Posted (edited)

Ever since he made it to Makuuchi and for the last 45 bashos,, Endou's tsukebito is Daishouryuu, Sandanme 67 west. He always trained with him before the bouts, checking out his tachiai and the tactics for the next day's bout. Daishouryuu has decided to retire. The usually emotionless Endou was seen being quite emotional. Daishouryuu ended his career yesterday, going 0-7. "I wanted to beat the Ozeki any way I could today. I think whoever should know, knows why.."  said Endou in an interview after the bout. After his bout today, he walked up the hanamichi with his 24 kensho envelopes that he won after beating Takakeishou, worth 1,308,000 yen (approximately $13000) and handed them over to his faithful tsukebito. Very nice gesture.

Endou  has back to back Ozeki opponents on day 13 and 14. He is ranked M8. This is unheard of. This doesn't happen often. Additionally, there has never been a case where a leader who had a two win buffer going into day 14 did not end up with the yusho. "Will there be a miracle?' asks the reporter. "No," answered the retorter.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Endou  has back to back Ozeki opponents on day 13 and 14. He is ranked M8. This is unheard of.

Really? Most striking of many precedents is Kotomitsuki.

Just now, Jakusotsu said:

OK, unheard of usually-two people over the years is unheard of in my circles.. I didn’t say never happened. OK, I admit it- I lied. 3 basho suspension? And 2 more for the lie?

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

OK, I admit it- I lied. 3 basho suspension? And 2 more for the lie? 

Rejected. Lie all you want, we won't let you slack off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Rejected. Lie all you want, we won't let you slack off!

In every one of my posts and videos, there are at least three errors. I usually catch on to them before too many people notice, but it’s not unheard of that someone catches them before me..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Haha 6

If you only ever read about it, it's, technically, unheard of for you, isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

36 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

OK, unheard of usually-two people over the years is unheard of in my circles.. I didn’t say never happened. OK, I admit it- I lied. 3 basho suspension? And 2 more for the lie?

Kotomitsuki was M9, not M8, so don't think Kinta was lying

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Wow, hell of a way to end what was essentially a makuuchi debut. I had never heard of this, in any case...

A good story papers over a lot of errors. Thanks @Kintamayama

4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

It seems apt to bring up Kotomitsuki at a time when another Ozeki is facing disgrace. Kotomitsuki was another great hope who had a sudden shameful downfall, albeit at a later stage in his career admittedly.

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Endou  has back to back Ozeki opponents on day 13 and 14. He is ranked M8. This is unheard of.

Really? Most striking of many precedents is Kotomitsuki.

Another more recent precedent is Ichinojo at Aki 2014, where he was ranked M10 and on days 11 and 12 faced ozeki, followed by facing yokozuna on days 13 and 14 - and that was Ichinojo's first basho in makuuchi too. Quite the performance.

Posted (edited)

To be fair, in both the Kotomitsuki and Ichinojo examples those were guys leading the yusho race being thrown to the wolves to either be knocked out of contention or survive and deserve the title, not simply mid-ranking maegashira with decent records like Endo this time around. Quite different contexts. Endo is two wins behind the leader. 

Edited by Eikokurai

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

To be fair, in both the Kotomitsuki and Ichinojo examples those were guys leading the yusho race being thrown to the wolves to either be knocked out of contention or survive and deserve the title, not simply mid-ranking maegashira with decent records like Endo this time around. Quite different contexts. Endo is two wins behind the leader. 

Yes, exactly. Why didn’t I think of that.. I should be exonerated immediately!

• Like 1

Endo just picked up a few more kensho for Daishouryuu's retirement fund. 

• Haha 3

The retirement of a tsukebito motivated him to beat 2 top ozeki. Wonder how many tsukebito retirements he'd need to become an ozeki himself (Sigh...)

• Like 5

On 22/05/2021 at 05:05, ScreechingOwl said:
  5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Really? Most striking of many precedents is Kotomitsuki.

Yes, I was made aware of that in the second post of this thread..

Can I just say I love the 'Endou' - 'End of' pun?

3 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

Can I just say I love the 'Endou' - 'End of' pun?

I felt it was too easy..

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I felt it was too easy..

Since you are the Dean of Sumo Forum comedy, I'd like to pick your brain.  Should the next song reference be The Traveling Wilbury's "Endou the Line", or Boys 2 Men's "Endou the Road?"

4 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Since you are the Dean of Sumo Forum comedy, I'd like to pick your brain.  Should the next song reference be The Traveling Wilbury's "Endou the Line", or Boys 2 Men's "Endou the Road?"

Both aren't exactly top-tier world-wide hits. We must find something more famous..

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Both aren't exactly top-tier world-wide hits. We must find something more famous..

• Like 2

This song, "The End of the World" by Skeeter Davis was a huge hit in the US in 1962 and made it big in UK as well.  I can't say it was a worldwide hit but it's a memorable song with great lyrics. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had a go with the google machine.

I had not heard of this song, but it features two famous stars, so perhaps it might count?

Plus, 'Until Endo time' makes sense, in a way!

Edited by Jejima