Asashosakari

Banzuke for Natsu 2021

Raking up another record.

What was the record for sitting out tournaments (as a yokozuna) again? He probably has a long time till he gets that.

1 hour ago, Jemuzu said:

How is that even possible?

Benefitted from the cancelled maezumo session in March. Normally the only rookies who get ranked behind him are the unfortunate few who finished maezumo winless; this time it's everyone.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Churaumi said:

I see they got Kotoyuuki off the banzuke in time. It's a highly personal gripe but it bugs me when a retiree is sitting in a spot someone could have made use of. 

It only bugs me when they occupy a sekitori spot someone else could have had; the most recent example being Kotoshogiku keeping Oho out of juryo.

3 hours ago, Morning said:

Raking up another record.

What was the record for sitting out tournaments (as a yokozuna) again? He probably has a long time till he gets that.

Takanohana has 11. This will be Hakuho's 8th. He will tie with Akebono and Kakuryu.

Don't know if there are others with more full kyujo as a Yok.

4 hours ago, Karasukurai said:

Poor Ikioi, a big drop after his surgery. Surely he's intai this time around and taking up his elder stock?

Or, he does a Terunofuji and is back in sanyaku for May 2022.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

It only bugs me when they occupy a sekitori spot someone else could have had; the most recent example being Kotoshogiku keeping Oho out of juryo.

Have to agree there, him holding onto a ms-40-something isn't holding anyone back.

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

Have to agree there, him holding onto a ms-40-something isn't holding anyone back.

Isn't it surreal to look down the banzuke and see

Ikioi  Ms41  Kotoyuki   ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jemuzu said:

How is that even possible?

Retirements and no maezumo last basho means that the newbies all start below him?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Churaumi said:

If anything, it'll make Takeoka face slightly lower ranked opposition than he'd otherwise have faced in his race up the banzuke.

4 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Isn't it surreal to look down the banzuke and see

Ikioi  Ms41  Kotoyuki   ?

I think the shock to my eye of seeing Ikioi that low is why I read the banzuke three times and still couldn't see Kotoyuki.

• Like 1

Looking at this banzuke, it seems that the days of underdemoting MKs in preference to overpromoting KKs are gone.  Hidenoumi vaulting from M15w to M6e with a 10-5 record?  I had him rather generously placed at M8w and gave Takarafuji and Onosho the most banzuke luck as the biggest losers.

If 0-7 gets you from Jk24 to Jk9, our boy probably needs only ten or fifteen more years of winlessness to become Yokozuna.  Surely a tradition that rookies winless in maezumo take the bottom slots must be retired when a rikishi emerges who has lost to such rookies at least a hundred times already.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Ichimawashi said:

If 0-7 gets you from Jk24 to Jk9, our boy probably needs only ten or fifteen more years of winlessness to become Yokozuna.  Surely a tradition that rookies winless in maezumo take the bottom slots must be retired when a rikishi emerges who has lost to such rookies at least a hundred times already.

It is the yearly March Madness result.  :-P

2 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

If 0-7 gets you from Jk24 to Jk9, our boy probably needs only ten or fifteen more years of winlessness to become Yokozuna.

Well, you need to fight like a yokozuna to become one.

He should go kyujo ;-)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

Surely a tradition that rookies winless in maezumo take the bottom slots must be retired when a rikishi emerges who has lost to such rookies at least a hundred times already.

Fortunately the ranking in jonokuchi doesn't mean much, as (since 2008) a kk gets you promoted to jonidan wherever you are on the list.

19 hours ago, Kintamayama said:
23 hours ago, Karasukurai said:

Poor Ikioi, a big drop after his surgery. Surely he's intai this time around and taking up his elder stock?

Or, he does a Terunofuji and is back in sanyaku for May 2022.

It would be nice! What another story that would be. I don't think he has anything left in the tank though. I'd love to be proved wrong.

18 hours ago, rhyen said:

Retirements and no maezumo last basho means that the newbies all start below him?

I understand this explanation, but I'm not sure: why were there no Maezumo results last basho?

14 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

No! Ikioi must survive! :'-(

I've never got why Ikioi has so many ardent fans. Is it because he's good looking and can sing?

1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

I've never got why Ikioi has so many ardent fans. Is it because he's good looking and can sing?

I'm also a fan, not as huge as Kinta, but still. I also very much like his personality above the mentioned. I mean - what I discovered about his personality. He is humble and looks like he has a great heart. 

I'm not into sumotori, so I'm not sure about his looks, but he indeed has a great voice! :) 

4 hours ago, Wakaebala said:

I understand this explanation, but I'm not sure: why were there no Maezumo results last basho?

Cancelling all shindeshi ceremonies was one of the steps they took to increase safety & diminish contagion risks.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

He has a charismatic personality, and his manners are impeccable. His fighting spirit is also really enormous. He never tanks, and until recently, never went kyujo.

I also love how raucous the Osaka crowds used to get when Ikioi was up. I remember in Haru 2018 when he was clearly had a badly injured ankle, but he seemed to be drawing power from the crowd support and somehow, somehow, got to 11 wins.

Looking at it just from  an input-output view, it appears that banzuke-gai is for rikishi who aren't capable of winning and aren't getting on the dohyo, and Jonokuchi is for those who are getting on the dohyo.  If you remember that someone has to win a match, there can be wrestlers that are as bad as can be -- but better than you-know-whozakura.  In this world, even getting a three-win makekoshi means maybe you don't belong there.  Thus a rikishi at the bottom of Jonidan who goes kyujo (or maybe scores 1-6) will get stuffed down the hatch into Jonokuchi ("maybe he can't wrestle at all!").  If he gets a couple of makekoshi at 3-4, he gets brought back into Jonidan.

3 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I started watching Ozumo in 2017 when Ikioi was a mainstay of Makuuchi.  Pre-tachiai, he always looked like he couldn't wait to start.  93 basho without a missed day, even through injuries and health conditions that ended up destroying his abilities (IMHO).  Always unfailingly polite to his opponent.  5 kinboshi, usually as part of a losing tournament.  He isn't my fave, but I have a lot of respect for him.

28 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Looking at it just from  an input-output view, it appears that banzuke-gai is for rikishi who aren't capable of winning and aren't getting on the dohyo, and Jonokuchi is for those who are getting on the dohyo.  If you remember that someone has to win a match, there can be wrestlers that are as bad as can be -- but better than you-know-whozakura.  In this world, even getting a three-win makekoshi means maybe you don't belong there.  Thus a rikishi at the bottom of Jonidan who goes kyujo (or maybe scores 1-6) will get stuffed down the hatch into Jonokuchi ("maybe he can't wrestle at all!").  If he gets a couple of makekoshi at 3-4, he gets brought back into Jonidan.

Indeed, all you have to do to stay in jonokuchi is to get on the dohyo. That's why you see injured rikishi turning up to fight just one match a tournament to prevent themselves going banzuke-gai.