Kintamayama

Nagoya Basho 2021

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:
1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Shonanzakura's stable master, Shikihide, who is known for supporting wrestlers without oodles of promise, gave a gem of a comment to the press: "There are no flowers that don't bloom."

https://www.botany.one/2018/01/flower-never-blooms/

Pretty appropriate then that in Japan there's an orchid that apparently never blooms.

I hope Shonanzakura doesn't read that!  :-S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tune: Guantanamera

Tempo: Slow and unhurried

 

Chorus:

Shonanzakura!

(I was Hattorizakura)

One hundred losses

A streak that no one shall equal

 

I mount the dohyo mid-morning

Before the big crowds are forming

I do the warmups adroitly

And now the bout has begun

Being in ozumo’s really fun

But only thrice have I ever won

 

(Chorus)

 

Hey even Enho outweighs me

By nearly twenty-five K G

My bouts are over quite quickly

There’s no sense making them wait

A gentle lift-out’s my usual fate

The bout that follows will not be late

 

(Chorus)

 

To Shikihide I’m grateful 

Providing my daily plateful

Of food to make me grow stronger

And make my bouts a little longer

I know the day will come when we see

A kachi-koshi basho for me!

 

(Chorus, repeat and fade)

Edited by Ichimawashi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I hope Shonanzakura doesn't read that!  :-S

And what exactly do you think will happen if he doesn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2021 at 08:43, Eikokurai said:

But only one of those had the privilege of waltzing back in after almost a year out and resuming where he left off. I’d cut the Hakuho subplot from the screenplay. Audience’s won’t buy into it.

Yes, but Terunofuji got the benefit of fighting his way back into shape against far inferior competition.  Hakuho comes back and faces the best of the rest.  Why people continue to complain about the yokozunae taking time off is beyond me.  It's a perk that they earned and it's not going to change.  You can let it bother you for the rest of your life or accept that you're not in position to change it and learn to deal with it.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Forum favourite Shonanzakura Jonokuchi 24w (22 y.o.) reached an ignominious milestone in Nagoya: 100 straight losses.  That takes some doing, or should I say "not doing"?  

Shonanzakura's stable master, Shikihide, who is known for supporting wrestlers without oodles of promise, gave a gem of a comment to the press: "There are no flowers that don't bloom."

Shikihide may have found a prize bloom at last in Mogamizakura.  It will be interesting to see what he can do with a good 'un for a change. "Inch by inch, row by row..."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't stop thinking about Hakuho vs Terunofuji.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I can't stop thinking about Takayasu defeating both...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

https://www.botany.one/2018/01/flower-never-blooms/

Pretty appropriate then that in Japan there's an orchid that apparently never blooms.

Better that, than Amorphophallus titanum. Imagine that blooming in the already, let's say "aromatic", Nagoya Gymnasium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This basho Kotoeko has looked like a salary man who's had a tough day and would rather just go to stand bar and have some complimentary soba.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Very true.  But I fear that a zensho yusho will only encourage Hakuho to stay on in September and beyond.  After all, there have already been rumblings to that effect.

As dominant as he still is, why not continue, if his body is willing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yangnomazuma said:

Yes, but Terunofuji got the benefit of fighting his way back into shape against far inferior competition.  Hakuho comes back and faces the best of the rest.  Why people continue to complain about the yokozunae taking time off is beyond me.  It's a perk that they earned and it's not going to change.  You can let it bother you for the rest of your life or accept that you're not in position to change it and learn to deal with it.

The Kyokai itself isn’t exactly a fan of it as their regular comments on Yokozuna who abuse the system tell us, be it Hakuho, Kakuryu or Kisenosato. I‘ll follow their lead.

But I think you may have missed the point of that post anyway. I wasn’t expressing annoyance with Hakuho, per se. I was simply saying it’s not quite as romantic or dramatic as Terunofuji’s return, hence the Hollywood analogy. Hakuho just came back. Terunofuji had a comeback. Which film would you rather watch?

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

As dominant as he still is, why not continue, if his body is willing?

