Kintamayama

Nagoya Basho 2021

Tobizaru must really have been watching the Enho-Hakuho bout from the Fuji cup for inspiration. That's the most standing around and lollygagging I've ever seen in a sumo bout, but it was dramatic alright.

18 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

What the heck was that?

That was young Tobizaru ensuing he will never be forgotten by sumo fans who lived to witness his bout with Hakuho on Day 7 of the 2021 Nagoya tournament. 

Edited by since_94
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Meanwhile, Shodai looks dead on his feet to me. No spirit at all. At least Tobi was trying to find a solution to the question "What the hell can I do to get past this guy?".

10 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

What I was trying to say is he will have to start anew.

He can still make 10-11 wins which would carry a run over to next basho.

Edited by Eikokurai

If they stand up and do nothing once, it's a matta.  If they do it again, it's on.  That makes a lot of sense to someone.  No idea who though.

Tobizaru attempting to create a new kimarite: ghandikiri, win by non-violence!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I genuinely enjoyed seeing Hakuho just stand back being all '...the heck is this?!'

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:
11 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

10 wins will just land him in the same spot though - needing 13 wins (and probably a yusho) to actually get promoted. I don't see the board bending over backwards to be any more lenient with him given that he's a past ozeki and hasn't come remotely close to making the same sort of emphatic case Terunofuji has for repromotion. More likely he inches upwards and gets a run of 11-11-12 with a yusho honour somewhere to get repromoted, than come alive with a 13-2Y to dramatically earn repromotion.

6 minutes ago, Ichimawashi said:

Tobizaru attempting to create a new kimarite: ghandikiri, win by non-violence!

He frankly just looked daft, scared of Hakuho, and with no idea how to do his own sumo, settling for trying to delay the inevitable mawashi grip. He had better not try the same nonsense against Terunofuji. 

Imagine, for a moment, having to take on the greatest sumotori of all time, from a standing start. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

10 wins will just land him in the same spot though - needing 13 wins (and probably a yusho) to actually get promoted. I don't see the board bending over backwards to be any more lenient with him given that he's a past ozeki and hasn't come remotely close to making the same sort of emphatic case Terunofuji has for repromotion. More likely he inches upwards and gets a run of 11-11-12 with a yusho honour somewhere to get repromoted, than come alive with a 13-2Y to dramatically earn repromotion.

Sure, but being in the same spot is still being in a position to get promoted, not back to square one.

9 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:
16 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:
22 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

His case might depend on how badly they need a (sort of) new ozeki. With four ozeki on the banzuke you would think the rank was looking healthy, but Asanoyma is moving down, Teru looks like moving up, TKK is injured and will be kadoban for Aki, and Shodai... well let's be very kind and describe his form as "unconvincing". The point being that by November we could be all out of ozeki... and you really should have at least two. If it looks like going that way I wouldn't be surprised to see the bar lowered.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Tobizaru must really have been watching the Enho-Hakuho bout from the Fuji cup for inspiration. That's the most standing around and lollygagging I've ever seen in a sumo bout, but it was dramatic alright.

That Enho victory over Hakuho in an exhibition bout may well have been Tobizaru's inspiration as to how to beat Hakuho.

However, the flaw in that plan is that Hakuho fights against the likes of Enho and Ishiura all the time in keiko practice.  Hakuho is used to those tactics and knows exactly how to deal with them.  It just means biding his time until he can get a lethal mawashi grip!  Let your opponent come to you.  Don't try and charge against feisty opponents.  They'll use your forward momentum against you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tigerboy1966 said:
20 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:
26 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:
33 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

His case might depend on how badly they need a (sort of) new ozeki. With four ozeki on the banzuke you would think the rank was looking healthy, but Asanoyma is moving down, Teru looks like moving up, TKK is injured and will be kadoban for Aki, and Shodai... well let's be very kind and describe his form as "unconvincing". The point being that by November we could be all out of ozeki... and you really should have at least two. If it looks like going that way I wouldn't be surprised to see the bar lowered.

Out of ozeki is one thing, but I think the greater danger is they don't want to be in a situation where we finally find out what happens with less than 2 yokozuna and ozeki combined on the banzuke. In that situation you highlight, we have only Terunofuji as YO. 

For anyone wondering what people are talking about

Reminds me a bit of when Hak stopped and offered Takakeisho a butsukari session in the middle of a match a few years ago

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If I had to make a video featuring the top 10 weirdest matches of all time, this would certainly be there. They stopped not once, but twice! 

I get that Tobizaru was trying to be strategic, but with this likely being his one and only chance to go up against the GOAT in the last match of the day, I can't help but think he wasted an opportunity to borrow Hakuho's chest and attempt to win in a more conventional manner. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

Finally an interesting day of sumo. The Woman's presence has restored order. 

Ironically, maybe she's the physical embodiment of the spirit of sumo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only on very rare occasions are we treated to Shokkiri during a tournament. Thank you Tobizaru!  (Thirdprize...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If I was Hakuho, I wouldn't even be mad. I'd just feel like "damn, I still go it!" to make someone completely shut down mentally like that from presence alone.

Odd as it may be, that was the first time in a while where I really felt like that dominant era Hakuho was still around.

Edited by yohcun

That new guy Hakuho was obviously a bit scared of Tobizaru. He didn’t try to initiate re-engagement after the split and he was trying to keep Tobizaru off the belt at the start after a tepid tachiai. I don’t see much in his future, tbh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Tobizaru totally should have dived at the GOAT’S ankles. That’s what I would have done.

1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

Reminds me a bit of when Hak stopped and offered Takakeisho a butsukari session in the middle of a match a few years ago

At least even with that one, one felt like Takakeisho was trying his best but just got outclassed, and Hakuho had the kindness to win going forward in Takakeisho's style. Hakuho v Tobizaru was just - "stop wasting my time and die, punk" - UWATENAGE!!!!!

Edited by Seiyashi

On 09/07/2021 at 17:38, Amamaniac said:

Finally able to watch a live stream (i.e., Abema TV) and was treated to Gagamaru as the guest commentator.  He was a breathless breath of fresh air!  He is known for being talkative, not to mention fluent in Japanese.  I just found his voice to be very calming and there was never a moment of dead air time with him.

It was nice to see that he has managed to drop a significant amount of weight.  And he showed up super casual: (1) jeans, (2) short-sleeved shirt, (3) non-flashy watch, and (4) hair in a bun rather than a mage.  

Overall, he gave me a California surfer vibe!  He is such a happy and positive person.  Despite the fact that he was wearing a mask, I couldn't help but feel that the pandemic was over and that things were back to normal.  I thank him for that.

To necro something from yesterday, this is how Gaga looks now (tweet courtesy of Abema). The tweet also mentions that he has gone from 220kg to 155kg with a successful diet.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5