Kintamayama

Nagoya Basho 2021

45 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:
1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Shonanzakura's stable master, Shikihide, who is known for supporting wrestlers without oodles of promise, gave a gem of a comment to the press: "There are no flowers that don't bloom."

https://www.botany.one/2018/01/flower-never-blooms/

Pretty appropriate then that in Japan there's an orchid that apparently never blooms.

I hope Shonanzakura doesn't read that!  :-S

Tune: Guantanamera

Tempo: Slow and unhurried

Chorus:

Shonanzakura!

(I was Hattorizakura)

One hundred losses

A streak that no one shall equal

I mount the dohyo mid-morning

Before the big crowds are forming

I do the warmups adroitly

And now the bout has begun

Being in ozumo’s really fun

But only thrice have I ever won

(Chorus)

Hey even Enho outweighs me

By nearly twenty-five K G

My bouts are over quite quickly

There’s no sense making them wait

A gentle lift-out’s my usual fate

The bout that follows will not be late

(Chorus)

To Shikihide I’m grateful 

Providing my daily plateful

Of food to make me grow stronger

And make my bouts a little longer

I know the day will come when we see

A kachi-koshi basho for me!

(Chorus, repeat and fade)

Edited by Ichimawashi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I hope Shonanzakura doesn't read that!  :-S

And what exactly do you think will happen if he doesn't?

On 11/07/2021 at 08:43, Eikokurai said:

But only one of those had the privilege of waltzing back in after almost a year out and resuming where he left off. I’d cut the Hakuho subplot from the screenplay. Audience’s won’t buy into it.

Yes, but Terunofuji got the benefit of fighting his way back into shape against far inferior competition.  Hakuho comes back and faces the best of the rest.  Why people continue to complain about the yokozunae taking time off is beyond me.  It's a perk that they earned and it's not going to change.  You can let it bother you for the rest of your life or accept that you're not in position to change it and learn to deal with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Forum favourite Shonanzakura Jonokuchi 24w (22 y.o.) reached an ignominious milestone in Nagoya: 100 straight losses.  That takes some doing, or should I say "not doing"?  

Shonanzakura's stable master, Shikihide, who is known for supporting wrestlers without oodles of promise, gave a gem of a comment to the press: "There are no flowers that don't bloom."

Shikihide may have found a prize bloom at last in Mogamizakura.  It will be interesting to see what he can do with a good 'un for a change. "Inch by inch, row by row..."

• Like 1

And I can't stop thinking about Takayasu defeating both...

This basho Kotoeko has looked like a salary man who's had a tough day and would rather just go to stand bar and have some complimentary soba.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Very true.  But I fear that a zensho yusho will only encourage Hakuho to stay on in September and beyond.  After all, there have already been rumblings to that effect.

As dominant as he still is, why not continue, if his body is willing?

1 hour ago, Yangnomazuma said:

Yes, but Terunofuji got the benefit of fighting his way back into shape against far inferior competition.  Hakuho comes back and faces the best of the rest.  Why people continue to complain about the yokozunae taking time off is beyond me.  It's a perk that they earned and it's not going to change.  You can let it bother you for the rest of your life or accept that you're not in position to change it and learn to deal with it.

The Kyokai itself isn’t exactly a fan of it as their regular comments on Yokozuna who abuse the system tell us, be it Hakuho, Kakuryu or Kisenosato. I‘ll follow their lead.

But I think you may have missed the point of that post anyway. I wasn’t expressing annoyance with Hakuho, per se. I was simply saying it’s not quite as romantic or dramatic as Terunofuji’s return, hence the Hollywood analogy. Hakuho just came back. Terunofuji had a comeback. Which film would you rather watch?

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

As dominant as he still is, why not continue, if his body is willing?

