Harumph!  May I just point out that the Traveling Wilburys included Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, and international British guys Jeff Lynne and George Harrison?

Also, End of the Road by Boyz II Men was the biggest selling record in the US for 1992, reached the Top 10 in such obscure countries as Germany , Sweden and Belgium.

(Racists!)

Now, if you want an obscure song,

(Sorry to poach on the World Music thread)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

"End of the Line" was not even a mediocre hit anywhere, greatness of the band and its members notwithstanding. Boys to Men? I guess in our primitive backyard, we never got to hear that song, but if it was a great hit in Germany, Belgium and Sweden as well as in the USA, I bow to that and respectfully admit i was half wrong. Now, if you mentioned, say this song- THIS was a world wide schlagger..  Not sure if many of you were born back there, but I can't take all responsibilities for everyhting.

Edited by Kintamayama

51 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

"End of the Line" was not even a mediocre hit anywhere, greatness of the band and its members notwithstanding. 

In the US, peaked at #2 on album rock charts and #63 on Hot 100.  I'd say that's at least a mediocre hit.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_the_Line_(Traveling_Wilburys_song)

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

"End of the Line" was not even a mediocre hit anywhere, greatness of the band and its members notwithstanding. Boys to Men? I guess in our primitive backyard, we never got to hear that song, but if it was a great hit in Germany, Belgium and Sweden as well as in the USA, I bow to that and respectfully admit i was half wrong. Now, if you mentioned, say this song- THIS was a world wide schlagger..  Not sure if many of you were born back there, but I can't take all responsibilities for everyhting.

Strangely, I remember the Brenda Lee version, but it's hardly mentioned on Wikipedia.  EOTL was only a modest hit in the US, partly due to the sort of label support only a musician would appreciate -- most people hearing the song didn't know who the band members were.  Extra trivia: this was Roy Orbison's last recording; in the video,  his guitar is rocking away during his vocal.

Wasn't Endo at one point the "next japanese Ozeki hope"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Strangely, I remember the Brenda Lee version, but it's hardly mentioned on Wikipedia.  EOTL was only a modest hit in the US, partly due to the sort of label support only a musician would appreciate -- most people hearing the song didn't know who the band members were.  Extra trivia: this was Roy Orbison's last recording; in the video,  his guitar is rocking away during his vocal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_the_World_(Skeeter_Davis_song)  Much more successful than End of the Line, which never got past the US. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gurowake said:

In the US, peaked at #2 on album rock charts and #63 on Hot 100.  I'd say that's at least a mediocre hit.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_the_Line_(Traveling_Wilburys_song)

In the US, being the main factor. OK, not that mediocre, but not a gigantic hit either.

Edited by Kintamayama

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_the_World_(Skeeter_Davis_song)  Much more successful than End of the Line, which never got past the US. 

Yeah, got it, read it 7 hours ago.  I remember it from the 1960's, just remember Brenda Lee's version more -- perhaps because it gets more airplay, I dunno.  Why don't people remember the marvelous version of "Angel of the Morning" by Merilee Rush in 1968, instead of the cover by someone called Juice Newton?  Airplay, I guess.

Anyway, sorry to get this thread off-track.

REM also had a hit song ‘Endo the world as we know it (and I feel fine)’.

Just want to mention here that the typical Japanese pronunciation of the English word "end", is "endo" (very shoooorrrt o) :-D