Kintamayama

YDC convenes after Natsu 2021

Recommended Posts

The YDC decided to see how Hakuhou will do in July and based on that, will decide what they decide.  "We are hopeful. We want him to appear and gambarize.  We want him to  truly become the wall! " said Chairman Yano. All present praised Terunofuji. "If he can rack up splendid wins next basho the road will be open, I reckon," said the Chairman, regarding Terunofuji's Yokozuna promotion chances.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Yano on Asanoyama: "In all honesty, I was very disappointed. He is the closest to being the next Yokozuna rank-wise. His rash actions show he is lacking in self-awareness. "

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

He is the closest to being the next Yokozuna rank-wise.

If he just means because Ozeki is one rank below Yokozuna, yes, but Terunofuji and Takakeisho might question Asanoyama’s place in the queue to literally be the next one!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

If he just means because Ozeki is one rank below Yokozuna, yes, but Terunofuji and Takakeisho might question Asanoyama’s place in the queue to literally be the next one!

I'd assume it's because on this banzuke in particular he was O1e.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

The YDC decided to see how Hakuhou will do in July and based on that, will decide what they decide.  "We are hopeful. We want him to appear and gambarize.  We want him to  truly become the wall! " said Chairman Yano. All present praised Terunofuji. "If he can rack up splendid wins next basho the road will be open, I reckon," said the Chairman, regarding Terunofuji's Yokozuna promotion chances.

No mention at all of Takakeisho, then?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Mr. Yano on Asanoyama: "In all honesty, I was very disappointed. He is the closest to being the next Yokozuna rank-wise. His rash actions show he is lacking in self-awareness. "

I was under the impression aminishiki's snake ... um, err, aminishi THE snake was going to be the next yokozuna...

Word is he even changed his shikona to hebisekiryu (the snake that is) in preparation for the advancement...

 

(sorry, I'm stuck in a hotel and reallllyyy bored)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Godango said:

I'd assume it's because on this banzuke in particular he was O1e.

Yeah that’s probably it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Yeah that’s probably it.

Yes, that's what he meant and said, "rank-wise"being the key here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Godango said:
18 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

The YDC decided to see how Hakuhou will do in July and based on that, will decide what they decide.  "We are hopeful. We want him to appear and gambarize.  We want him to  truly become the wall! " said Chairman Yano. All present praised Terunofuji. "If he can rack up splendid wins next basho the road will be open, I reckon," said the Chairman, regarding Terunofuji's Yokozuna promotion chances.

No mention at all of Takakeisho, then?

Sort of matches our gut feel that he'll need to do something spectacular to even force discussion of it, given how we generally agree 12-3D isn't a particularly impressive result in the scheme of things for a tsunatori.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a spurious and unresearched feeling that the only way both T-ozeki both make yokozuna is if they both are 14-1 and there is a playoff. 

Edited by Churaumi
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

I have a spurious and unresearched feeling that the only way both T-ozeki both make yokozuna is if one is 15-0 and the other is also 15-0, losing the playoff.

Which is impossible as they’ll face each other in regulation bouts. One of them has to lose.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's never happened, despite some opportunities with same-heya high-rankers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Which is impossible as they’ll face each other in regulation bouts. One of them has to lose.

Uhh...yeah. off to fix that. I said it was spurious, just didn't know how much.

Edited by Churaumi
Pobody's nerfect! No regerts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Which is impossible as they’ll face each other in regulation bouts. One of them has to lose.

Not impossible, if, say, Terunofuji only loses to Takakeisho and Takakeisho only loses to some random person lower down the banzuke, then they can have a 14-1 playoff

there have been many 14-1 playoffs between those who have faced in regulation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sahaven111 said:

Not impossible, if, say, Terunofuji only loses to Takakeisho and Takakeisho only loses to some random person lower down the banzuke, then they can have a 14-1 playoff

there have been many 14-1 playoffs between those who have faced in regulation!

Forget that, i hadn't noticed what Eikokurai was actually replying too.. (Thinkingindepth...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1289988276-min.jpg

15 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I can always see when the elders are in session from my office window:

https://ibb.co/sQZxjp8

(Sorry, it won't let me embed the photo, only add the URL.)

If you look at the "Embed" tab on the page you were linking to, notice the various code snippets. Just copy out the address within the "img" tags and use them through "Insert other media"/"Insert image from url" at the bottom right of the text box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/05/2021 at 16:28, Kintamayama said:

He is the closest to being the next Yokozuna rank-wise. His rash actions show he is lacking in self-awareness. "

I'm still counting on Ura!

And, the pink mawashi is returning to the top division next basho...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/05/2021 at 03:34, sahaven111 said:

here have been many 14-1 playoffs between those who have faced in regulation!

I can think of only two ways that a 14-1 pair would not meet in regulation. The first is that they are from the same stable which happened with Takanohana and Takanonami in 1996 and 1997. The other is that they are so widely separated that there is no natural match-up. According to the database this happened in 1956 (Y Kagamisato M10 vs Tsurugamine M10) and in 2010 (Y Hakuho vs M9 Toyonoshima). We had a near miss in 2019 when Ichinojo went 14-1 but was never matched against Hakuho who went 15-0. That was a really odd one as Ichi was at M4 and would have been a perfectly acceptable opponent for a yokozuna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

That was a really odd one as Ichi was at M4 and would have been a perfectly acceptable opponent for a yokozuna.

Not that odd. I’m going over old ground a bit here from previous posts, so forgive my repetition, but as Hakuho was the yusho leader, his rank privilege came into play there. The senior rikishi, esp Y/O, often gets to avoid having to face and potentially lose to a junior-ranked pursuer and surrender the advantage in the race. Correspondingly, as the junior, Ichinojo was denied the chance to put the yusho race in his own hands by beating Hakuho. He had to rely on help from elsewhere—help which never came. If the situation was reversed and Ichinojo led Hakuho, Hakuho would have been given the opportunity to defeat Ichinojo and move level with him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/05/2021 at 00:28, Kintamayama said:

Mr. Yano on Asanoyama: "In all honesty, I was very disappointed. He is the closest to being the next Yokozuna rank-wise. His rash actions show he is lacking in self-awareness. "

At least this doesn't sound to me, as if they wanted Asanoyama out of sumo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Benihana said:

At least this doesn't sound to me, as if they wanted Asanoyama out of sumo.

YDC don't usually interfere in non- Yokozuna rikishi's plights. I mean they air their views, but it usually stops at that. They are not asked their opinion.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now