Agreed. Very few pro-athletes retire when they can still perform at a high level. They retire when they can't. If he wins this basho, especially if he beats Terunofuji to do so, he's almost guaranteed to continue in September.  Never underestimate the hunger of the greatest to keep competing and winning.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

Being in ozumo’s really fun

But only twice have I ever won

Natsu 2016 Day 6 yorikiri Jk31w Sawanofuji 0-2 (0-7)1-0

Nagoya 2018 Day 3 koshikudake Jk30e Soga 0-2 (4-3)

Hatsu 2019 Day 9 yoritaosh iJk14w Houn 0-5 (1-6)

Am I missing a clever joke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Natsu 2016 Day 6 yorikiri Jk31w Sawanofuji 0-2 (0-7)1-0

Nagoya 2018 Day 3 koshikudake Jk30e Soga 0-2 (4-3)

Hatsu 2019 Day 9 yoritaosh iJk14w Houn 0-5 (1-6)

Am I missing a clever joke?

I suspected I had that wrong: should have checked.  Fixed it…  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Natsu 2016 Day 6 yorikiri Jk31w Sawanofuji 0-2 (0-7)1-0

Nagoya 2018 Day 3 koshikudake Jk30e Soga 0-2 (4-3)

Hatsu 2019 Day 9 yoritaosh iJk14w Houn 0-5 (1-6)

Am I missing a clever joke?

I would have assumed it was that koshikudake represents a loss by the opponent requiring him be given the win, not that he actually won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ichimawashi said:

I suspected I had that wrong: should have checked.  Fixed it…  :)

A rhyme Lewis Carroll used to good effect in The Hunting of the Snark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

The Kyokai itself isn’t exactly a fan of it as their regular comments on Yokozuna who abuse the system tell us, be it Hakuho, Kakuryu or Kisenosato. I‘ll follow their lead.

But I think you may have missed the point of that post anyway. I wasn’t expressing annoyance with Hakuho, per se. I was simply saying it’s not quite as romantic or dramatic as Terunofuji’s return, hence the Hollywood analogy. Hakuho just came back. Terunofuji had a comeback. Which film would you rather watch?

Fair enough.  To be more precise, however, I believe it's the YDC that has a problem with it, and they don't really count all that much.  I may have missed the rumblings, but I don't recall the actual Kyokai saying much about it.  As for me, I kind of like both films.  You got Rocky running the stairs in Philly for Terunofuji and an old spaghetti Western - nothing terribly exciting, but familiar and soothing for Hakuho.  Sumo is better off with Hakuho on the dohyo as long as he wants to be there.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have ben watching to see who has the best bow in Makunouchi .

On day 8 the best bow was Hokitofuji.

The worst was Mitakeumi .

Not only was it the worst on the day,it was the worst I've ever seen.

 Was it even a bow?

What is Mitakeumi's problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Morty said:

Agreed. Very few pro-athletes retire when they can still perform at a high level. They retire when they can't. If he wins this basho, especially if he beats Terunofuji to do so, he's almost guaranteed to continue in September.  Never underestimate the hunger of the greatest to keep competing and winning.

Though in a previous basho thread I pondered the possibility of Hakuho retiring once the next Yokozuna emerges, that was largely based on him not being healthy himself. Given his current form, I think Hakuho may fancy sharing the dohyo with Teronofuji as a Yokozuna at least once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 is....

a) the new Ozeki unofficial target now that nobody can seem to get 33 in three
b) how many basho wins Hakuho had when I started watching sumo
c) Shonanzakura losses under his new name so far
d) the number of whacks made by the hyoushi-gi yobidashi following tonight's Juryo dohyo-iri when the shimpan finally arrived


???


....and the answer is....


d) 32 clanks to get everyone's attention.  (You had us at eight.  The rest just seemed like an audition to the expanded percussion section for Le Sacre Du Printemps...)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abi Watch:

Today's opponent: Mongolian bruiser, Mitoryu.

Result: 

Spoiler

Abi doesn't try a henka, probably because Mitoryu looked like he was ready for that.  Not much of a fight.  Abi loses yet again!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kaisho looks like he's back in silk to stay this time. Good on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it's time to get off the Abi train in the Sumo Games (I got off a while ago)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yutakayama has a successful return visit to Makuuchi after suffering his only loss on the last one on day 3. He's in sole lead in the Juryo yusho race and setting himself up nicely from J1e for a big promotion.

Ouch. Awkward end to the Kaisei-Kagayaki bout. Not only did Kagayaki lose, but he had to suffer Kaisei landing on and rolling over his face. That's a lot of man to have on your head.

Edited by Eikokurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now