Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

Takaryu intai

Former Juryo Takaryu has announced his retirement after a seven-year career. He made a rapid ascent through the lower divisions and made his Juryo debut in the 2015 Nagoya basho, but that turned out to be his only basho as a sekitori.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've never really been a fan of the guy, ever since this (video linked, not embedded, because it contains an injury so gruesome the shinpan visibly recoil).

It's not the injury itself, that's part of sumo, but the fact he doesn't even give Asatenmai a second glance afterwards.

That said, I do kinda wonder where it went wrong with Takaryu after such a quick ascension. If he plummeted due to injury, I could understand, but it seems like he just trickled further and further down.

Edited by yohcun

Sounds odd, but I'll remember him most for his legs, which always looked like they were about to give out.

Only 7 basho to make juryo, but then never promoted above Ms10 after his ,lone sekitori tournament....

He did at least become a sekitori though, and had an accomplished amateur career, winning national titles in high school and college.

Good luck to him

Edited by Katooshu

On 24/05/2021 at 07:01, yohcun said:

I've never really been a fan of the guy, ever since this (video linked, not embedded, because it contains an injury so gruesome the shinpan visibly recoil).

It's not the injury itself, that's part of sumo, but the fact he doesn't even give Asatenmai a second glance afterwards.

That said, I do kinda wonder where it went wrong with Takaryu after such a quick ascension. If he plummeted due to injury, I could understand, but it seems like he just trickled further and further down.

What surprised me the most was that he got there in the first place. The performance afterwards is more what I would expect from someone with his body and skills.  

Takaryu's danpatsu-shiki took place last week in the sumo hall at the Ishikawa Prefectural Budokan, in his home city of Kanazawa. There were 70 people in attendance, including a representative of his koenkai and his former coach at Seinanbu Junior High School, which he attended before going on to Kanazawa Gakuin High School and then Takushoku University.

Kg2nR9Jj_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, I recall that he had lost some weight leading up to his retirement; since that sometimes happens with rikishi on their way out I half expected him to have dropped a bit more by now. He must still be on the chanko.

Edit: trying to identify the rikishi behind him in that photo, anyone know?

Edited by rokudenashi

Going by forehead size, and eyelid and eyebrow shape, my guess would be Shokeima (did he wax his brows in his most recent photo?)

Shokeima.jpg

Edited by Katooshu

2 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Going by forehead size, and eyelid and eyebrow shape, my guess would be Shokeima (did he wax his brows in his most recent photo?)

Shokeima.jpg

That's my guess, too.  80% of the rikishi in the heya can be xed out right away, leaving about 4 possibilites; he's my top guess (assuming it's not someone outsider the heya!)

Whoever it is seems to be doing the gyoji's duty?