Agreed. Very few pro-athletes retire when they can still perform at a high level. They retire when they can't. If he wins this basho, especially if he beats Terunofuji to do so, he's almost guaranteed to continue in September.  Never underestimate the hunger of the greatest to keep competing and winning.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

Being in ozumo’s really fun

But only twice have I ever won

Natsu 2016 Day 6 yorikiri Jk31w Sawanofuji 0-2 (0-7)1-0

Nagoya 2018 Day 3 koshikudake Jk30e Soga 0-2 (4-3)

Hatsu 2019 Day 9 yoritaosh iJk14w Houn 0-5 (1-6)

Am I missing a clever joke?

26 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I suspected I had that wrong: should have checked.  Fixed it…  :)

43 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I would have assumed it was that koshikudake represents a loss by the opponent requiring him be given the win, not that he actually won.

56 minutes ago, Ichimawashi said:

I suspected I had that wrong: should have checked.  Fixed it…  :)

A rhyme Lewis Carroll used to good effect in The Hunting of the Snark.

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

The Kyokai itself isn’t exactly a fan of it as their regular comments on Yokozuna who abuse the system tell us, be it Hakuho, Kakuryu or Kisenosato. I‘ll follow their lead.

But I think you may have missed the point of that post anyway. I wasn’t expressing annoyance with Hakuho, per se. I was simply saying it’s not quite as romantic or dramatic as Terunofuji’s return, hence the Hollywood analogy. Hakuho just came back. Terunofuji had a comeback. Which film would you rather watch?

Fair enough.  To be more precise, however, I believe it's the YDC that has a problem with it, and they don't really count all that much.  I may have missed the rumblings, but I don't recall the actual Kyokai saying much about it.  As for me, I kind of like both films.  You got Rocky running the stairs in Philly for Terunofuji and an old spaghetti Western - nothing terribly exciting, but familiar and soothing for Hakuho.  Sumo is better off with Hakuho on the dohyo as long as he wants to be there.

• Like 1

I have ben watching to see who has the best bow in Makunouchi .

On day 8 the best bow was Hokitofuji.

The worst was Mitakeumi .

Not only was it the worst on the day,it was the worst I've ever seen.

Was it even a bow?

What is Mitakeumi's problem? 

4 hours ago, Morty said:

Agreed. Very few pro-athletes retire when they can still perform at a high level. They retire when they can't. If he wins this basho, especially if he beats Terunofuji to do so, he's almost guaranteed to continue in September.  Never underestimate the hunger of the greatest to keep competing and winning.

Though in a previous basho thread I pondered the possibility of Hakuho retiring once the next Yokozuna emerges, that was largely based on him not being healthy himself. Given his current form, I think Hakuho may fancy sharing the dohyo with Teronofuji as a Yokozuna at least once.

32 is....

a) the new Ozeki unofficial target now that nobody can seem to get 33 in three
b) how many basho wins Hakuho had when I started watching sumo
c) Shonanzakura losses under his new name so far
d) the number of whacks made by the hyoushi-gi yobidashi following tonight's Juryo dohyo-iri when the shimpan finally arrived

???

....and the answer is....

d) 32 clanks to get everyone's attention.  (You had us at eight.  The rest just seemed like an audition to the expanded percussion section for Le Sacre Du Printemps...)

• Haha 1

Abi Watch:

Today's opponent: Mongolian bruiser, Mitoryu.

Result: 

Spoiler

Abi doesn't try a henka, probably because Mitoryu looked like he was ready for that.  Not much of a fight.  Abi loses yet again!

Looks like it's time to get off the Abi train in the Sumo Games (I got off a while ago)

Yutakayama has a successful return visit to Makuuchi after suffering his only loss on the last one on day 3. He's in sole lead in the Juryo yusho race and setting himself up nicely from J1e for a big promotion.

Ouch. Awkward end to the Kaisei-Kagayaki bout. Not only did Kagayaki lose, but he had to suffer Kaisei landing on and rolling over his face. That's a lot of man to have on your head.

Edited by Eikokurai