pricklypomegranate

Asahiyama-beya Power Harassment

Posted (edited)

Terunofuji hansoku... rumours of Asanoyama flouting COVID rules. Can the day get any worse? 

Yes, apparently it can. The article is from a more reputable source (FRIDAY) than in the Asanoyama controversy, but I wouldn't exactly call it Sansports credible. Tell me your thoughts. I will translate: 

A report of "intense power harrassment" by the okami-san. A surprising move by the stablemaster in the midst of the crisis of its existence 

Asahiyama-beya's okami-san has been facing allegations of power harassment. The stable is know to have taken in the beloved dog of the late Ken Shimura. There have been rikishi who have quit because they can't stand the power harassment. 

[...] According to the magazine, the okami-san "instructed" her apprentices by sending the following messages: 

"You can't cook, can't clean or practice properly. You are stupid and say there's nothing you can do. Are you kidding me?" 

"You guys really are a joke, aren't you? You are all so weak and all you do is argue. You really don't change, no matter how many times I tell you. You are beyond stupid." 

"Whenever they make a mistake, she curses, "You idiot!" or "Are you stupid?" They are especially strict with disciples they don't like. There are several rikishi who quit within a short period of time because they could not stand the power harassment. Because of this, the ranks of the rikishi belong to the heya don't rise very high. Currently, the highest ranked is in sandanme." said a Sumo Association official. 

As reported by the Shukan Shincho (a reputable source?) there was a big scandal that caused a stir befor the okamisan and stablemaster got married. Asashiyama-oyakata was rumoured to have an affair just before the March 1991 basho - he was still an active rikishi at the time. However, he denied the relationship even though he was attached to the current okamisan, who worked part-time at his favourite coffeeshop. He said, "I'm going to break off our engagement and marry another college girl. I like both of them." In response to his unashamed attitude, the sports newspaper based him as a "suspected bigamist". The Kyokai took the situation very seriously and suspended his stablemaster. After discussing the matter with his lawyer, Asahiyama-oyakata broke up with the college student and married the landlady. 

Since then, the oyakata has not been able to keep his head above water with the landlady. He is theoretically a polite and sensible person. Evern when the okamisan is giving him too much guidance, he defends her, saying, "It's not her fault." His disciples are fed up with it. 

If the rikishi is afraid of the okamisan, there is no way the stable can be managed well. In order to attract apprentices, the stable is not as powerful because it has no special connections. So the master has come up with a surprising scouting technique. 

"It's called harikomi. Whenver I have time, I go to the nearest train station and observe the young people passing by. If I see a boy with a good physique, I ask him, "Do you play any sports?" If I find out that they are big and not athletic, I immediately gave up." 

He once scouted a large young man who happened to be sitting near him at a table in a yakiniku restaurant. He once approached a group of guys who looked a little bad handing out in front of a convenience store at night. "Are you working? If you're just hanging out, why don't you come to my stable?" He's doing his best to gather disciples. 

Ths husband is a bit indecisive but serious, and the wife is strong-minded. As a couple, they may be a surprisingly good match. However, the disiples who are being pushed around might not be too happy about it... 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Shibatayama must be having a hell of a day. What with this and Asanoyama's potential indiscretion, another rag (much less credible) accusing Ryuden of having an extramarital affair, it's almost like he pissed off the tabloids or something and they're giving him work in return.

Thanks very much for the translation by the way; out of likes/thanks but have one in spirit.

Edited by Seiyashi

Thanks for your effort translating, but I fail to see a story there, much less a scandal.

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

Thanks for your effort translating, but I fail to see a story there, much less a scandal.

My opinion as well. Much ado about nothing. Save your attention for the Ryuden scandal(s). 

Some joining of the dots, but it's speculated by Tachiai.org that Kirameki was one of those who quit for this reason. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

She better not be verbally abusing the dog too. That'll be unforgivable.

21 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

If the rikishi is afraid of the okamisan, there is no way the stable can be managed well. In order to attract apprentices, the stable is not as powerful because it has no special connections. So the master has come up with a surprising scouting technique. 

"It's called harikomi. Whenver I have time, I go to the nearest train station and observe the young people passing by. If I see a boy with a good physique, I ask him, "Do you play any sports?" If I find out that they are big and not athletic, I immediately gave up." 

He once scouted a large young man who happened to be sitting near him at a table in a yakiniku restaurant. He once approached a group of guys who looked a little bad handing out in front of a convenience store at night. "Are you working? If you're just hanging out, why don't you come to my stable?" He's doing his best to gather disciples. 

Wow. Whatever the problems are here, it's not down to apathy on the oyakata's part. The man is really trying.

Edited by yohcun