Seiyashi

Asanoyama caught violating COVID restrictions

Funny thing is, he may find himself ranked lower than he was when he entered sumo. Papers are saying he will drop to Sandanme, so..

Whoever wrote that will be executed at dawn. My apologies.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm wondering about how hard it will be for him to maintain his skills and sumo sense during this long absence he's faced with. Sure he'll keep physically training, but he's going to miss out on a lot of practice actually competing with the best in the sport. And with COVID-19 I guess there's not much (or any?) inter-stable keiko going on.

Just now, dada78641 said:

I'm wondering about how hard it will be for him to maintain his skills and sumo sense during this long absence he's faced with. Sure he'll keep physically training, but he's going to miss out on a lot of practice actually competing with the best in the sport. And with COVID-19 I guess there's not much (or any?) inter-stable keiko going on.

If Abi's any indication, enough will remain to clean house in the lower divisions and at least get back to juryo.

17 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Funny thing is, he may find himself ranked lower than he was when he entered sumo. Papers are saying he will drop to Sandanme, so..

He entered at Sandanme.

"I hope he understands the severity of this punishment and will now concentrate on his life and on returning to the dohyo. At his lofty rank, he should have been setting an example. He lied to us. That was the worst thing. He was very serious today at the meeting and apologized to everyone for causing trouble for the Kyokai. He seemed to be ready for the worst. " said Oguruma Oyakata. "The lie was the worst," added Hakkaku rijicho. "He can't change what he did. He needs to immerse himself in sumo, and hopefully will be back and be an even better Ozeki than he is now. In any case he should shed his worldly thoughts and face the dohyo wholeheartedly. If he does, I think the fans he betrayed will support him again, " summed Oguruma Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

He entered at Sandanme.

Yes.. darn it..

Just now, Kintamayama said:
9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

He entered at Sandanme.

Sandanme 100 tsukedashi. By  the reporters' calculations, he will be ranked lower than that. ANY sandanme rank is lower than that.

Isn't Sd100TD the very bottom of the division? I estimate he lands >Sd50 in the worst case scenario. So it's almost back to his second or third basho, but he won't be lower than he has been previously.

Just now, Seiyashi said:

Isn't Sd100TD the very bottom of the division? I estimate he lands >Sd50 in the worst case scenario. So it's almost back to his second or third basho, but he won't be lower than he has been previously.

Yes, yes, I'm sorry.. I need a good demotion as well.

26 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

"At his lofty rank, he should have been setting an example. He lied to us. That was the worst thing" said Oguruma Oyakata.

"The lie was the worst," added Hakkaku rijicho. 

Yup, and that's why I thought he was toast. He can count himself rather fortunate to still have a chance at a comeback. At his age he should be able to clean up in the lower divisions and at least make it back to makuuchi. 

Edited by ryafuji
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

There apparently used to be another punishment - name strikeout (jomei) - that was removed after the NSK became a public interest corporation. Context doesn't really say much of what this is; any old timers recall cases where this was used?

Jomei meant excommunication - a complete ban from ozumo, persona non grata. No turning up at senshuraku parties, no dropping by the heya to watch asageiko, no turning up with a ticket at the booth. Worse still, no severance pay. However, imposing it was difficult as it required a certain threshold to be reached in a vote of the hyogiin-kai. I can't remember what it was now, two-thirds plus one perhaps? Anyway, it was the only one to require that level of agreement, all other disciplinary actions could be implemented by the rijikai.

As far as I know, jomei was never used in the modern era and the other measures seem to be more than sufficient. The move to a public interest corporation changed the composition and voting rights of the hyogiin-kai, tate gyoji and top-ranking rikishi were out, external auditors came in but with no vote and so on. The fine details of that are lost on me I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Asanoyama's companion was a Sponichi reporter, who was sacked yesterday by the paper. He was the one who convinced Asanoyama to go out with him a few times, and when caught, attempted to collaborate with Asanoyama in lying. His direct boss received a salary cut, as he was deemed responsible for his reporter's actions. The President and the managing director of the paper were hit with 20% salary cuts for one month as well. The managing editor of the Tokyo branch was fined 30% of his salary as well. "The actions of our former reporter not only violates reporting ethics but violates the virus guidelines as well. He is older than Asanoyama and as such should have conducted himself responsibly but did the opposite, much to our chagrin," said a report on the paper's homepage. "We probably did not do enough to educate our workers on how to behave during the virus crisis and we intend to fix that. We deeply regret the bother we caused the Kyokai and all sumo fans, who may have lost their trust in us. We will strive to see to it that this sort of thing never happens again," said the homepage. 

Wow, this is really interesting.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Asanoyama went out 10 times between March and May and three times between November and January. On the day he was caught, he had a fake appointment for treatment which he was allowed to have. He was also guilty of deleting all cellphone correspondence with his reporter friend who accompanied him to these places. He lied at first, then told the truth, then sent in his retirement papers via his Oyakata on May 21st. The compliance committee were convinced his repentance was real and deep so their decision of a 6 month suspension and six basho salary cut of 50% were final. As for the intai, Hakkaku is holding the papers.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

6 month suspension

6 months? 

Time for bed, mate. :-P

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Yes, yes, I'm sorry.. I need a good demotion as well.

Awww, don't beat yourself up. It's been a mighty tough year.

15 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

6 months? 

Didn't you hear? They're so desperate to get their young Japanese hope back in action that they've switched to a one basho per month system. 

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

If Abi's any indication, enough will remain to clean house in the lower divisions and at least get back to juryo.

Scant question. Everyone he gets in the banzuke will hang their head and pout, at least up to juryo.

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

6 months? 

Thanks for being patient. Still a few hours till bedtime. It's still 4 pm, 8 pm is a few hours away.

48 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Scant question. Everyone he gets in the banzuke will hang their head and pout, at least up to juryo.

I'm not sure about that. We shall see. I still say Abi was the anomaly. We'll see how Ryuuden and Asanoyama do. 

52 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Didn't you hear? They're so desperate to get their young Japanese hope back in action that they've switched to a one basho per month system. 

And thank you too, for your patience. A guy makes 22 mistakes in three posts and already the vultures circle..

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

And thank you too, for your patience. A guy makes 22 mistakes in three posts and already the vultures circle..

Hope I didn't come across as being critical of you with that gag; I really appreciate your news-gathering. 

2 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Hope I didn't come across as being critical of you with that gag; I really appreciate your news-gathering. 

I think my response was dumb enough to show I don't get offended by the truth.

10 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I think my response was dumb enough to show I don't get offended by the truth.

The sarcasm factor is high enough on SF that the easily offended are culled early...

I should never post after a three hour gig in the sun at high noon when it's 35 C outside..

Snapshot_35.jpg.b49468da7891059376dab8cfa7359aef.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Pardon me (again!) for a stupid question, but how is he going to be docked half his pay?  Do they mean that when he falls to Makushita he'll receive half of nothing?

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Pardon me (again!) for a stupid question, but how is he going to be docked half his pay?  Do they mean that when he falls to Makushita he'll receive half of nothing?

I would assume he will receive half of whatever pay is due to him at the rank he holds at the time. So yes, he'll get half of nothing which is as good as doubling it so it's practically a raise.

Edited by Rocks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4