Sign in to follow this  
yohcun

Masunoyama intai

Announced via twitter

Former maegashira had been battling it out in the lower divisions for a while despite some very serious chronic injuries. Otsukaresama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I assume given the lack of reference in the tweet that he's not taking up a kabu?

Edited by Seiyashi

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

Masunoyama's intai was announced on today's broadcast. 

There’s an episode in The Newsroom where a character has to pretend she misheard the Japanese word for ‘four’ for ‘seven’. You think that’s what’s happening here? They’re trying to save Asanoyama by making Masunoyama retire and telling us it was actually he who was out partying and the newspaper just got the names mixed up.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

He didn’t bounce very high, did he? I thought he’d bounce much higher from that height. Not really a Yokozuna look...

Oops. Posted this in the wrong thread. Should be obvious where it belongs as is a Day 13 post.

Edited by since_94
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I assume given the lack of reference in the tweet that he's not taking up a kabu?

He comes up slightly short of the requirements by my count. 13 Basho in makuuchi, 25 as a sekitori.

Edited by yohcun
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

There’s an episode in The Newsroom where a character has to pretend she misheard the Japanese word for ‘four’ for ‘seven’. You think that’s what’s happening here? They’re trying to save Asanoyama by making Masunoyama retire and telling us it was actually he who was out partying and the newspaper just got the names mixed up.

The old bait and switch, eh?

I've always wondered what happened to Masunoyama.  When he was up in the Top Division, the talk was always that he only had one lung, and hence was only able to fight well in short bouts.  Short or long bouts, he was always severely out of breath after fighting.  I sincerely believe that he would be the last person out "partying", what with the cigarette smoke and ... COVID!

Apparently neither could resist a "noyama" night out. 

• Haha 1

Sad. I remember I started watching sumo when he started his comeback in jonokuchi so i've been watching him closely since. was hoping he would some day make it back to sekitori, but alas it was not to be.

It was sometimes painful to watch him gasping for air after his bouts. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

The Newsroom

Totally underrated, that show. A must see for everyone and if just to learn, how good journalism should work.

Edited by Benihana