Athenayama

Provocative eye contact

Unless my brain tricks me, I remember times when riskishi often had long provocative eye contacts before a bout, defying their opponent. I had fun with that, it made the coming up bout even more exciting. I don't have any specific examples of rikishi in my mind right now but there where several using that "trick".

It seems that this happens extremely rarely anymore so I'm wondering. Was it some kind of "fashion" those days that has passed? Has there been any "instructions" not to do it anymore for some reason?

And what is your view about it? Did you like it or not when it happened? Also if you have specific footage of some bout with such "provocative" eye contact, feel free to post it here. I know there are a lot, I just can't remember any specific. 

I think it tends to only happen in key bouts like playoffs or when two rivals face off. You don’t see it much when two mid-ranking hiramaku meet on day three, but two Ozeki or Yokozuna in the final weekend when both have a shot at the yusho? Maybe. It was definitely a thing among Hakuho, Harumafuji and Kakuryu. Asashoryu used to do it a lot too. Intense rivalries and high pressure situations are when it comes out.

8 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

It was definitely a thing among Hakuho, Harumafuji and Kakuryu. Asashoryu used to do it a lot too. Intense rivalries and high pressure situations are when it comes out.

I'm thinking that it's actually a bit of the reverse; it's rikishi who have the will and drive to push to the top who tend to do that as part of putting out a dominating aura, for want of a better phrase. The closest to doing it now is Terunofuji, I think, but no one else quite has the cojones and skill to give it back to him in return.

Takakeisho is the only other top ranker who can match him in will and therefore do something like this, but he prefers to affect a more serene Takanohana-style nirame-ai (considering his start in sumo, not entirely surprising).

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I'm thinking that it's actually a bit of the reverse; it's rikishi who have the will and drive to push to the top who tend to do that as part of putting out a dominating aura, for want of a better phrase. The closest to doing it now is Terunofuji, I think, but no one else quite has the cojones and skill to give it back to him in return.

Takakeisho is the only other top ranker who can match him in will and therefore do something like this, but he prefers to affect a more serene Takanohana-style nirame-ai (considering his start in sumo, not entirely surprising).

What I have in mind is moments like around 01:30 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfnI316Bxl8

24 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

What I have in mind is moments like around 01:30 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfnI316Bxl8

Could there also be something in the camerawork also? As you said, for a meh bout in the middle of day 3, you wouldn't bother zooming in to that degree on the rikishi's face; it'd be the standard jomen shot +  two angled shots for each rikishi as they back off before the tachiai proper.

7 hours ago, Athenayama said:

Unless my brain tricks me, I remember times when riskishi often had long provocative eye contacts before a bout, defying their opponent. I had fun with that, it made the coming up bout even more exciting. I don't have any specific examples of rikishi in my mind right now but there where several using that "trick".

It seems that this happens extremely rarely anymore so I'm wondering. Was it some kind of "fashion" those days that has passed? Has there been any "instructions" not to do it anymore for some reason?

And what is your view about it? Did you like it or not when it happened? Also if you have specific footage of some bout with such "provocative" eye contact, feel free to post it here. I know there are a lot, I just can't remember any specific. 

Goeido vs Harumafuji in Goeidos zensho yusho tournament was the last great stare I think. You can still find it on Kintamayama youtube.

I was so hyped when I first saw it and I still am when rewatching that bout. Kintamayama desribed it as "oh Momma!".

• Like 1

Oh, man. Goeidou and Shohozan had some awesome ones, too. I especially remember it before the match where Shohozan face-palmed Goeidou out of the ring in Nagoya 2013. That was my desktop wallpaper for a long time. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gooner said:

Goeido vs Harumafuji in Goeidos zensho yusho tournament was the last great stare I think.

The stare down starts at 2:50.  I love the Gyoji's reaction to the stare.

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 1

Niramiai. Shouhouzan, Takatouriki, Akebono, Asashouryuu. Hardly happens anymore.

Hakuho vs Asashoryu is a classic.

In the recent crop, Terutsuyoshi and Hoshoryu seem to get their glower on occasionally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sumojoann said:

The stare down starts at 2:50.  I love the Gyoji's reaction to the stare.

What's with the shuffle from Harumafuji?  Did he just want to tell him "this is what Yokozuna do"?

Here's a really unique stare down.  It's POST BOUT!!!!  I'm sure y'all remember this classic! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gooner said:

Goeido vs Harumafuji in Goeidos zensho yusho tournament was the last great stare I think. You can still find it on Kintamayama youtube.

I was so hyped when I first saw it and I still am when rewatching that bout. Kintamayama desribed it as "oh Momma!".

Do you think Goeido's never forgotten what Harumafuji did to him in his debut makuuchi tournament?

5 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Here's a really unique stare down.  It's POST BOUT!!!!  I'm sure y'all remember this classic!

That's the sort that earns you the rarest stare down in sumo - the rijicho's.

• Haha 3

On 12/05/2021 at 15:48, Faustonowaka said:

Akebono vs Takatoriki, haru 2000

Absolutely!! Akebono had knives coming out of his eyes...and then, if memory serves me correctly, he promptly lost the match! :-)

2 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

Absolutely!! Akebono had knives coming out of his eyes...and then, if memory serves me correctly, he promptly lost the match! :-)

Found it!  Haru 2000 Day 14.  The encounter between Akebono and Takatoriki begins at 12:45.  The knives in Akebono's eyes REALLY come out at 13:02!!  WOW!!!  Takatoriki quickly lost.  I wonder how Hakuho would or could have dealt with those knives. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Ah, the Eurosport summarys, my entry into sumo. 

I think Hakusho would have handled it like his ones against Asashoryu.

• Like 1

Konishiki in his early Makunouchi career was keen on the eyeballing, there's a great example in January 1985 of him and Hokutenyu facing off, topped off by Hokutenyu unleashing an awesome shitatenage.

Swami

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Swami said:

Konishiki in his early Makunouchi career was keen on the eyeballing, there's a great example in January 1985 of him and Hokutenyu facing off, topped off by Hokutenyu unleashing an awesome shitatenage.

Swami

Hide contents

Nothing comes up on my screen when I try to view the hidden contents.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Nothing comes up on my screen when I try to view the hidden contents.

For some reason I hit a button by mistake which has brought that up!  I haven't a clue what I did!

Swami

6 hours ago, Swami said:

For some reason I hit a button by mistake which has brought that up!  I haven't a clue what I did!

Might be the spoiler tag (the eye button on the editing interface between the <> marks and the emoji).

• Like 1

How about Roho and Chiyotaikai all those years ago?

Swami