But it is curious that everyone gets upset with Aoiyama when he does it, but when current hero Terunofuji does it (as on Day 4 against Daieisho), ... crickets.  (Bye,bye...)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Yes, that's the trans-henka, where they leap to the opposite side and do a square dance ("Alleman right with your old right hand ... ").  I'm hoping for a cis-henka, where one jumps left while the other jumps right.  It would not only be hilarious to see, but interesting, since some theoretical physicists believe that the collision would form either a Higgs boson or Konishiki with an anti-Shanonzakura.

In my 8 years of watching Makuuchi bouts, I don't recall ever seeing a "cis-henka".  But maybe it's happened in the lower ranks.  That would be so cool!

1 minute ago, sumojoann said:

In my 8 years of watching Makuuchi bouts, I don't recall ever seeing a "cis-henka".  But maybe it's happened in the lower ranks.  That would be so cool!

It would be cool, just for the awkwardness.  You might think that (statistically) it would happen half of the time!  This leads to a question that  maybe someone can answer: what's the ratio of right-hand to left-hand henka?  Do some rikishi clearly favor one side?  I would bet some do.

1 hour ago, Highway said:

Wow, what can you say about tomorrow. It is as epic as it gets. If this was pro wrestling this would be our Rock vs Hogan.

I think what Hakuho was going for against Shodai was to show how he can win in any way however he pleases. And whether he is 100% healthy or a bit less, it's still remarkable he can do this to Ozeki opponents. 

I think Hakuho was taking Shodai out of his comfort zone, forcing him to deal with a situation he certainly wasn't expecting. At least none of the rest of us were. That was wild and I've used the same word. It's going to be epic.

22 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Here is a short compilation video of all of Hakuho vs Terunofuji bouts.

It's Hakuho but it's looks a lot like Kotoshogiku with all those bumps. :-D

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Apologies to those fine Forum members I've cited above, but this was the most recent comment regarding Aoiyama's dame-oshi.  It is fine to be indignant about the act as it is both unnecessary and dangerous.  Moreover, it isn't called dame-oshi for nothing!

But it is curious that everyone gets upset with Aoiyama when he does it, but when current hero Terunofuji does it (as on Day 4 against Daieisho), ... crickets.  (Bye,bye...)

There are different levels of dame-oshi, and I get that it happens in the heat of the moment.

But when the opponent has already completely relaxed his body having conceded defeat, and then the perpetrator shoves so hard that serious injury is a real possibility, that's when it's gone too far, and Aoiyama's the other day fell into this category. 

Plus, it's Aoiyama. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

There are different levels of dame-oshi, and I get that it happens in the heat of the moment.

But when the opponent has already completely relaxed his body having conceded defeat, and then the perpetrator shoves so hard that serious injury is a real possibility, that's when it's gone too far, and Aoiyama's the other day fell into this category.

I definitely agree with your assessment of the Aoiyama bout.  I certainly wasn't debating that.

But on Day 4, Daieisho was retreating (his body erect and completely relaxed) into the corner, and Terunofuji stepped out and shoved Daieisho off the ring well after the latter had conceded. Watch the replay and I believe you will see the noble Mongolian commit an Aoiyama-esque infraction.

• Like 1